Counterpoint NPM question

Sel The Don

Mar 6, 2018
Hello all,

I'm now the proud owner of a pair of NPM Monoblocks. They sound amazing!

A quick question as I have no idea, I have the XLR and AUX inout on the back of each amp. The AUX input has an L & R input (which I don't use), there's a little cap that covers one of the inputs. Shall I keep the caps in pace when I use the XLR? if I take the cap off the music is louder.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
Hello Sel the Don
I do have a NP-220 stereo unit since late 2006 and I can tell you that in my experience is necessary that you use a cap that covers the unused inputs.
That is to say ... if you connect the preamp through XLR balanced you must place a shortened connector in RCA inputs.
Again... if you connect the preamp through RCA connections of NPM the inputs XLR must be shortened again with a similar connector. It seems that the power amps catches some noise if the unused input is remains free.
I'm not sure but I suppose that your NPM are very similar to NP-220. Maybe here some expert of Altavista/Counterpoint units will help you there.
tomorrow I'll make a photo of my unit in order to better explain...
rgds.
Marco

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
Here two images; shows input connections both XLR or RCA mode. The short plugs connectors were supplied to me directly by Mike Elliott.
NP-220 RCA connections - XLR shortened.JPG
NP-220 XLR connections - RCA shortened.JPG

Sel The Don

Mar 6, 2018
Thank you very much for the photos!

As there is only jumper per amp but two inputs (for the RCA). I'll buy some just to make sure.

My NPS 400 never came with any jumpers although my friend is currently using it without any issues and my Solid 2E only has RCA inputs anyway!

I've yet to take any photos but I'll get round to it very soon.

Guscom

Oct 22, 2018
Hello, just saw this interesting forum! I too own a pair of Counterpoint NPM mono amp and, believe me, they are fantastic sounding amp! At this moment I’m searching the corresponding preampli to pair the mono, the Counterpoint Sa9 and Sa11, but are very rare, especially in 230v european version (I’m Italian). In the meantime I’m buying the Sa5000 in stock form. I’m glad to share you comments and experiences with this devices. Have somebody the upgrading schemes of this amps as the Altavista site is sadly defunct? Thank you, Gustavo

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
Dear Gustavo
the schematics of upgraded unit are almost impossible to find. Mike provided only at high cost (75 USD each!!) to actual owners and since units upgraded have little differences between them due to the version (basic-premium-platinum), date construction, and optional choosed it will be probably useless to have general schematics.
SA9 ans SA11 were very rare as you know (I had both time ago here in Italy); neverthless sometimes they comes in the used market; take care to the overall circuit condition; a service or repair may be a nightmare...
ciao
Marco

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Google inside the www.diyaudio.com forum. They had several threads about Counterpoint equipment. If you actively participate in the forum some members have the schematics and will probably be willing to help you. It is a great community!

Guscom

Oct 22, 2018
Hello, thank you for yours usefull reply. I found on web archive (thanks to this forum) all the web pages of the site Altavista.com with the upgrade description and others informations. Hi Marco, glad to know that you are italian like me! Why you don’t have anymore the Counterpoint Sa9 and Sa11? Don’t were satisfying for you? What amplifier have used with this pre? Mike is still in activity? Can somebody sharing with the forumers their experiences with the Sa9, Sa 11 and Npm mono ampli? (I know, so many questions all together ...!!) Thank you

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
Hello, thank you for yours usefull reply. I found on web archive (thanks to this forum) all the web pages of the site Altavista.com with the upgrade description and others informations. Hi Marco, glad to know that you are italian like me! Why you don’t have anymore the Counterpoint Sa9 and Sa11? Don’t were satisfying for you? What amplifier have used with this pre? Mike is still in activity? Can somebody sharing with the forumers their experiences with the Sa9, Sa 11 and Npm mono ampli? (I know, so many questions all together ...!!) Thank you

Dear Guscom
I had SA9 on loan for a few weeks many many years ago. The owner was a friend of mine now deceased.
I was impressed about sound quality and at the same time I was terrified to make a revision and a check of an electronics gear with so many tubes inside. The circuit is very complex also. Please consider that we were at the end of '90's; so there were less competitors in the phono amplifier; today situation it's very different with many many excellent phonostages in the market, in any level of price.

About SA11 I had it for a few years in my system; very well balanced overall, a great linestage. Again it's an electronics of exceptional complexity.
After a short fail I decided to send it to Mike Elliott for a complete upgrade; unfortunatly a damage of the motherboard occur during shipping, despite the hard wood box for transport. So I was forced to go toward the Aria WV5XL linestage; excellent preamp I owned for five or six years.
Mike has definitely stopped his business; it's a pity. And it's not easy to find here in Europe someone that can assist in upgrade and technical check as in the U.S. where there are a few expert able to fix and repair all Counterpoint's gear.
my best - ciao
Marco

Guscom

Oct 22, 2018
Thank you Analyzer, I have my principal audio system all-tube based and matched with not-so-large medium-high sensitivity loudspeakers for jazz and small ensemble and I would like to make another secondary system with large loudspeakers for rock, orchestra and live concert. Because I own a pair of Counterpoint Npm I think these are perfect amplifier for this purpose thank to the very high power (150/300/500w 8/4/2 ohm) and current erogation, about 250 A, matched with a larger loudspeaker. So I was curious about the match with the same branded pre, but I understood that actually there are several better alternatives. However the monos NPM are very special with big wide fantastic scene and a sweet top end (not veiled) I think could match very well with a big monitor speaker (or Apogee Diva, I’m founded a pair on market and I ‘m very tempted!).

jorwed

Jun 6, 2019
Thank you Analyzer, I have my principal audio system all-tube based and matched with not-so-large medium-high sensitivity loudspeakers for jazz and small ensemble and I would like to make another secondary system with large loudspeakers for rock, orchestra and live concert. Because I own a pair of Counterpoint Npm I think these are perfect amplifier for this purpose thank to the very high power (150/300/500w 8/4/2 ohm) and current erogation, about 250 A, matched with a larger loudspeaker. So I was curious about the match with the same branded pre, but I understood that actually there are several better alternatives. However the monos NPM are very special with big wide fantastic scene and a sweet top end (not veiled) I think could match very well with a big monitor speaker (or Apogee Diva, I’m founded a pair on market and I ‘m very tempted!).
Dear Guscom.
I also have a pair of the NPM Monoblock and i live in Norway.
Would you care to share the Altavista pages with me?

I would appreciate it.

Best
Jorgen

clouseau1

Jun 28, 2017
Portugal
Dear Jorgen and Gustavo,
I am in train to buy an Euro pair of NPM 150, and will need some help from both of you concerning getting diagram schematic of this circuit, just in case something very bad happens to them during my experiments in matching them up and down in the chain.
How can I contact both of you? This is one of my truly few posts, but i enjoy very much reading your dificulties and acheivments

Guscom

Oct 22, 2018
Dear Jorgen and Gustavo,
I am in train to buy an Euro pair of NPM 150, and will need some help from both of you concerning getting diagram schematic of this circuit, just in case something very bad happens to them during my experiments in matching them up and down in the chain.
How can I contact both of you? This is one of my truly few posts, but i enjoy very much reading your dificulties and acheivments
Hi, I think I still have a copy of the service manual for these amps, let me know your pm.

clouseau1

Jun 28, 2017
Portugal
Hi, I think I still have a copy of the service manual for these amps, let me know your pm.
Esteemed Guscom, i imagine you have payed to have these copies, and i am available to also pay for a copy fron you. I don t know how to get in contact with you, so if you know how to send me an email, please kindly do it.
Thank you in advance.
Coincidently, we have the same name "Gustavo".

Last edited:

clouseau1

Jun 28, 2017
Portugal
Esteemed Guscom, i imagine you have payed to have these copies, and i am available to also pay for a copy fron you. I don t know how to get in contact with you, so if you know how to send me an email, please kindly do it.
Anyway, i post here my email. wildbill054@gmail.com
Thank you in advance.
Coincidently, we have the same name "Gustavo".
Dear Guscom
Thank you very much for your help. I have received it well, and the factory contained information is of most importance in case something bad should happen to the transistors or else.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing