Granite base

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Enlighten me if you will,
First time I saw granite blocks under some amplifier's I thought cool!
They actually were blems from a tombstone maker.
Then I got to thinking, this to me, seems more or less a direct couple to the floor and would offer no sound benefit.
What say you?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Granite is ok if it weighs enough, but few if anyone really gets to that level with it. It is very solid and tends to transmit some, so it need constrained layers or to weigh like 400lbs+.

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
Granite is an excellent material for kitchens and bathrooms. Sadly, not so much for audio, at least not IME. Nor is marble. From all the stones i have tried slate sucked the least, but still, best avoided. TBH only tried South African slate, so there is a bit of a lingering doubt: perhaps the Italian slate is the musical slate :)

All these stone plinths...i just don't get it.

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
Slate does have its own colloration so needs to be properly damped, best sandwitching with metals.

Cheers,

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Both HRS and Boulder incorporate granite into their isolation bases (HRS M3X shelf and Boulder 3060 and 3050 amps). However, both also use other materials in those stands...not just a standalone slab of granite. (In fact, am a big fan of HRS M3X isolation shelves and use them now.) Granite used by itself as a base...I too am not convinced.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Enlighten me if you will,
First time I saw granite blocks under some amplifier's I thought cool!
They actually were blems from a tombstone maker.
Then I got to thinking, this to me, seems more or less a direct couple to the floor and would offer no sound benefit.
What say you?

Very negative experience with granite under audio equipment including speakers. Hard, thin sound like you get from some footers.

david

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
From the web i Read somewhere. The Boulder 3000 series used granite with stainless steel .
As in granite not much dampning in stainless steel either .
Seems like they are not after dampning the sound at all

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
'had a discussion with HRS about Granite and Slate. Slate might have a better inner damping, but every part is unique , so very difficult to guess the particular damping effect. Granate is more easy, significant resonances, but only depending on the size, so easy to control. On HRS M3x this resonances are damped. Granite can transfer mechanical energy very fast, so this is the main reason granite is used on M3x, than this mechanical energy gets "killed"

They do not recommend slate or granite as stand alone base.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
'had a discussion with HRS about Granite and Slate. Slate might have a better inner damping, but every part is unique , so very difficult to guess the particular damping effect. Granate is more easy, significant resonances, but only depending on the size, so easy to control. On HRS M3x this resonances are damped. Granite can transfer mechanical energy very fast, so this is the main reason granite is used on M3x, than this mechanical energy gets "killed"

Great insight...thanks.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

I use granite slabs with compression springs under 2 of my turntables. It works very well and easily beats the SRA and Symposium platforms that sit on the floor in my music room. Sounds 95% of the Minus K platform @ 1/20th the cost.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I use granite slabs with compression springs under 2 of my turntables. It works very well and easily beats the SRA and Symposium platforms that sit on the floor in my music room. Sounds 95% of the Minus K platform @ 1/20th the cost.

Sounds ingenious. What kind of compression springs did you use? How did you affix the whole thing together?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Sounds ingenious. What kind of compression springs did you use? How did you affix the whole thing together?

Lloyd. nothing special. piece of granite with compression springs underneath with "golden book" cardboard pages protecting the stand. see old photo below. I use 4 springs now as its supposedly better to have the total weight closer to the maximum weight allowance of the springs and does sound better.

Same principle that Townsend now use on their Seismic isolation products.

http://www.townshendaudio.com/hi-fi...t-vibration-isolation/seismic-isolation-pods/

8726910163_055c65a621_h.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Nice!!! Very interesting about max'ing out the spring loading to improve sound performance as well. thanks!

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Granite slab floating in a tank of mercury

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing