Max's speaker and a few words...

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
Howdy everyone !

So after 3 to 4 years of messing around with DIY-Kits and never beeing really satisfied it thought it should be time to build my own speaker...

So I got going
And the going got out of hand...
So I wound up with this crazy idea that just wont go out of my brain... (I have an even crazyier horn idea...)

Dimensions are 130cm x 90cm x 90cm

Driver-list: AudioTech Flexunits 15 F 102 25 10 (Bass-Reflex) 20Hz to aprox 120HZ Box: 353L
Audio Tech Flexunits 8 D 52 20 06 SD (Closed) 120Hz to 1.5 kHZ
Mundorf AMT 23CM1.1-C Air Motion Transformer or Scan Speak D 2908/714000 Beryllium
Havent decided between the tweeters yet input would be nice :cool:

The plan is to run the speaker with a DSP and then three stereo amps.

CAD Drawings

Capture II.jpg
Capture.jpg

In the mean time Im going to get some vintage-y (1970-1990) horn speakers for example the Electrovoice Sentry III....

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
It'll work and I like the AT drivers, but 1500 Hz xo is right in the middle of a very sensitive frequency range. I'd aim for an octave lower and bring the tweeter in much higher. But that's just me...

Also you should simulate dispersion patterns and try to match at xo, with the goal of a nice, smooth polar plot.

That's also going to be a very wide cabinet, the cabinet shape is important and that might be wider than ideal, but again, some like this.

You could also make the woofer section and xo separate and this would allow you to have multiple mids/highs of different types.

And, needs more port area. 2 ports that size would be better.

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
It'll work and I like the AT drivers, but 1500 Hz xo is right in the middle of a very sensitive frequency range. I'd aim for an octave lower and bring the tweeter in much higher. But that's just me...

The problem is that the tweeter isn't good below 1500Hz and the midrange looses linearity with aprox 1.6 kHz.
I might go with another tweeter...

Also you should simulate dispersion patterns and try to match at xo, with the goal of a nice, smooth polar plot.
Since Im going full active with DSP I might have an easy out on that one...

That's also going to be a very wide cabinet, the cabinet shape is important and that might be wider than ideal, but again, some like this.
I was inspired do go this wide because of the design of vintage JBL monitors or other high quality japanes monitors like Westlake or Rey audio.

You could also make the woofer section and xo separate and this would allow you to have multiple mids/highs of different types.
Modular ! Thanks for the awsome idea !! I would just need to design a mounting system for the top modules...

And, needs more port area. 2 ports that size would be better.
My port resonance is at 1011hz with a cross area of 153,9cm³... I can go with more. But can you explain to me why I should do this ?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
The problem is that the tweeter isn't good below 1500Hz and the midrange looses linearity with aprox 1.6 kHz.
I might go with another tweeter...

Since Im going full active with DSP I might have an easy out on that one...

I was inspired do go this wide because of the design of vintage JBL monitors or other high quality japanes monitors like Westlake or Rey audio.

Modular ! Thanks for the awsome idea !! I would just need to design a mounting system for the top modules...

My port resonance is at 1011hz with a cross area of 153,9cm³... I can go with more. But can you explain to me why I should do this ?

My advice with driver selection is to avoid xo in the most sensitive ranges of our hearing. This will allow you to bypass many potential issues and will make the speaker much more likely to sound good. If you transition in a sensitive region and the timbral match of the drivers is poor you won't be able to ever get excellent results. This is one of the most common issues with speakers in general. It can be technically perfect yet the drivers don't sound the same.

DSP is not going to change the directivity of the driver. An even polar response is the most important objective measurement of a speaker's performance and should be top priority.

A wide baffle will have lower baffle step frequency and will effect diffraction... this should be taken into account.

Larger port area, among other things, reduces port air velocity and increases contribution by the port. Ideally port area = Sd of driver. Port resonance should normally be just under Fs of the woofer, but port tuning also determines at which point the woofer will start rolling off. Also, if the woofer tries to reproduce signal with lower frequency vs the tuning frequency the box will no longer support the woofer cone and you will get excessive excursion. One huge advantage of DSP on a woofer is the ability to tune the cabinet lower, compensate for the earlier roll-off and implement a rumble (high pass) filter to eliminate signal below tuning frequency.

All these things can be fairly easily simulated on a computer these days, which I would highly recommend. Good luck! :)

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
My advice with driver selection is to avoid xo in the most sensitive ranges of our hearing. This will allow you to bypass many potential issues and will make the speaker much more likely to sound good. If you transition in a sensitive region and the timbral match of the drivers is poor you won't be able to ever get excellent results. This is one of the most common issues with speakers in general. It can be technically perfect yet the drivers don't sound the same.

DSP is not going to change the directivity of the driver. An even polar response is the most important objective measurement of a speaker's performance and should be top priority.

A wide baffle will have lower baffle step frequency and will effect diffraction... this should be taken into account.

Larger port area, among other things, reduces port air velocity and increases contribution by the port. Ideally port area = Sd of driver. Port resonance should normally be just under Fs of the woofer, but port tuning also determines at which point the woofer will start rolling off. Also, if the woofer tries to reproduce signal with lower frequency vs the tuning frequency the box will no longer support the woofer cone and you will get excessive excursion. One huge advantage of DSP on a woofer is the ability to tune the cabinet lower, compensate for the earlier roll-off and implement a rumble (high pass) filter to eliminate signal below tuning frequency.

All these things can be fairly easily simulated on a computer these days, which I would highly recommend. Good luck! :)

Any programm recommendations ?

Thanks for your advice !

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Any programm recommendations ?

Thanks for your advice !

Start out with something easy like BassBox Pro and go from there. Read the entire manual and info, plus Toole's, Dickason's and D'Apollito's books.

Then listen as much as possible and see what your preferences are... we're not all sensitive to the same things and have the same preferences. Personally, I don't like many tweeters and find they mostly sound different vs the midrange drivers they are paired with so I prefer a wideband mid with woofer and tweeter brought in to cover extremes. I'd consider a ~200 Hz lower xo, and not over ~400 Hz, and upper depends on the mid driver but something in the supertweeter range would be best. This kind of design side-steps a ton of different design considerations that often effects even expensive speakers and makes it much easier for a DIY project to be more successful.

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
Start out with something easy like BassBox Pro and go from there. Read the entire manual and info, plus Toole's, Dickason's and D'Apollito's books.

I have started reading Dickasons book.
All the box volumes were calculated by a programm called WinISD.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
If the tweeter has a waveguide it can crossover at maybe as low as 700hz. The issue with crossing lower than generally around 1700hz is that the tweeters run out of excursion prematurely. But the waveguide will give them a boost in the lower range so it won't be any different.

Here's an idea... Use the 10 A 77 25 10 as the midrange and make a waveguide to cross the tweeter real low. The 10in has a natural roll off at 1khz. The MMS is also much closer to the you 15 want to use. It also is more stable closer to the tweeter (phase looks like it could be more consistent). I'd look at the BEYMA TPL-150H tweeter to do that, crossing over lower. (This tweeter is found in speakers at ANY price, its a nice tweeter)

The combination of a waveguide and larger midrange will give it better directivity, with a improved polar plot. And then it would be somewhat unique as well.

Were it me, I'd probably mount the 15 on the rear and the port fire down, to make it sort of like a super monitor. Id cross it over at 200hz. The wavelengths are so long that mounting it on the rear is more an aesthetics thing, as the frequencies will spread literally about the same as if it were mounted on the front. Otherwise I'd probably just make it a floor stander. In that case I'd move the 15 to 1/4 of the way to the bottom so that it isn't pounding against the midrange as hard (moving it to the back would do this too). And when I'm talking about interaction, I do mean on the outside, not inside where you plan to enclose the midrange.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Another possibility if you don't care about xo frequency so much is a SEAS coax, you can probably get a xo and box design from SEAS that would eliminate a lot of design work. These are similar to the coax drivers used by TAD, in fact they used to have a Mg cone model that is nearly the same as the TAD Evolution series coax driver if you can find it... This is another way to go that would almost guarantee success.

http://www.seas.no/index.php?option...&catid=52:prestige-coaxial-drivers&Itemid=464

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
If the tweeter has a waveguide it can crossover at maybe as low as 700hz. The issue with crossing lower than generally around 1700hz is that the tweeters run out of excursion prematurely. But the waveguide will give them a boost in the lower range so it won't be any different.

Here's an idea... Use the 10 A 77 25 10 as the midrange and make a waveguide to cross the tweeter real low. The 10in has a natural roll off at 1khz. The MMS is also much closer to the you 15 want to use. It also is more stable closer to the tweeter (phase looks like it could be more consistent). I'd look at the BEYMA TPL-150H tweeter to do that, crossing over lower. (This tweeter is found in speakers at ANY price, its a nice tweeter)

The combination of a waveguide and larger midrange will give it better directivity, with a improved polar plot. And then it would be somewhat unique as well.

Were it me, I'd probably mount the 15 on the rear and the port fire down, to make it sort of like a super monitor. Id cross it over at 200hz. The wavelengths are so long that mounting it on the rear is more an aesthetics thing, as the frequencies will spread literally about the same as if it were mounted on the front. Otherwise I'd probably just make it a floor stander. In that case I'd move the 15 to 1/4 of the way to the bottom so that it isn't pounding against the midrange as hard (moving it to the back would do this too). And when I'm talking about interaction, I do mean on the outside, not inside where you plan to enclose the midrange.

Thanks for the input Folsom !

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
Another possibility if you don't care about xo frequency so much is a SEAS coax, you can probably get a xo and box design from SEAS that would eliminate a lot of design work. These are similar to the coax drivers used by TAD, in fact they used to have a Mg cone model that is nearly the same as the TAD Evolution series coax driver if you can find it... This is another way to go that would almost guarantee success.

http://www.seas.no/index.php?option...&catid=52:prestige-coaxial-drivers&Itemid=464

That would be another option especially with the modular concept you proposed above...

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
That would be another option especially with the modular concept you proposed above...

It's a good place to start that can also serve as a benchmark for later versions.

For your DSP system, I would use that to low pass to the woofer with the SEAS recommended passive on the mid band pass and tweeter high pass. You can experiment, but with a ~200 Hz xo frequency you'll find time alignment won't matter, and it's impossible if you dsp the woofer and not the rest.

As for the mid and tweeter... alignment, crossover and an optimized polar pattern are all done for you, including tweeter and midrange diaphragms made of the same material, looking at this and other SEAS designs I think they are careful about this.

For the woofer, AT is a good choice, I'd get the largest unit with the largest motor you can afford. ;) They are impressive. In my testing Acoustic Elegance TD15H+ is a standout as well. You have to ask for the "+" version in a 15, but their 18" might work out well for you too. There is no replacement for displacement, as they say for cars, but it's surface area for woofers.

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
It's a good place to start that can also serve as a benchmark for later versions.

For your DSP system, I would use that to low pass to the woofer with the SEAS recommended passive on the mid band pass and tweeter high pass. You can experiment, but with a ~200 Hz xo frequency you'll find time alignment won't matter, and it's impossible if you dsp the woofer and not the rest.

As for the mid and tweeter... alignment, crossover and an optimized polar pattern are all done for you, including tweeter and midrange diaphragms made of the same material, looking at this and other SEAS designs I think they are careful about this.

For the woofer, AT is a good choice, I'd get the largest unit with the largest motor you can afford. ;) They are impressive. In my testing Acoustic Elegance TD15H+ is a standout as well. You have to ask for the "+" version in a 15, but their 18" might work out well for you too. There is no replacement for displacement, as they say for cars, but it's surface area for woofers.

Have you ever tryed the Morel coaxials ?
I have heared the Dynamikks 10.15 Monitors with the Beyma coaxial and I really liked how they resolve what they are feed with.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Maybe I missed it but I'm curious what the cabinet material will be for your design?

Looks like a cool project.

I've had a 20yr fantasy to some day build a cabinet made of concrete but the weight of it has been a concern :D

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
version 1: 10cm of hard-wood
version 2: 5 to 10cm aluminium (cast and then milled)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
100 mm aluminium what you want?
A monster in your house , i ts not gonna be cheap too.
Mine are 40 mm which is more then enough i think i could go to 30 mm also without problem .
Remember magicos extruded S 5 aluminium is only 14 mm iirc.

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I think the most monstrous designed rigid dead housings of today are kharma exquisite (HPL).
And that latest aluminium shell / cast design from rockport,

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing