Best music software?

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
What is general opinion on Roon sound quality? I have used Audirvana+ for 5 years and updated each time a new version came out. I changed DACs 2 weeks ago, and my new DAC is more resolving of my server (Mac Mini with Uptone Audio MMK, LPS, SSD, 8 meg RAM feeding USB to my DAC. It sounds fantastic, but it got me thinking.

So I spent all day on trying Amarra, HQ player, PureMusic, then lastly Roon. Audirvana+ is still ahead of all of these except Roon. This surprised me. I tried Roon about 18 months ago and it was nothing special. That has changed IMO.

I don't upsample, and feed my NOS DAC resident rate. Swopping between A+ and Roon on select tracks, they sound very similar, closer than the rest of the bunch. But A+ has a digital sound to it, a very slight coarseness that clings to the treble region, most noticeable on female vocals for example. This may not apply to all setups, but that is what I am hearing on my system.

And this absolute absence of hash or treble grain brings a more realistic and relaxing musical experience. It is super subtle, and I notice it most on my LCD4s, but it is hard to ignore it. This is great, a very cheap upgrade. Also the Roon interface is first rate, better than all the others I have seen.

Probably most folk on here have already tried Roon or use it already, but if not I would say have a go at it. It has grown up some!

Last edited:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Have you tried a proper server, instead of a Mac Mini?
Even an old Auralic Aries will sound better than a Mac Mini, LPS notwithstanding...

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
Have you tried a proper server, instead of a Mac Mini?
Even an old Auralic Aries will sound better than a Mac Mini, LPS notwithstanding...

What would you consider the best few “proper servers” that can be fed by Roon + HQ Player (that is, will serve as a Roon endpoint)? I love the former for the GUI and the latter for integrating room correction convolution filters.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
What would you consider the best few “proper servers” that can be fed by Roon + HQ Player (that is, will serve as a Roon endpoint)? I love the former for the GUI and the latter for integrating room correction convolution filters.

I've tried a few, and the best bang for the buck is the Innuos line. Roon Core, enough CPU power to do DSP with Roon, but it won't do HQplayer.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Used Mac mini and dedicated fanless server, later better

Used pure music, Audinirva, Audiogate, Roon, HQ player, Audio optimised, no experience with others

The combination of Roon GUI,HQ Player dsd configurability and AO with the DA2 is the best combination with dedicated server

With Mac mini I really like GEEK perfect , simple and great SQ...

I still have audiogate and listening yesterday and it is very natural sounding with 2DSD.....

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Used Mac mini and dedicated fanless server, later better

Used pure music, Audinirva, Audiogate, Roon, HQ player, Audio optimised, no experience with others

The combination of Roon GUI,HQ Player dsd configurability and AO with the DA2 is the best combination with dedicated server

With Mac mini I really like GEEK perfect , simple and great SQ...

I still have audiogate and listening yesterday and it is very natural sounding with 2DSD.....

Mac Mini with internal power supply ripped out is a big upgrade, power it on 12V DC off an LPS. TBH with latest Roon and my current DAC, I here zero digital noise, just rue clean sound, like a master tape. I don't feel the need to buy a one solution server. The sector is moving forward, and I like the idea of low cost and easy adaptability. Aurender seems a closed system (for example).

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Currently I have Melco N1ZH-2 with Twonky 8.0. I had until a week ago (I did not renew the subscription) Roon in a mini PC without fan, I7, 16 Gb, SSD 256 and LPSU Kenneth Lau. I definitely prefer Melco with Twonky.
Now, I would like to listen to a dedicated server that runs Roon and has a direct network output to Lumin, like my Melco, so I do not know what I would prefer. Unfortunately Melco can not run Roon Core since his precessor is not x86.
On the other hand, I had installed Minimserver in Melco, for a while and in my system, and for classical music I ended up preferring the Twonky sound. However, as a music library manager, Minimserver is much better than Twonky, which is downright deficient.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Is there a "proper server" that will do multichannel?

I haven't looked for one. I've been asked about servers for *video*, and those will output HDMI, so multichannel as well... But I haven't delved much into those yet... So, sorry, can't help there!

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Currently I have Melco N1ZH-2 with Twonky 8.0. I had until a week ago (I did not renew the subscription) Roon in a mini PC without fan, I7, 16 Gb, SSD 256 and LPSU Kenneth Lau. I definitely prefer Melco with Twonky.
Now, I would like to listen to a dedicated server that runs Roon and has a direct network output to Lumin, like my Melco, so I do not know what I would prefer. Unfortunately Melco can not run Roon Core since his precessor is not x86.
On the other hand, I had installed Minimserver in Melco, for a while and in my system, and for classical music I ended up preferring the Twonky sound. However, as a music library manager, Minimserver is much better than Twonky, which is downright deficient.

Innuos, Zen or Zenith.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I haven't looked for one. I've been asked about servers for *video*, and those will output HDMI, so multichannel as well...
Output HDMI multichannel of what to what? HTPCs are usually set up for video-type audio codecs.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Output HDMI multichannel of what to what? HTPCs are usually set up for video-type audio codecs.

Yes, an HTPC that will also store/rip/catalog the discs, and of course, output the content (video/audio) through HDMI. There seems to be quite a few of those out there (saw a couple at CEDIA last year), but AFAIK, most output only through HDMI.

I seem to recall one of your columns, where you tested an audio server that was multichannel capable... Was it the Baetis?

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Yes, an HTPC that will also store/rip/catalog the discs, and of course, output the content (video/audio) through HDMI. There seems to be quite a few of those out there (saw a couple at CEDIA last year), but AFAIK, most output only through HDMI.

I seem to recall one of your columns, where you tested an audio server that was multichannel capable... Was it the Baetis?

Yes. I have tested two from Baetis which are quite good. However, despite that, Baetis is a PC/Win-based box which, in theory, anyone can build. I believe Pink Faun is similar.

I raised the question here because there was some back-and-forth about "proper servers" (which I take to be dedicated, specialized and proprietary devices with dedicated, specialized and proprietary software) and servers based on PC/Mac/Linux boxes. AFAIK, there are no "proper servers" which support multichannel. The reason is not a secret.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes. I have tested two from Baetis which are quite good. However, despite that, Baetis is a PC/Win-based box which, in theory, anyone can build. I believe Pink Faun is similar.

I raised the question here because there was some back-and-forth about "proper servers" (which I take to be dedicated, specialized and proprietary devices with dedicated, specialized and proprietary software) and servers based on PC/Mac/Linux boxes. AFAIK, there are no "proper servers" which support multichannel. The reason is not a secret.

Check with astrotoy he got someone to do a custom one for him iirc

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Check with astrotoy he got someone to do a custom one for him iirc

Thanks. There are many options for that and, if the Baetis comes up short in the future, that will be my choice. I do not believe in closed systems.
\

Reactions: RussR

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
To date the best software from a function and sound quality standpoint is Roon by a country mile, IMO. But I will add that this assumes the use of a Linux based Roon Core and not Windows.

I have both JRiver and Roon and find Jriver to be only "pretty good" compared to Roon but I've been unable to put my finger on exactly why this is the case. I suspect much of it is due to the Roon setup running on Linux and the JRiver setup being Windows. It's a dual-boot Intel NUC so hardware is the same.

The Roon setup sounds just so damn clean. Very detailed with crisp, unbloated bass and a kind of unrestrained sound that never seems to get confused no matter what the volume.

JRiver on the other hand sounds stressed even at mid volume and has a kind of hollow sound to it. Bass is def bloated in comparison to Roon. It's still pretty enjoyable to listen to but compared back to back with Roon on Linux its no contest,again IMO.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I suspect much of it is due to the Roon setup running on Linux and the JRiver setup being Windows. It's a dual-boot Intel NUC so hardware is the same.
Could be or, depending on the particular NUC, it could be the hardware. I run both from a full-size speedy PC and that difference is not audibly apparent.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Im a roonlifer..just love it as a UI to my local collection and tidal..SQ aside , it changed the way I find and play music.
I run my core off a really well specced dell precision workstation , win based remote machine and control it all with a tablet in my room..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing