The Absolute Sound review FM

wgerman

Jul 4, 2012
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/art...-linearizer-fm-108-monoblock-power-amplifier/

Interesting quote-

"The truth is that FM’s reticence with the press may have cost it some marketshare, as the newer companies I’ve mentioned have actively courted attention in the audiophile mags, while FM has continued to forgo such publicity. In part to counter this trend (and in equal part to remind folks that what was once considered extraordinary is still extraordinary) FM has now decided to allow a few folks (like me) to review its latest designs—in this case its extremely compact and comparatively affordable Resolution Series electronics, comprising the $17,750 155 MkIIR linestage preamplifier, the $21,600/pair 108 monoblock amplifiers, and the $13,975 122 MkII phonostage. "

Jujuhound

Nov 23, 2018
Slovenia
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/art...-linearizer-fm-108-monoblock-power-amplifier/

Interesting quote-

"The truth is that FM’s reticence with the press may have cost it some marketshare, as the newer companies I’ve mentioned have actively courted attention in the audiophile mags, while FM has continued to forgo such publicity. In part to counter this trend (and in equal part to remind folks that what was once considered extraordinary is still extraordinary) FM has now decided to allow a few folks (like me) to review its latest designs—in this case its extremely compact and comparatively affordable Resolution Series electronics, comprising the $17,750 155 MkIIR linestage preamplifier, the $21,600/pair 108 monoblock amplifiers, and the $13,975 122 MkII phonostage. "

Today there was a world premiere presentation of the new FM sub speaker. Fabulous sound in combination with their best speakers. No idea about technical details and price.

Reactions: hogen

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Reactions: bvdiman and Golum

Jujuhound

Nov 23, 2018
Slovenia
CKKeung thanks, I saw these photos on Monoandstereo website. Actually I was there when Matej Isak of Monoandstereo was taking these photos. I did not post my own photos which are more or less same.
Spent there about five hours listening different music genres. Fantastic with one word. Top system of FMA. Mr. Manuel Huber present as well with his explanations. Extraordinary event.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Jujuhound,

I have only ever heard the FM Monos 108 and 111s (in our system). I have not heard their speakers. Were you able to discern what the TS-1 was doing to the overall sound presentation? Most intrigued that they have come up with a sub.

Jujuhound

Nov 23, 2018
Slovenia
Hi LL21
Unfortunately I cannot use any comparison. I wanted to hear FMA system playing at Munich 2019 High-end event, however due to different reasons I did not in spite of being there. As you know much better than me, not so easy to audition the FMA system, especially if we are talking about their top constellation, therefore I was very pleased to catch a once in a lifetime opportunity to hear this famous system during the subject presentation. It is true that the hotel presentation hall was not satisfactory acoustically treated, but that is more or less case with all similar events. The local area dealer felt sorry not to put a carpet that would help a bit, however it is impossible to expect ideal conditions for such two days event.
If the system was private, placed in properly treated room than this was probably a right recipe for reaching nirvana (audio).
They ( Mr. Huber and the local area dealer ) used mainly analogue source ( state if the art Vertere tt with excellent arm and cartridge ) with many musical genres. It was not limited to their choice. We, the listeners were encouraged to ask for our musical wishes. Anything being played, no objections, no colorations, no distortions. Never experienced Nina Simone so crystal clear that could see into her soul, and man believe me, that soul was deep, really deep.
So many greatest conductors, classical, jazz, rock musicians chose FMA to be their audio nirvana gear, therefore who am I to potentially criticise or trying to find anything that would minimise the overall quality of the subject system.
Orchestral dynamic "explosions" were carried out with unbelievable ease, without even feeling vibrations if you touched the speaker.
As explained briefly by Mr. Huber, the driver in the sub is suspended on top inside.
As I said I cannot compare, can only say that the combination was fantastic.
I could continue on and on but would better conclude with the statement that as a humble mortal was and am infinitely grateful to have this fantastic opportunity to be present during that subject presentation.
Warmly recommended if you or anybody catch a chance in the future.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: infinitely baffled

Jujuhound

Nov 23, 2018
Slovenia
Thanks bonzo75 for above to help those who are deeply interested for FMA to get more detailed explanations and comparisons......

Jujuhound

Nov 23, 2018
Slovenia
One nice presentation of FM phono lineariser was when Mr. Huber put on the tt seriously scratched ( intentionally done in the past, probably by knife ) lp record and after playing "scratched music", pressing one button and the music played was totally "clean", without any scratches sounds etc.
Something useful for some of my records from seventies when did not care much about lps bought and played......

Reactions: CKKeung

Jujuhound

Nov 23, 2018
Slovenia
The sub speakers are/ were not driven separately but in combination with the main 7 drivers 5 way speakers. When Mr. Huber disconnected main speakers one could not hear the subs, they played again when main speakers amps switched on again. No masking or "" overpotent" boom boom or feeling exaggerated presence of the subs, only harmony, synergy, mutual cooperation and understanding.....

Reactions: CKKeung

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing