Audio Research Reference 160M

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Actually, it's a well known fact that Wilsons work better on the 8 ohm tap on the ARCs. But it's easy to experiment anyway, I just did the other day, and indeed, the 4 ohm tap is significantly worse than 8 ohm!

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
I finally found the time to listen to them today . I hope it’s as good as the reviewer said .

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
I auditioned the REF160M yesterday . The system consisted of the VPI HR-X , Lyra Etna , Kronos w/ upgraded P.S. , Kuzma 4 point 11” , Clearaudio GF V2 , ARC REF 10 Phono & REF 10 Linestage and the 1st generation SF Aida . Cables by TOL SR , XLO , & Shunyata .
The amp is heavenly in triode mode , what presence , texture ,smoothness & immediacy. The female or male vocalist feels as if they’re in the room . W/ an efficient speaker these amps will be magic . The mids are so good that my friend & I concluded that the 160M are much better than the REF 750SE’s midrange . We tried to listen in ultra linear mode (REF 160M) & listened to side 2 of the LP Cantate Domino , it’s clear that the REF750SE is the King of the Hill as far as the amp hierarchy of ARC is concerned .
It seems even in UL mode the REF 160M driving the Aida’s cannot produce the huge soundstage (wall to wall) , the dynamic contrast & the ease of delivery that REF750SE brings at the table .
But w/ Female Vocals , small jazz bands , the REF 160M is hard to beat .

Reactions: microstrip and Lee

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
By seemingly literally all accounts the REF 160M is a big achievement for ARC. I will be very curious when they apply the 160M treatment to a new version of the REF 750SE.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
By seemingly literally all accounts the REF 160M is a big achievement for ARC. I will be very curious when they apply the 160M treatment to a new version of the REF 750SE.

According to the ARC rep, that will be about eighteen months out and the amp will be a four chassis affair with huge power supplies and enough tubes to heat up a chapel....in the dead of winter, lol.

guitardave

Feb 29, 2012
For me, I am curious when the changes will be applied to the ref75se!

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
New REF80 was to be announced end of Q1, not sure timeline now with Wuhan-flu effecting everything.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing