Horning Eufrodite: Near state of the art or just so so?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I am looking for opinions on the Horning Eufrodite, in particular the latest Ellipse model but all opinions on the speakers are welcome. How do they compare to horns of similiar sensitivity? Where do they fall short of SOTA:?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Don't like them, though. Have heard them in 3 rooms, and Perart1 owns a pair.

It is not that they do anything wrong, but I wouldn't seek them out. If you are just looking for a sensitive speaker to run SETs on, I would take these if I had a great deal and could sell them on later. But I wouldn't see any reason to change from an existing speaker to the euphrodite. Heard from a guy critical of these that their top 7 foot model is good. Dunno.

You would be better off finding a speaker you can hear and find something special in.

I would go for the Heco over this and cheaper as well.

For a room like yours which I understand is not big, you should get the 84 db audio machina and run it with Berning quadratures.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Don't like them, though. Have heard them in 3 rooms, and Perart1 owns a pair.

It is not that they do anything wrong, but I wouldn't seek them out. If you are just looking for a sensitive speaker to run SETs on, I would take these if I had a great deal and could sell them on later. But I wouldn't see any reason to change from an existing speaker to the euphrodite. Heard from a guy critical of these that their top 7 foot model is good. Dunno.

You would be better off finding a speaker you can hear and find something special in.

I would go for the Heco over this and cheaper as well.

For a room like yours which I understand is not big, you should get the 84 db audio machina and run it with Berning quadratures.

No, my horns sound great in that room...however they don't have a high WAF to move them downstairs, so the Hornings were something to consider.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
The last ones I heard were a few years ago... I liked them but the highs were rolled off. Might have worked well w a supertweeter...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Just to clarify I was referring to Eufrodite and not the latest Model

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I heard them at LAAS a few years ago - can't say I was jazzed about the sound. Blah isn't a bad descriptor.

The Cessaro Wagner was more appealing to me sold by the same distributor. And I didn't think the older Chopin was very coherent, so go figure.

"Dev" - a member here, I believe had the Hornings and sold em for Duo Mezzos. You might reach out to him

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I am looking for opinions on the Horning Eufrodite, in particular the latest Ellipse model but all opinions on the speakers are welcome. How do they compare to horns of similiar sensitivity? Where do they fall short of SOTA:?

A friend of mine said that the Agalme is the one you need but it is a big old boy so will need a big room. The Agathon Ultimate is a much smaller one that is meant to be okay / decent for money.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I heard them at LAAS a few years ago - can't say I was jazzed about the sound. Blah isn't a bad descriptor.

The Cessaro Wagner was more appealing to me sold by the same distributor. And I didn't think the older Chopin was very coherent, so go figure.

"Dev" - a member here, I believe had the Hornings and sold em for Duo Mezzos. You might reach out to him

Yes, that is a curious speaker, the Wagner. Funny that you considered the Chopin not very coherent given that the Wagner really seems to be an evolution not a revolution of it. Also, as a two-way there is not nearly so much to screw up in terms of coherence. For sure my Odeon La Bohemes are seamlessly coherent and are also the exact same design concept as these small Cessaros.

The Highwater sound guy seems to like the Eufrodite quite a bit as he featured it at a lot of shows and got a lot of praise for the sound at the show...thus my curiosity. Also, they are not much taller than my Rigolettos (my other Odeons) or wider. The La Bohemes are only a few cm taller but quite a bit wider and deeper...they look rather imposing...but not really only to my wife.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The last ones I heard were a few years ago... I liked them but the highs were rolled off. Might have worked well w a supertweeter...

Yes, they insist on using this funny cone tweeter. Now, I heard the Agathon Ultimates many years ago with Antique Sound Labs Hurricanes (a quite good PP triode amp) and that sounded really good I remember...but it was too long ago to draw an even semi-realistic aural memory from the experience other than I thought it was really good. The latest models should be better, although that isn't always the case with all "improvements" in speaker lines.

The Townshend ribbon supertweeters would perhaps be a good choice as an add-on...

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I had a mate with Agathons and a 40 Watt Lumley amp plus Opera valve CDP. I liked it quite a lot. He didn't - kept going on about how they suffered from group delay.

He designs speakers these days - if you PM me I can probably put you in touch Morricab.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Yes, that is a curious speaker, the Wagner. Funny that you considered the Chopin not very coherent given that the Wagner really seems to be an evolution not a revolution of it. Also, as a two-way there is not nearly so much to screw up in terms of coherence. For sure my Odeon La Bohemes are seamlessly coherent and are also the exact same design concept as these small Cessaros.

The Highwater sound guy seems to like the Eufrodite quite a bit as he featured it at a lot of shows and got a lot of praise for the sound at the show...thus my curiosity. Also, they are not much taller than my Rigolettos (my other Odeons) or wider. The La Bohemes are only a few cm taller but quite a bit wider and deeper...they look rather imposing...but not really only to my wife.

I'm sorry Brad, actually thinking back on the Chopin more, my Zu friend didn't find it coherent enough. My issue is I could hear a hair of cupped hands...that I didn't hear on the Wagner several years later.

I have heard Jeff is bringing Cessaro to LAAS this year, so hopefully he brings the Wagner or the new tricky art deco one - if so I intend on staying in there for a while. You guys in europe have many more opportunities to hear horns than we do in the US. I've pretty much determined its the only upgrade i will consider from my Devore Fidelity Gibbon Xs.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Chopin are awful. Their mids too, forget the rest

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

I haven't heard a Cessaro demo yet where I went WOW. They look the business and have great drivers etc but don't seem to gel so far IME. I heard Agathons many years ago and it was pretty impressive...thus my curiosity about Eufrodite.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

When time is right, come and listen to my GammaII while I have meetings :D.

Bring the Mooks too.

Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Lol yes, but there is a big difference in the two.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I heard the Horning Agalme at a show several years ago. It remains one of the best systems I've ever heard, unbelievably engaging.

Reactions: Zappadaddy

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
I heard the Horning Agalme at a show several years ago. It remains one of the best systems I've ever heard, unbelievably engaging.
On monday I am traveling to Slovakia to hear these Agalme, the guy is selling them

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
On monday I am traveling to Slovakia to hear these Agalme, the guy is selling them
Looking forward to hearing your feedback! I bought a pair of Eufrodite Ellipse III that sound great!

Reactions: jonathanhorwich

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
What amps have you used that you really like with your Eufrodites
Tried so far:
Horning SATI 520B
Silvercore 2A3 integrated
Amplifon SET42SE
Ayon Crossfire III

I think so far I probably like the Silvercore amp the best. It has such a nice sound: transparency, tone, punch...awesome and only 3.5 watts.

The other three all had strength and weaknesses. Horning is lovely sounding but a step down in resolution but nice flow and coherence. Crossfire has superb resolution and dynamics. Tone is pretty neutral to cool and the imaging is very holographic but a bit ethereal. Amplifon has great tone and transparnecy and bass. The dynamics are good but not Crossfire level. My main criticism of it is a bit of a "matter of fact" way of presenting the sound...needs a bit more swing.

Reactions: pcosta

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing