Sony WH1000XM2 MSRP $349.95

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Microsoft Surface Noise Cancellation Headphones MSRP $349.95

To be available for the Christmas shopping season.
[video]https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/surface-headphones/8nrm8dz2zw43?activetab=pivot:eek:verviewtab[/video]

The principle feature is user adjustable noise cancellation. MSRP $349.95.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Allow me to state the obvious. These products are suggested for use with Smartphones and laptops. If you are seeking a headphone for primary audiophile use, consult the usual suspects.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
preorder from 11/15. Ships 11/19. merry Christmas.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Eventually I had to post
something about binaural recordings.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
SONY has an application that you can download for these headphones. It is essentially a virtual preamp. It allows you to adjust for atmospheric pressure and even has an equalizer. It works.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
My latest comparison of the Bose and SONY headphones suggest they are on a collision course. The SONY is getting more comfortable. The Bose soundi s improving.. If you are constantly on the go, Bose might be the better choice. For all out sound SONY still gets the nod. The gap is narrower. For all out comfort go Bose. if you are a runner for instance. Ambient mode may be best if you are in traffic.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I have had the M3s for about a week.

The frequency response is insane. It is way off the mark. It's about +4 DB from 10Hz to 400Hz.

I cannot really listen to them without using EQ to try and correct this. Still trying to find a decent Android equaliser app. Harder than you might think.

That said, I can't seem to take them off my head. With EQ they are just really enjoyable things to use. Comfortable for very long periods I find and just walking around the house and washing the car etc freely with these things on is a joy. Great for audio books and listening to TIDAL. LDAC gives you a connection with the best bit rate in the business over the air.

The NC is supposed to be the best. It probably is but it certainly doesn't cancel out as well as I was expecting. It is pretty good, though.

There's a million and one YouTube reviews.

I do warn you, though. The first time you start using these, if you are used to a fairly flat response from your home audio system, you will be in shock. These ARE NOT audiophile headphones. IMHO no headphone with the frequency response these have can be considered as such. But they are enjoyable with the above caveat WRT to EQ.

Last edited:

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
The bass is evenly elevated +4dB, but only to about 150-200Hz.

Here is the WH1000XM3 measured freq response:
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-2/graph#678/2031/431

You can tailor the sound using the parametric EQ in the dedicated Sony app.

Since I have lost my Sony WH1000XM2 headphones (and before that I have lost my Bose QC25 ...) I will be getting a new headphones.

I think I will get back to Bose. Last month I had 5 hours to kill waiting at the airport, so I went to the shop to audition the Bose QC35II vs Sony WH1000XM3. To my surprise, the Bose sounded actually better than the Sony. They also seem to be more comfortable.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I was going to post a link to the rtings site as evidence of the bass hike. I either read it wrong it has changed since I looked.

Subjectively the bass is crazy heavy without EQ IMHO.

Anyone aware of a really good Android equaliser? I've tried about 4 so far and all were fails in one way or another.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Why don't you just download the dedicated Sony app ?

It has many useful features, including the parametric EQ.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Why don't you just download the dedicated Sony app ?

It has many useful features, including the parametric EQ.

First thing I did.

I use Equaliser APO and the Peace GUI on my laptop. Proper parametric EQ.

I don't see much evidence of parametric EQ in the Sony app. It is only 5 band, and stops at 400 Hz.

Granted it has a clear bass slider, but you can't really deduce what it is doing. I rather use something I have a vague clue of what it is actually doing.

Plus using it pops you out of LDAC mode.

The OnePlus 6 built-in EQ appears to be better, and also appears to keep you in LDAC. I still want better control. 10 bands really. And ability to save a few profiles.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I don't really take issue with anything written above. There is a gentlemen whose reviews consists almost entirely of a frequency response curve. Flat frequency response in a headphone appear ( resembling a mountain landscape)to be illusive at best.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
The bass is evenly elevated +4dB, but only to about 150-200Hz.
I think I will get back to Bose. Last month I had 5 hours to kill waiting at the airport, so I went to the shop to audition the Bose QC35II vs Sony WH1000XM3. To my surprise, the Bose sounded actually better than the Sony. They also seem to be more comfortable.

I have just found a bloke that has the Bose 35 MK1 at work and I am sitting here listening to them.

They do sound better. Here's why.

That's a plot against the MK2 which does have a bit more bass than the MK1, but the MK2 has better pair matching (on the sample they had).

I believe I can take the Sony's back and exchange to the Bose. The shop I got them from is good at exchanges.

Personally on my head I think the Sony is a bit more comfortable.

An audiophile buying Bose. What has it come to?:)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Equally erroneoue is chosing the SONY overt he Bose for comfort.Perdonal preference is u
I have just found a bloke that has the Bose 35 MK1 at work and I am sitting here listening to them.

They do sound better. Here's why.

That's a plot against the MK2 which does have a bit more bass than the MK1, but the MK2 has better pair matching (on the sample they had).

I believe I can take the Sony's back and exchange to the Bose. The shop I got them from is good at exchanges.

Personally on my head I think the Sony is a bit more comfortable.

An audiophile buying Bose. What has it come to?:)
With all due respect I think you are wrong. To follow your advice would be a mistake.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Equally erroneoue is chosing the SONY overt he Bose for comfort.Perdonal preference is u

With all due respect I think you are wrong. To follow your advice would be a mistake.

Well two of us think the Bose sound better.

Explain why you think otherwise. Not because I want a dispute but because I am curious.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It appears that more than two like Bose better.:)
SONY wins hands down in a popularity contest.
I for one think Bose is very good in its' niche market.
If you are considering a purchase, by all means audition both.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
It appears that more than two like Bose better.:)
SONY wins hands down in a popularity contest.
I for one think Bose is very good in its' niche market.
If you are considering a purchase, by all means audition both.

That's why I bought the Sony's.

Review after review claiming superiority.

But not for me. I have a problem with that sort of frequency response both as a listener and as an engineer. I only wish I had the sense to look at a frequency response plot for myself beforehand. I had assumed it would not be an issue due to all the reviews. I was just plain wrong.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Okay allow me to be candid. Decisions based solely on reviews or spec's invite disappointment. I have previously pointed out I was at the store for another reason. I took the opportunity to audition both. For me the decision was not close. The Bose has gotten better. I do not however intend to invalidate your personal preference.
I believe the reason there were so many positive reviews of the SONY is because they believe they have found something special. I agree.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I evaluated this using SONY headphones. Use of Bose may lead you to a different conclusion.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I evaluated this using SONY headphones. Use of Bose may lead you to a different conclusion.

OK so I bought the QC35 MK ii arrived today. I still have the Sony's.

I have learnt quite a bit more about the Sony's, including how to equalise them for the better. And I am applying a lot of equalisation.

Was going to sell the pair I like least but my wife seems to want a pair. So we will keep both I suspect.

The video review I saw before I bought the Sony's.

Spent a couple of hours using the Bose. They are much more balanced than the Sony's without EQ.

However, with a mass of EQ using Sony's app, the Sony's can be made to behave in a.way that is reasonable.

I will post back in a week or two when I have both units sussed

Attachments

• 1550310791246.jpg
    1550310791246.jpg
    925.9 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: the sound of Tao

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing