No more V12 AMGs....

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
sad but true..... Mercedes/AMG is now investing tons of $$ on in-line 6's now. Days of the V-8 muscle car are even numbered at Mercedes/AMG I'm afraid!

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
To me that's like saying Toyota isn't going to offer lime green for the color of their Corolla. Who cares. The V12 was severely dated and never a performer to begin with. The G wagon with the V8 was faster than the V12 version...

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
sad but true..... Mercedes/AMG is now investing tons of $$ on in-line 6's now. Days of the V-8 muscle car are even numbered at Mercedes/AMG I'm afraid!

Why waste the space? V8's can make more power than the road can support now that everything is forced induction. It's not like V8's have felt like a muscle car engine since the 60's anyways.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
It rather seems the German car industry has aligned itself around variations of 500cc per cylinder configurations, with turbo charging to boost power whilst minimising reported emissions. Changing the firing order could be a way to give different delivery / sound characteristics rather like Yamaha did with their R1 with the crossplane crank. The expected rollout of 48v light hybrids and electric turbo chargers will fill out low rev torque, allowing for more extreme engine tunes, so not all bad!

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
I'm hoping to buy a R129 SL600 soon.Either with a Väth or a Brabus 7.0L or 7.2L stroker kit.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
OMG, I thought we were losing a fantastic TT manufacturer.....what a relief.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
OMG, I thought we were losing a fantastic TT manufacturer.....what a relief.

Hahaha! I thought the same thing at first!

V12 is cool, but I think it tends to make front-engine cars very nose heavy, which does not help in the handling department. This was a criticism, I believe, of the 12 cylinder Mercedes SL, for example.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Sources say Ferrari will still maintain a V12 albeit smaller displacement with hybrid supplement for their flagship GT and limited edition cars.

Ferrari V12's (GT car like the F12 and 812) are behind the front axel Ron, so technically mid engine/front. It is a heavy motor though. For street...not an issue.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Having your reserve light go on when you've still got a quarter tank to go can be unnerving. Bye bye 65s, your guzzling ways won't be missed by this guy.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
The Benz 12 cylinder program never was very strong with the exception of the SL65 Black Edition.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
The Benz 12 cylinder program never was very strong with the exception of the SL65 Black Edition.

^
That's what I'm saying. Only a long time ago was it even remotely impressive. By today's standards it's a dog when you look at the power curves to weight ratio. And it's kind of a dog compared the the past...

Now if you want an old hot ass Mercedes engines... Take a look at the W125's BEAST. 1937 640hp & 632lbs! They hit over 180mph in races, and 249mph in land speed records. I'm a fan :D I have a vinyl LP of a bunch of Silver arrows, recorded well, and they are terrifying rip-roaring-ass sounding - YouTube doesn't do it justice.

1937_MercedesBenz_W1255.jpg

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I had the chance to pick up a v12 biturbo s600 for very little money (under $10k) ..my madcap idea at the time was strip it of all the weighty accessories , seats etc and bolt on some slicks and use it as a dragster..

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Which V8's have you driven in the past 5yrs to be able to draw such a global conclusion?

It's not about fact of whether it's a v8 or not. It's because the old cars twist and and flex when you apply power, you feel a lot more. It's worse performance but it feels awesome.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Jason Lord (the owner of The Source AV, in Torrance, CA) took me for a ride in his 2016 Shelby Mustang Super Snake (at least 750hp via supercharger). That car sure felt traditional “muscle car” to me!

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
Jason Lord (the owner of The Source AV, in Torrance, CA) took me for a ride in his 2016 Shelby Mustang Super Snake (at least 750hp via supercharger). That car sure felt traditional “muscle car” to me!

You mean it's handeling is better compared to a truck then to a car around the twisties ?

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
You mean it's handeling is better compared to a truck then to a car around the twisties ?

Since it appears your in Germany perhaps you have taken that Porsche of yours to the "Ring"? If so, I'd be interested in hearing about what kind of times you achieve on that track so we can compare them to some of these sloppy muscle cars from the past 5yrs or so?

Will your stereotypes still hold water?

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
Since it appears your in Germany perhaps you have taken that Porsche of yours to the "Ring"? If so, I'd be interested in hearing about what kind of times you achieve on that track so we can compare them to some of these sloppy muscle cars from the past 5yrs or so?

Will your stereotypes still hold water?

No I was makeing a joke... To Ron. Modern "muscle" cars are awsome cars. Good cornering speeds and lots of torque. I'll take a Camaro Z28 or a GT350 over a Cayman every day of the week. The ones from the 60ties not so much...
I just dont believe that those cars compare in any way to the old muscle cars. Except for looks.

Going to ring with an expensive car isn't such a good idea,because going of or somebody driving into you is relatively likely... Renting cars there is much better.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing