MSB Renderer v2 in the house!

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
sandpat,

No, there is no web interface to the Renderer v2.
The Renderer never had Wi-Fi.
Oh, Analog DAC has no settings, so there's nothing to access/change. Just plug it in and listen to music :)

sandpat

Sep 5, 2018
Thanks Alex.

My used Analog DAC came with a Wi-Fi module in the back, installed in the deeper module slot.

In the manual it says an optional Wi-Fi interface is possible to control a few settings (also controllable through optional RS-232 interface as well).

Would you happen to know of any documentation to setup this Wi-Fi module correctly?

koalakoala

Aug 10, 2017
The WiFi interface manual can be found at the Discontinued Product Manuals section of msbtechnology website.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I can't find any reference to the Wi-Fi Control module on the MSB website. I didn't even recall one being available for Analog DACs!
Anyway, IMHO, it's not worth your while to mess with that, given that all you'll be able to do with it is to change inputs, volume and invert polarity. All of that you can do with a remote control.
The Wi-Fi module was more useful in the DAC IV/V days, when you had a plethora of filters and upsampling options, and it might've been useful for quick switching between those. Since the Analog never did offer those options, you're likely better off with a remote control :)

cheers,
alex

sandpat

Sep 5, 2018
Got it. Thanks all! I do have the aluminum remote so I’ll stick to that. I thought on the Analog I had a choice of switching between filters but it seems I do not, so I’m good. Thanks

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I think there was a separate WiFi module, which was housed an an external chassis - same as the DAC and PSU. I have seen one a few years back. It must have been was a very short lived product.

Update, there it is:

msb.jpg

Last edited:

sandpat

Sep 5, 2018
There was also a slide in WI-FI module for the Analog DAC. I received an old manual from MSB for it. You’re right in that it’s pretty much phased out and isn’t used today. If someone can help me figure out how to attach it here I’d be happy to upload it for others.

sandpat

Sep 5, 2018
Well a few months in and my brand new Network Renderer v2 is not working. It keeps skipping every microsecond during playback. I have eliminated all other causes (network congestion by isolating it with the player containing a built-in network bridge and disconnecting from external switch), changing out all cables, attempting playback through DLNA (JRiver) instead of RAAT (Roon), playing through the Quad Rate USB (working fine), switching slots in the back between USB and the Renderer, etc, etc.

The first indication I had that this module might not be working correctly is when I first played a DSF (DSD) file. It was about a month when I first tried DSD and I heard only silence (no music). Eventually after keeping it running for hours silently, it started outputting music although it skipped once in a while.

After trying to switch back to PCM music, it wouldn't play at all.. skipped through all the songs. Somehow I feel switching between PCM (working originally) to DSD caused some sort of problem, and now I can't play either.

Quad Rate USB works fine as mentioned above. Such a heartbreaker.. I've written MSB Tech Support.. let's see what they come back with.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
It's the second case I've known in the last month. The previous mentioned the owner of a Premier in Audioshark.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
If you're in the US, and you need help with MSB stuff, please contact me.

I'd just like to point out we've sold a dozen of those modules, and not one has failed. There was a small glitch with playback through JRiver before, but the latest software update fixed that.

cheers,
alex

V-Squared

Jun 9, 2017
Well a few months in and my brand new Network Renderer v2 is not working. It keeps skipping every microsecond during playback. I have eliminated all other causes (network congestion by isolating it with the player containing a built-in network bridge and disconnecting from external switch), changing out all cables, attempting playback through DLNA (JRiver) instead of RAAT (Roon), playing through the Quad Rate USB (working fine), switching slots in the back between USB and the Renderer, etc, etc.

The first indication I had that this module might not be working correctly is when I first played a DSF (DSD) file. It was about a month when I first tried DSD and I heard only silence (no music). Eventually after keeping it running for hours silently, it started outputting music although it skipped once in a while.

After trying to switch back to PCM music, it wouldn't play at all.. skipped through all the songs. Somehow I feel switching between PCM (working originally) to DSD caused some sort of problem, and now I can't play either.

Quad Rate USB works fine as mentioned above. Such a heartbreaker.. I've written MSB Tech Support.. let's see what they come back with.

Sandpat,

Have have you tried the latest firmware (recently released)? Check the version on your DAC by going into the menu screen and scrolling down where it indicates “Code” where it indicates your firmware revision. While there, continue scrolling down where you observe Renderer, under inputs and note: 1) that you observe an IP address and the Renderer fw version (e.g. “IP Add 192.168.1.xxx R1.28R”), where R1.28R is the latest. If you don’t observe an IP address, you are not connected to the network. I like assigning a fixed IP address (even within DHCP) in my router so it never changes. This firmware update helps detect network IP addresses, particularly after a power reset, which may be your problem.

If you have the Select II, you should observe “Code 2.5.2.0” for the latest firmware.

If you have the Reference, you should observe “Code 25.20” for the latest firmware.

If not, please follow the instructions here:

For the Select II, under Select DAC Firmware: http://www.msbtechnology.com/dacs/select-support/

For the Reference, under Reference DAC firmware: http://www.msbtechnology.com/dacs/reference-support/

and then confirm the upgrade occurred as when you checked the code previously. This process will unfold the DAC firmware and with a little time, the Renderer firmware will be auto extracted and updated as well. Check the Renderer input as well and confirm that you observe an assigned IP Address, and that the rev is R1.28R.

Make sure ROON is also up to date, then select “settings” and select “audio” then on the right side of that menu, look for the MSB Reference or Select DAC under the Networked section. To the right of the DAC, Select the “i” in the “O” - the information icon, and confirm that the Version reflects R1.28R here as well.

Hope that helps resolve your issue.

Regards,

V2

sandpat

Sep 5, 2018
Sandpat,

Have have you tried the latest firmware (recently released)? Check the version on your DAC by going into the menu screen and scrolling down where it indicates “Code” where it indicates your firmware revision. While there, continue scrolling down where you observe Renderer, under inputs and note: 1) that you observe an IP address and the Renderer fw version (e.g. “IP Add 192.168.1.xxx R1.28R”), where R1.28R is the latest. If you don’t observe an IP address, you are not connected to the network. I like assigning a fixed IP address (even within DHCP) in my router so it never changes. This firmware update helps detect network IP addresses, particularly after a power reset, which may be your problem.

If you have the Select II, you should observe “Code 2.5.2.0” for the latest firmware.

If you have the Reference, you should observe “Code 25.20” for the latest firmware.

If not, please follow the instructions here:

For the Select II, under Select DAC Firmware: http://www.msbtechnology.com/dacs/select-support/

For the Reference, under Reference DAC firmware: http://www.msbtechnology.com/dacs/reference-support/

and then confirm the upgrade occurred as when you checked the code previously. This process will unfold the DAC firmware and with a little time, the Renderer firmware will be auto extracted and updated as well. Check the Renderer input as well and confirm that you observe an assigned IP Address, and that the rev is R1.28R.

Make sure ROON is also up to date, then select “settings” and select “audio” then on the right side of that menu, look for the MSB Reference or Select DAC under the Networked section. To the right of the DAC, Select the “i” in the “O” - the information icon, and confirm that the Version reflects R1.28R here as well.

Hope that helps resolve your issue.

Regards,

V2

Hi Guys!

Thanks for your help. It’s an Analog DAC and yes I upgraded firmware yesterday but same problem. I’ll have to wait and see what MSB says.

Alex, thanks for your offer to help. If I end up nowhere with MSB I’ll reach out. I’ve enjoyed your rooms at the various audio shows over the years!

Thanks,
SP

sandpat

Sep 5, 2018
Hi Guys!

Thanks for your help. It’s an Analog DAC and yes I upgraded firmware yesterday but same problem. I’ll have to wait and see what MSB says.

Alex, thanks for your offer to help. If I end up nowhere with MSB I’ll reach out. I’ve enjoyed your rooms at the various audio shows over the years!

Thanks,
SP

Update- I have sent my whole DAC with renderer in for a check-up with MSB. Let you know what they find. It could be the DAC or the Network Renderer v2 module. The folks at MSB are really great to deal with.

V-Squared

Jun 9, 2017
Update- I have sent my whole DAC with renderer in for a check-up with MSB. Let you know what they find. It could be the DAC or the Network Renderer v2 module. The folks at MSB are really great to deal with.

Excellent. That will surely do the trick! You can’t beat their service!

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
Hi Guys!

Thanks,
SP
I have the same problem with the select DAC. Roon can not see it. Althoug it sees the Transport as Oppo with no issues. Should we wait for another firmware update from Roon or MSB? Thanks.

catastrofe

Feb 17, 2012
Saint Louis
I concur. . .MSB's service is exemplary. I purchased a pre-owned Analog DAC earlier this year and the Renderer wasn't working. Sent it back and they fixed it at no charge.

I'm curious as to how you received a V2 Renderer. . .MSB advises that for the Analog DAC, they won't be available until mid-January.

Number9

Oct 15, 2018
Since I am in the final stages of getting my new system in order I have a a few questions for MSB DAC owners that have sold off their SOTA preamp. First, was the reason for selling off your preamp to help offset the price of admission, or can you unequivocally say that you are better off without? Secondly, did you ever try or consider trying a passive preamp (Music First, Bent Audio, Bespoke, etc.) rather than spend for the upgraded preamp module for the MSB? I was very impressed with the MSB Reference when I heard it at Alma Audio with D’agastino and YG but there are so many great alternatives.

V-Squared

Jun 9, 2017
Hi Number9,

In my case, I already had a preamp, so it wasn't a factor of justifying the investment in the MSB DAC. I had the VAC Signature MKIIa - a wonderful preamp by all means, but when I made the comparison with the MSB direct, it was, as most describe, as though a veil had been lifted - the clarity was vastly enhanced - a night and day difference. I even tried purchasing quite expensive, high end, matched tubes, which were said to be more resolving, but for me, the direct option was more to my liking.

Later, I auditioned the Bespoke passive preamp in my system, and I have to say, they really place a lot of attention to detail - a very nice product. But again, it didn't seem to improve the direct option, and for some reason, added hum to the system - I couldn't figure out why - perhaps a defect during shipping or perhaps I needed to revisit my grounding schema? But in the end, I opted for the MSB Reference direct.

Regards,

V2

Reactions: CKKeung

catastrofe

Feb 17, 2012
Saint Louis
Since I am in the final stages of getting my new system in order I have a a few questions for MSB DAC owners that have sold off their SOTA preamp. First, was the reason for selling off your preamp to help offset the price of admission, or can you unequivocally say that you are better off without? Secondly, did you ever try or consider trying a passive preamp (Music First, Bent Audio, Bespoke, etc.) rather than spend for the upgraded preamp module for the MSB? I was very impressed with the MSB Reference when I heard it at Alma Audio with D’agastino and YG but there are so many great alternatives.
When I owned the MSB Platinum DAC IV, I used it without a preamp and found the presentation to be extremely clear and neutral. I sold that DAC to fund an analog rig and went full blown tubes (Atma-Sphere amps and preamp).

I now have an Analog DAC feeding direct to an MSB S201 amp. Fantastic sound, minimal cabling to get in the way.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing