Sony WH1000XM2 MSRP $349.95

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
i don't write reviews.
This is merely an attempt to share my experience with this product. My current living arrangement dictates that the majority of my music listening is done via headphones. That is not necessarily a bad thing. Filling a room with good sound for one person is expensive. Just plug and play. Screw the roommates and neighbors. .
Best Buy was running a special so I was able too save $49.95. They were out of stock and offered free 2nd day shipping so I would not have to return to the store.

They arrived on time.

Included is a USB cord and a headphone cord for when you don't want to use Bluetooth.{TM) There is no assembly required. I chose the beige or taupe coloring. They're also available in black. At the touch of a button you may choose noise cancelling or ambient sound mode. A battery level check is provided with voice confirmation.

The headphones are soft and lightweight, They are adjustable and provide a tight fit without making you feel your head us in vise. An unusual feature(for me at least) is a silence feature. If you are on the plane for example, you don't have to take off the headphones or turn the volume when placing your drink order Just place your hand over your right earpiece and the volume is silenced in that ear. It would be helpful if each earpiece were clearly labeled right and left. It also would be good if the program would pause.. Very useful if you are listening to text.
While breakin remains a hot topic of debate,making a snap decision on these 'phones would be a serious mistake. I currently have under a hundred hours on these phones and they are still improving Battery charge is easy, but is a matter that needs attention.

Why don't I pause here before I get into sound description. sowh1000xm2n.jpg

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It's a fun article Greg, if you read it...good humor to say how much the guy loves his new pair of Sony headphones. Lol
I liked it.)(The article, I mean.)

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The sound of these headphones is immensely musical with good frequency extension. Dynamics and resolution are superb. It does every thing you would expect from a Bluetooth noise cancelling headphone. It sounds better with a cable, as opposed to Bluetooth. Bass and treble are realistic. Midrange is natural and clear . Most of all it makes me want to listen. It is very good fro private listening and portability. You tube videos are rendered effortlessly. In my opinion it easily a candidate for a primary listening source. It is however a headphone with its' inherent limitations.

Highly recommended.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I admit I do not have review skills. If I can paraphrase the USSC (United States Supreme Court) I know good sound, when I hear it. The headphones have what I call "music overtones." All the better components have in my opinion. In "Keep Telling Me Lies," Infra. there is a certain fuzzy quality to the guitar that demonstrates what I'm talking about.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
They are good at what thay are (Bluetooth headphones with noise cancelling).

The NCS works suprisingly well (on par with my BOSE QC35) and are very comfortable to wear. I was recently using them for 12+ hours straight on a flight from Buenos Aires.

If you don't need theose features (for home listening for example), IMO you can get a better sounding headphones in the same budget.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Earlier I lamented the absence of a clear label of which earpiece was left or right. Mea Culpa. It is clearly marked on the inside, of the headband in red, on the right. It is marked on the left in white in the identical spot. I would prefer that it was put on the outside of the earpiece.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
They are good at what thay are (Bluetooth headphones with noise cancelling).

The NCS works suprisingly well (on par with my BOSE QC35) and are very comfortable to wear. I was recently using them for 12+ hours straight on a flight from Buenos Aires.

If you don't need theose features (for home listening for example), IMO you can get a better sounding headphones in the same budget.

Well I'm not sure whether I've matured or just grown weary. The fact is I am no longer bothered by the fact that some one else thinks something else sounds better. Suit yourself. In fact,I demoed the Bose headphones which were clearer, lighter, and more comfortable. At least one person preferred the sound of the Bose(Bose Quiet comfort 35 MSRP $349.99}. Indeed what I would refer to as" Audiophile brands" such as Sennheiser,,Beryerdynamic,Grado, et al may be more appealing to the hi-fi enthusiast.. I think I was really impressed by the Sony headphones ability to do rock and roll.

Again it was my intent to bring a mainstream product with hi-fi potential to your attention. I'll leave rankings to to others.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
bose-qc-35-ii-headphones-with-google-assistant-built-in-are-now-available.jpg
Bose QC 35 MII MSRP$349.95
Good news for those who are interested in making their own comparison. Both Best Buy and Target have these headphones available for direct comparison. It appears,, also you may use your own electronic device as a music source. I still prefer the Sony. Surprise. Surprise.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Yes there are deals to be had! And don't forget all she has to do is put her hand on the earpiece and she can hear what you are saying when in noise cancellation mode. :cool:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
So, you’re saying she’ll never touch the earpiece?

Lee
I'm sure you know the difference between hearing and listening.:)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Apparently the earphones have an internal mechanism named LDAC(TM). Supposedly this supports 96/24 res downloads (or is it direct streaming?). I am trying to read up on this . You guys probably already
Know what it is. https://www.sony.net/Products/LDAC/

"LDAC is an audio coding technology developed by Sony that enables the transmission of High-Resolution (Hi-Res) Audio content, even over a Bluetooth® connection."

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
now that the M3 is out what am I to do? Should I sell my M2 and get the new version?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Alas, aftermarket cables (a five dollar pair from amazon) do improve the sound. Probably because of better connection. And yes they sound better over my laptop than my smartphone.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I had an opportunity to listen to the M3 today. It has definitely shifted in the direction of Bose. I can't make a call right now. I did not like the music it was playing. For now if you get a deal on the M2, take it. More later.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing