Help Replacing Cassette Player Inventory

kfalls

Jun 24, 2015
I work for a media archiving company digitizing older media. We have an inventory of approximately 35 Tascam 122MKIII cassette players. I learned today that many of the parts which commonly fail are no longer in production with no spares available. To continue consistent production we need to find a replacement.
The Tascam is very easy to repair, so I'm looking for a replacement which is sturdy, can stand up to daily use and is easily repaired. We also have Nakamichi MR-1s we use for tapes with bad or loose pads, because of their tape lifter feature. The Naks are very good, but not easy to work on with parts as scarce as the Tascams. Any ideas for a player which is high quality, XLR outputs (if possible) and easy to work on? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

alan505

Aug 28, 2018
I work for a media archiving company digitizing older media. We have an inventory of approximately 35 Tascam 122MKIII cassette players. I learned today that many of the parts which commonly fail are no longer in production with no spares available. To continue consistent production we need to find a replacement.

If possible stick with the Nakamichi DR/MR.

If the goal is to achieve the best transfer as possible then I would recommend something with auto azimuth alignment over XLR connectors. XLR is not going to improve the reading of a tape recorded on a misaligned tape deck. Something like the ubiquitous and plentiful Nakamichi Dragon will.

Talk to Willie Hermann @ Willie Hermann services as he might be able to assist with obtaining recently serviced, or perform servicing on a number of Dragons.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing