Degritter ultrasonic record cleaner

Hi y’all, just a few words on what I think is a worthy alternative to the Audio Desk Systeme and KLAudio ultrasonic cleaners.

http://degritter.com/media-kit/

I’ve been a beta tester on the Degritter for the last few weeks, and am happy to offer my opinions and answer any qs for those interested.

I believe official launch is in early May, and at this stage after a couple of quibbles in day to day use, I’m planning to keep my unit, it’s been a pretty good success, and invaluable addition to day to day life as a vinyl addict.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I was glad to find this thread as part of my research on the Degritter record cleaner.

I've just ordered one of the production models, which are supposed to ship in September. (Fingers crossed).

One reason I've ordered a Degritter is that it's exactly the product I would want in a record cleaner. So I'm doing my part to help this product (and of course own one) along by putting out some money.

Though I've had an old micro seiki turntable for years, which saw occaisional used in my system, my vinyl buying was increasing to the point I finally jumped in to the deep end with a higher end vinyl playback system (includes a Transrotor Fat Bob S turntable).
The vinyl is piling up and it really does need some cleaning.

But whenever I researched record cleaning - or observed a friend's vinyl cleaner - it was frankly a big turn off. Essentially it added a level of chore to this hobby that was off-putting. I don't want listening to records to be any more of a chore than necessary.

So the Degritter's plug and play nature, just drop it in press a button and go off to do whatever I want and return to a clean record, is exactly what I was looking for. Not to mention the fact it's the only good looking RCM I've seen (pretty much every other one is an eyesore I'd have to locate in a less convenient area). It actually looks kind of fun to operate.

I noted that beta testers seemed very positive both on the machine itself, and the interaction and responsiveness of the Degritter team. I can vouch for some of that as Taniel has been very helpful and responsive in answering any questions or concerns.

Finally, I looked at the just released video demonstrating the Degritter's latest feature of having 3 different fan settings so you can vary the loudness of the drying cycle (obviously increasing drying time with lower settings). This is yet another feature that is exactly what I need.
I have really sensitive hearing and would even want to wear earplugs for some of the drying cycle of many RCMs. Being able to choose a quiet drying cycle will not only be more comfortable for me, but would also increase the flexibility of where I can place the Degritter. If it were only a loud fan setting, I'd have to place it well away from my work or my turntable room, and also somewhere it wouldn't bother family members in use. A really quiet drying cycle opens more possibilities up.

FYI, here is the video Degritter fan noise settings demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy9BKluBOI0

I turned the sound up on my computer and used a sound level meter app to measure the relative loudness of the settings. It seems the Medium fan setting is about -5dB down from the high, and the Low setting is around -18 dB from the high setting, which is obviously quite significant.

I'll report back in to this thread with some user experience when I receive my Degritter.

Well...more delays so we still haven't received our Degritters. But the explanation for the delays are understandable, and expected in a start up project. The team is still very good with communication and they seem confident the retail machines will be shipping to us starting late January.

Boy, I've built up a heck of a lot of new record purchases I need cleaned!

Good luck w yours. I’m really happy I went in as beta tester.

Hi spirit!

Do you use the Degritter cleaning fluid when you clean your records?

If so I'm wondering if you've noticed any detriment at all to using the fluid. I know that quite a number of people in to Ultra Sonic cleaners don't like the idea of using a cleaning fluid, or if they do they wash it off after. So I'm curious about your experience.

Thanks.

Reactions: Kyle1
COF, I'm not sure I can help here. I've used a little of the supplied cleaning solution right from the start, so no comparison to eau au natural.

COF, I'm not sure I can help here. I've used a little of the supplied cleaning solution right from the start, so no comparison to eau au natural.

Ok, thanks. So it seems you haven't noticed any detriment to using the fluid. No build up on your cartridge or any added surface noise I presume

IB, there have been some delays on shipping out final production units. I'm ok on the wait, but I could imagine it's frustrating if you're a potential new customer. Me? I'm happy as long as the final product is reliable and robust.

I think current price is just over €2k.

I can't compare Degritter to KL, or ADS, but I'm v happy in the level of cleaning that still seems better than my previous RCM.

The price will be 2600euros including 20%vat. Their new schedule is; start shipping out the first retail machines at the first week of February and to set up a web store by the 20th of February.

This is what I have been told a few days ago.

Reactions: infinitely baffled
The price will be 2600euros including 20%vat. Their new schedule is; start shipping out the first retail machines at the first week of February and to set up a web store by the 20th of February.

This is what I have been told a few days ago.

That's good to hear. I bought in quite early which suggests my unit should be shipping soon! Can't wait. Honestly for me in terms of record cleaning it's either the Degritter or nothing. As I've mentioned, I'm not looking to turn vinyl listening in to an additional chore in my life and that's why a "place the record in, push a button and leave" system is just what I was looking for. And the Degritter is IMO the only good looking USRC on the market, the rest looking to me like shop prototypes, generally less advanced and flexible, not to mention awfully loud (the Degritter's 3 different drying levels allows for a much quieter dry cycle if desired).

I won't mind the occaisonal change of water/filter given the general ease of use this promises.

Reactions: infinitely baffled
Just joined up to this forum ... noticed this thread. I've also been a Degritter beta tester since last Spring and I've been well-impressed.

I started off doing combined cleans with my Loricraft PRS6 (Loricraft for first pass, Degritter second).but increasingly as the beta versions stabilized and became more thorough in terms of cleaning, I tend now to just use the Degritter and am pondering selling off the Loricraft.

Occasionally a record needs two runs but the convenience factor over the Loricraft is massive. (And you often need two or more runs on the Loricraft too). It also seems like a deeper clean.

Hoping for good news in the next week or so on shipping date for production version. On the one hand it's taken probably six months longer than was first promised, on the other hand I've been well impressed by the seriousness of the team's commitment to getting things right, and their responsiveness to tester feedback.

COF, the non audiofools in our lives do look at us somewhat perplexed when we talk about good looking record cleaners LOL.

I'd say I almost find the opposite. Audiophiles often don't care how something looks, especially a record cleaner, but how something works. I"ve lost count of how many time I've read audiophiles saying "Who cares what it looks like? I care about the Sound/Performance!"

The Degritter on the other hand has much better WAF.

(Not that there aren't audiophiles who care about how equipment looks - certainly many of us do).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing