Tubes, different makers, different types...but what are your preferences?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi Christstoph

Looking at your equipment,you could be German or from German descent.

Cheers
Actually Liechtenstein, between Austria and Switzerland but very close to Southern Germany.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Actually Liechtenstein, between Austria and Switzerland but very close to Southern Germany.
the home of Hilti the best drilling machines in the world

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Reactions: DasguteOhr
Aug 23, 2021
It is great,we all sitting in different places and can share our options.We got different options and that actually make the world interesting .At the moment I am near Zurich,but I feel already claustrophobic ,after 4 month,the place is getting too small and the mentality of may people is a bit/ very conservative .One prominent Person ,or well know person got an opinion and everybody must just say yes and follow him.No place for a own opinion.Most people are then,overwhelmed by a different opinion ,it is against the mentality and if the TV or Radio is saying something,it is straight away correct,even if it is the biggest B/S

Looking for the Hifi heaven,the place of Nivana for a old retired Audiophile,Have any of you, got a idea,please share it with me.

Let the tubes roll and share your opinion please
Cheers

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Tungsol KT120 .
I have the power amp since 2014 and im still running the same tubes.
Only 1 broke , and i changed it for a new one , never had any other issue .
I travel a lot so i dont listen that much but still.

I still have 1 spare .
I " hope " they all break so im forced to give the svetlana 6550 s a try :)

Aug 23, 2021
Hi

If you can get SED 6550 winged C tube,dam good tube almost as good as the best NOS 6550 or KT88,but this tube is also nowadays also difficult to get.I heard many good things about the new KT170,if your amp can take it ,it could be an option.

Cheers

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Hi

If you can get SED 6550 winged C tube,dam good tube almost as good as the best NOS 6550 or KT88,but this tube is also nowadays also difficult to get.I heard many good things about the new KT170,if your amp can take it ,it could be an option.

Cheers

In holland no problem my CAT JL 2 sign amp cant take 150 -170 afaik

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
It is great,we all sitting in different places and can share our options.We got different options and that actually make the world interesting .At the moment I am near Zurich,but I feel already claustrophobic ,after 4 month,the place is getting too small and the mentality of may people is a bit/ very conservative .One prominent Person ,or well know person got an opinion and everybody must just say yes and follow him.No place for a own opinion.Most people are then,overwhelmed by a different opinion ,it is against the mentality and if the TV or Radio is saying something,it is straight away correct,even if it is the biggest B/S

Looking for the Hifi heaven,the place of Nivana for a old retired Audiophile,Have any of you, got a idea,please share it with me.

Let the tubes roll and share your opinion please
Cheers
Unfortunately difficult in Corona times, otherwise I would have recommended a two-hour drive from Zurich here. you would probably have listened to one of the best speakers there. is milled from a whole block of slate. D' appolito design with ripolsub fanatastic speaker.
In Freiburg, germany near swiss border

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Hi

Cheers
Amazing tube ???????

Aug 23, 2021
Hi Das gute Ohr.

I know Freiburg well,I got lots of family in the area and got a house in Freiburg,but only use it in Summer.Unfortunately I didn’t use it for some time because of Corona.It is just a mission these days with all the Corona restrictions.

Next time I’m in the area,maybe we can meet up,or a coffee ,somewhere and share some nice ideas

All the best
Cheers

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
No problem, we'll meet there in Freiburg, I'll come down by car. i drive 600 kilometers and then listen to the speakers together;)

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Plus then i ll finally be able to put the tube cages on .
With the KT 120 they dont fit , JL 2 sign was made for 6550 s
Love that poweramp, i had heard with Audiophysic Medea ...a Dreamteam FREI-HAUS-Audio-Physic-MEDEA-400W-High-End-Referenzlautsprecher-Manger.jpg

Reactions: andromedaaudio

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
Plus then i ll finally be able to put the tube cages on .
With the KT 120 they dont fit , JL 2 sign was made for 6550 s
Do yourself a favour and try something else. Not a big fan of the Tung Sol KT120. The Wing C 6550 (if you can find them) would be a big improvement (pretty much anything would be).
Those beautiful amps deserve better!

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Do yourself a favour and try something else. Not a big fan of the Tung Sol KT120. The Wing C 6550 (if you can find them) would be a big improvement (pretty much anything would be).
Those beautiful amps deserve better!
What KT 120 s would you recommend then ??
I might buy a second hand JL5 amorphous core black path next year on the side ( less transformer hum apparently )
Then i have everything original .
Svetlana 6550 s in the JL2 sign mk 2 and KT 120 s in the JL5 also original

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
In holland no problem my CAT JL 2 sign amp cant take 150 -170 afaik

That not a Svetlana Tube they made by Sovtek, the real Winged C is made in Petersburg.this one best tube except for the G.E.C nos britain tube s-l400.jpg

Reactions: Mendel

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Ages ago, I had a CJ Premier 140 which used a quad of 6550 on each channel. A neat trick in improving sound quality was to blend a mix of 6550 tube brands e.g. a single TS nos black plate 6550 in each side with three original soviet tubes would give a nice taste of the glorious TS tone. The caveat here though is to use the same tube type rather than say salt and pepper different types like say KT88 with 6550.

As an aside, the nos 6h23 tube worked great in this amp, better than many of the usual respected 6922 suspects.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Okay lets put it another way .
What is the original type of 6550 s ken stevens put in his amps.

The manual states 6550C thats all

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing