Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: Taiko Audio with 'Evo spec' meets MSB Select II digital + NVS tt

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Mr. Lavigne is already using HP Trinia’s under his Tripoint successfully in his system. I tried them too under my Elite and initially was spooked by how ghostly Dean Martin could make my wife jumped off her chair. I even wrote to tell Mike about it. Then I kept on listening more and more, I found them took away all my system liquidity. The aliveness, energetic up front presentation of my system was replaced by a meter pushed back presentation with ghostly very well textured dimensional dry sound. So it was like I threw all my tube magic away. What I am saying is antivibe doesn’t work at advantage in all systems. Jazzhead also brought Bonzo’s Mooks for me to try. I placed them under the Elite again. Pretty much the same thing happened but at much lesser degree than Trinia’s.

Kind regards,
    Tang
    Sorry but mooks were meant to be tried under active components. Let's see what happens when I reach you and place them properly. In the meantime, jazz head has added 4 sets to his system
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    Sorry but mooks were meant to be tried under active components. Let's see what happens when I reach you and place them properly. In the meantime, jazz head has added 4 sets to his system
    I am thinking of using your Mooks for smoking bbq spareribs.

Tang

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    I am thinking of using your Mooks for smoking bbq spareribs.

Tang
    Those will be the most expensive spareribs ever bbq-ed
    You can never have enough power !!
    Custom speaker in progress

Can help with recomendations for hotels and good food in munich

Hello Mike,

I have realized, that highend-amps sound different depending on the position in the room. Sometimes not only a bit. Because everything else is equal, the only explanation for me is a general sensivity of equipment for vibrations. Every point in your room has different (bass) modes (frequency and strength). So I believe depending on individual dimensions, weight and other factors the machine vibrates at different frequencies. Which causes microphonic effects in different range at the sensible electronics you use.

I could tune my former amp with the position which was the best. So I am not really surprised by your discovery. If you can avoid this vibrations with your Tanas, a lot of disturbance is gone and the music plays more clean. I believe that is what you find out.

So congratulations with your new Tana toy and the benefit it brings!

With my new NHB-458 I am also on the way the check out where I will position them and if I use a platform or put them directly on the floor. Only they are so damned heavy. Up to now I preferred to leave the amps pure on the floor. I had the feeling they play faster and more directly. With amp stand more relaxed. So once I have "digest" the darTZeel purchase, maybe I will follow your advice with the Tanas.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redandgold View Post
    Hello Mike,

I have realized, that highend-amps sound different depending on the position in the room. Sometimes not only a bit. Because everything else is equal, the only explanation for me is a general sensivity of equipment for vibrations. Every point in your room has different (bass) modes (frequency and strength). So I believe depending on individual dimensions, weight and other factors the machine vibrates at different frequencies. Which causes microphonic effects in different range at the sensible electronics you use.

I could tune my former amp with the position which was the best. So I am not really surprised by your discovery. If you can avoid this vibrations with your Tanas, a lot of disturbance is gone and the music plays more clean. I believe that is what you find out.

With my new NHB-458 I am also on the way the check out where I will position them and if I use a platform or put them directly on the floor. Only they are so damned heavy. Up to now I preferred to leave the amps pure on the floor. I had the feeling they play faster and more directly. With amp stand more relaxed. So once I have "digest" the darTZeel purchase, maybe I will follow your advice with the Tanas.
    redandgold (nice moniker btw),

congrats on your new NHB-458's. they are my favorite amplifier.

I think when you have such a clear window to the music as the 458's, that allows so much musical message to come through, it reveals as significant every small step forward. so a device such as the Tana gives the most possible benefit. would every amplifier receive the same degree of boost from the Tana? or would every system allow for the same benefit...or more? I cannot say.

and I've not done that 'in-between' step of placing my 458's on the floor.....compared to those Box Furniture stands. so I cannot help with knowing that delta of difference. however; I do know how that sort of change worked for other gear as I used the Tana elsewhere so I have a feel for it.

I will look forward to hearing about your 'Tana-458' experience when it happens.

best regards,

Mike
    Wave Kin. NVS tt, AS-2000 ord. (2) Durand Telos (1-Sapphire) arms, CA Gold Stat, Ort Anna carts, -2- Studer A-820 RTR (1/4" + 1/2").*MSB Select II dac w/33 Femto clock + mono powerbases, SGM serv + (2x) 30 tb NAS. *darT NHB-18NS w/2 phonos, King-Cello. *dart 458 mono blocks. EA MM7. *Equi=tech 10WQ, (10) Abso Fid PC & (2) Evo Acou PC. *Evo Acou 12' TRSC and 8m + 1.25m 'zeel' ic's, *Tripoint Troy Sig + Elite, Entreq Sil Tel + Pos, *Herzan TS-140 & TS-150, Wave Kin. A10 U8's + 2NS, Adona GTX.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redandgold View Post
    Hello Mike,

Hi, what speakers are you driving with these amps? And are you also using the Dartzeel pre/phono? If so, what's the rest of the analog set up? Thanks
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
    redandgold (nice moniker btw),

congrats on your new NHB-458's. they are my favorite amplifier.

I think when you have such a clear window to the music as the 458's, that allows so much musical message to come through, it reveals as significant every small step forward. so a device such as the Tana gives the most possible benefit. would every amplifier receive the same degree of boost from the Tana? or would every system allow for the same benefit...or more? I cannot say.

and I've not done that 'in-between' step of placing my 458's on the floor.....compared to those Box Furniture stands. so I cannot help with knowing that delta of difference. however; I do know how that sort of change worked for other gear as I used the Tana elsewhere so I have a feel for it.

I will look forward to hearing about your 'Tana-458' experience when it happens.

best regards,

Mike
    Hi Mike,

I believe the general effects of vibration control are the same with different levels of audio gear and set up. But with more effort to set up your room and more sensible equipment you hear easier the effects. Before I owned a pair of McIntosh MC 1,2 kW (I loved the sound, best of between tube and ss) and even there differences were easy detectable. Contrary point of view: The better everything is running, the easier you can mess up the sound with small issues.

I have not yet decided if I first go the passive way or not. The comparison of different amp stands or racks is not easy. It takes a lot of time to unplug the cables, remove the equipment, then the racks, build the new rack and install everything again. In the meantime the machines are cold. Hard to say what causes the different sound after this time. Maybe that is the reason you find nowhere a review comparison of different amp stand/rack systems. Have you ever seen one? Me not.

Additional unplugging the signal cables of your darTZeel is always a risk (breaker blow). I admire you to exchange and test so often your valuable NHB-458s.

redandgold

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    Hi, what speakers are you driving with these amps? And are you also using the Dartzeel pre/phono? If so, what's the rest of the analog set up? Thanks
    Hi Bonzo75,

with my precious amps I drive a pair of WA Alexia. This combination suits in my opinion. My darTZeels have to work more hardly than the Evolutions of Mike. The Alexia impedance is really bad to amps, but the darTZeel are powerful enough.

Sorry, up to now I had not the time to say hello in your self introduction part. I will do this a soon as possible... O.K.?

redandgold

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112