Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: WHY are high-efficiency speakers are better at conveying emotion of music vs. audiophile vocabulary?

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    And none of those systems could properly handle micro-dynamics?
    Sorry not compared to the right panels or horns. Not close. And that's not much Magico. It's cones. You have experience with panels so you can have your opinion. You should check out some good horns
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by the sound of Tao View Post
    Thanks Caesar,
    That’s great, your amps sound fantastic and great you have so much choice with gear. Which MBL speaker, I have heard a few of them and they have quite a range of characteristics. Sounds like you love the music through them still so I figure emotional engagement is part of that so the question remains what sensitivity do they have and do you think it is the speaker or is another part of your system that is responsible.

Wow, are you saying you are running both Jadis and Cat preamps with your SL amps? Time for some pics as it must look something spesh as a system! Would love to see your room. I would think a valve preamp with the SL monos would possibly bring the emotional engagement to your system? Would be great to see a pic of your favourite gear at home and perhaps more on the music you play mostly as it would let us know much better where you are coming from in so many of the threads you initiate.
    From what I understand they are voiced with each other and Kevin of CAT used to recommend this amp to those who had to have an SS amp and couldn't do his valve amp
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    funny, I find the Voltis very colored.
    Never heard them but the Klipsch La Scallas I had in college were pretty colored but they could sure rock the house for parties!!!
    Industry Affiliation:

Sound Castles klg
    Swiss Importer/distributor for Aries Cerat Ltd.
    www.soundcastles.ch

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    Sorry not compared to the right panels or horns. Not close. And that's not much Magico. It's cones. You have experience with panels so you can have your opinion. You should check out some good horns
    On this we can definitely agree
    Industry Affiliation:

Sound Castles klg
    www.soundcastles.ch

Member Sponsor [VIP/Donor]
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    Yes, last year at LAAS and the Vittoras multiple times before that. I find they sound like old school, euphonic horns with oversized images.

stereophile reviewer loved them, but the measurements definitely raised some questions:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...r-measurements
    Interesting. I was struck not only by the tone of the Volti Rivals but also by the realistic, focused size of the images (and given that I have monitors I am an image freak, not easy to satisfy). You must not have heard them optimally set-up.

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    I have had many panels, and still own a few , and they do not handle micro dynamics better than most cones I have now. They are simply different. For example, voice micro dynamics are significantly better with the XLF's than all else I have listened to. I have listened several times to Avantgarde, even the Trios, and although having impressive dynamics and stage, they were not fabulous in micro dynamics - although it was demo/show conditions, not in my system.

I could return any time to SoundLab or Quad. I am detached from stereotypes or fan clubs, but I know what I will miss if giving up the XLF. Particularly with top digital modern recordings!
    DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack, Metronome Kalista / Kondo KSL DAC, Soundlab A1 Px's , EMT927, SME3012R, ARC Phono 3, ARC REF40, VTL Siegfried II, TA Opus MM2 speaker and signal, TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables, CenterStage footers and Nordost Qkore8's!

Blog Entries
    Stream something into a spectral 10+80 into the soundlabs. The old spectral. Fantastic. Picked this up from Gian's friend, who has been the distributor of spectral and boulder for decades there. Same guy who had the tenor

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    I have had many panels, and still own a few , and they do not handle micro dynamics better than most cones I have now. They are simply different. For example, voice micro dynamics are significantly better with the XLF's than all else I have listened to. I have listened several times to Avantgarde, even the Trios, and although having impressive dynamics and stage, they were not fabulous in micro dynamics - although it was demo/show conditions, not in my system.

I could return any time to SoundLab or Quad. I am detached from stereotypes or fan clubs, but I know what I will miss if giving up the XLF. Particularly with top digital modern recordings!

Well, mine sure did and I have heard all the big Wilsons with all kinds of amps. Maybe you are listening quite loud? I noticed that the real advantage of my stats over conventional speakers was with listening levels that average < 80db...the stuff that usually drops out on wide dynamic range recordings would go much quieter before dropping out. Complex multi-way speakers, even those of nominally high sensitivity, cannot do this as well, IME. Even a relatively simple (2-3 way ) horn will not better a good stat for this kind of low level preservation. Only some high sensitivity single drivers do as well but those have their own issues...like lack of bass...and treble roughness.

At a higher volume where the drivers are good and energized then the big hig eff. multi-ways might compete with that kind of low level resolution but not at moderate-low volume...again IME.
    Industry Affiliation:

Sound Castles klg
    www.soundcastles.ch

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by morricab View Post
    Well, mine sure did and I have heard all the big Wilsons with all kinds of amps. Maybe you are listening quite loud? I noticed that the real advantage of my stats over conventional speakers was with listening levels that average < 80db...the stuff that usually drops out on wide dynamic range recordings would go much quieter before dropping out. Complex multi-way speakers, even those of nominally high sensitivity, cannot do this as well, IME. Even a relatively simple (2-3 way ) horn will not better a good stat for this kind of low level preservation. Only some high sensitivity single drivers do as well but those have their own issues...like lack of bass...and treble roughness.

At a higher volume where the drivers are good and energized then the big hig eff. multi-ways might compete with that kind of low level resolution but not at moderate-low volume...again IME.
    It is known that different types of speakers can sound different at low levels due to their different radiation patterns, that change significantly the ratio of direct to reflected sound. And sorry, for me listening levels that average at 80 dB are reasonably loud. What peak levels in unweighted dB do you measure at your listening position when you "average at 80dB"?

As well as our opinions, our experiences are strongly biased - why wasting our time listening to sound types that do not please our preference?
    DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack, Metronome Kalista / Kondo KSL DAC, Soundlab A1 Px's , EMT927, SME3012R, ARC Phono 3, ARC REF40, VTL Siegfried II, TA Opus MM2 speaker and signal, TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables, CenterStage footers and Nordost Qkore8's!

Enjoyed reading thur this thread. I think we all tend to defend which path we have chosen. I have chosen the single driver path driven with 7 tube watts. To my ears I have a very engaging system that gives me a live sound and it is alive at low to moderate listening levels.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast