FINALLY Found A Listening Chair I Want

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
I have my eye on the Luft chair.....I assume there are no deals available?

I looked at this chair online, it looks awesome. Did you get a chance to try one?

Dave

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Does anybody use Human Scale's Freedom chair or recently-released Summa executive chair for his listening room?

24CFA1B7-ABBA-497D-BE22-25BDFC0EDDD3.jpeg

4422F2DE-EEB8-4EE4-B737-5FC0447247AF.jpeg

A couple of years ago when I was focused on a listening chair project I found a chair I like very much from Paltrona Frau (see Post #11, above). Of course the Paltrona Frau chair is covered in luxurious leather and has a much higher WAF.

But the fact is that the Human Scale Freedom chair remains the single most comfortable chair I have ever sat in for an extended period of time in my entire life. People who like the Freedom chair tend to LOVE the Freedom chair.

Does anyone use the Freedom chair or the new Summa chair for their main listening seat?

Last edited:

shapo

Jul 5, 2018
Does anybody use Human Scale's Freedom chair or recently-released Summa executive chair for his listening room?

View attachment 63446

View attachment 63449

A couple of years ago when I was focused on a listening chair project I found a chair I like very much from Paltrona Frau (see Post #11, above). Of course the Paltrona Frau chair is covered in luxurious leather and has a much higher WAF.

But the fact is that the Human Scale Freedom chair remains the single most comfortable chair I have ever sat in for an extended period of time in my entire life. People who like the Freedom chair tend to LOVE the Freedom chair.

Does anyone use the Freedom chair or the new Summa chair for their main listening seat?

The Summa chair looks great! I wonder if it is possible to not have wheels though?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

View attachment 63446

View attachment 63449

Just kill me if I have to sit in something like that to enjoy music. Music is for time to relax and let it come to you... I'll sit in those when I need to write business emails.

Reactions: tima

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016
The versatility of the 96" Costco bear is epic for my home listening. Best all my previous chairs.

(yes, I am quite serious.) You can order online and comes by freight, free shipping and a certainly cheaper too!

Attachments

• IMG_3283.jpg
    IMG_3283.jpg
    557 KB · Views: 70

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Is that beer spilt on the carpet? I hope it isn't anything else...

Reactions: bonzo75

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016
Oh My! That looks like bear vomit. I didn't notice. It was my shadow.

Serious though. My kids bear became my most comfortable place to listen to music. Quite unexpected.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sorry to embarass you, John. Not intended. If the kids choose it, must be right.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
20200213_151353.jpg

I move this in front of my speakers when really listening

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Phillyb

May 31, 2012
I like the fabric chair, kills sound waves, and make the room better.

Attachments

• Spatial Audio Room.jpg
    Spatial Audio Room.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 58

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
Italian chair Natuzzi Cristina is my choice.

F94619CC-45E0-47ED-8627-1D867D6152AF.jpeg

F94619CC-45E0-47ED-8627-1D867D6152AF.jpeg

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
Last edited:

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
From experience:
Don't get too excited. Natuzzi looks good but their cushions lack support and will give in even more with use. You will sink into that chair like a baseball glove.

Walnut Horns

May 11, 2015
Thanks for the heads up. That particular chair is not available in the US anyway. I’m vertically challenged and it’s very difficult to find a comfortable chair with a shallow seat depth.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I know there has been debate on multiple forums about a listening chair with multiple people making fun of the "listening chair" concept. Personally, I have always believed the right location, height and proper chair is as much an integral part of a high end audio system as any other component. While I have looked at many other chairs, including some of the low back Ekornes with the back measuring 34" in height with a seat height of 17", I felt that it was still cutting it too close. Below is an example of their Eldorado which I think is a really good choice. I know many believe in the Eames concept, etc, but it is my opinion that (Lobster Chairs claim to the contrary) no chair should extend above the listeners ears when doing serious listening. I get it for those days you want to "lounge" and don't care much about what your system is truly capable of, but for that I use a recliner my MojoPoly and Audeze iLCD4s. First picture is the Eldorado by Ekornes. They have other similar chairs at similar price points.

View attachment 39204

Now I have, in my opinion, found the optimal chair, which I recently ordered and can't wait to get. It is the Willy by Poltrona Frau. In my opinion, this represents the optimal chair for multiple reasons. It is comfortable, great ergonomics for the natural flow of one's arms and dimensions couldn't be better, with the back coming up only 26", location on each side coming up 31" with gradual decline of the armrests to 26" with a seat height of 17".

Attached are two pictures, one from their site and another with someone (not me and not my system) sitting in it in their listening room which thankfully I came across in my long arduous search for the perfect chair!

View attachment 39205

View attachment 39207

View attachment 39206

Hi, out of curiosity, where did you order it from? I do like the looks, Thanks

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It usually is pretty easy to find an Ekornes dealer.

Ekornes also makes lower height backed chairs with their signature Stressless reclining mechanism (which I find very comfortable).

Reactions: asiufy

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

Ekornes also makes lower height backed chairs with their signature Stressless reclining mechanism (which I find very comfortable).

Every time I go on a chair hunt everyone points me towards Ekornes. Trouble is they're only sorta comfortable for me... Still can't stop thinking about the One chair that I haven't been able to ever track down again.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

The Ekornes Stressless Reno is great for audiophiles. The headrest height is easily adjustable - we can have it in the lower position when listening to music and raise it for movies or a nap! However we should remember that once we get it all the members of the family will also wants one of them!

Reactions: asiufy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing