DS Audio Master1 - new cartridge and phono

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
I put this into my system last week and the result have been fantastic. After a couple of days of "tightness' its starting to settle in and the sound is magnificent. It open and broad with a soundstage that just dwarfs anything ive heard before in my system.

In fact it sounds so good ive removed my disc spinner from the rack and only listen to digital (streaming) for background now.

Has anyone else experience with DS Audio products?

Attachments

• IMG_3212.JPG
    IMG_3212.JPG
    756.7 KB · Views: 548

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Superb company with some of the most WOW factor sounds, i heard in the past years.
I had the DS002 for a while and heard lately the new DS-W2 model which i decided to order for myself instead.
enjoy your Master 1! it will sure end up in my system in the future.

RaceDoc

Sep 11, 2017
Germany
Hi "pweg",

I had the DS-W1 in my rig for a couple of months and it bested my "conventional" cartridges already.
After some phone calls with the German importer of DS Audio I decided to buy the DS-002.

This one was on the same level as the DS-W1 but added a wonderful warmth and spatiality.

A am sure that the Master 1 with the same modified "generator", but a better diamond and a better
boron cantilever is awesome.

Congratulations for purchasing the currently best cartridge in the world!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Good health to you too Peter from sunny (?) Norfolk. You’re taking the name of this forum literally when describing the DS as “What’s Best” LOL.
You should PM a member here called Sencha, I believe he’s living and working in Scotland.

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
Hi Peer

thx for ur comments.

You will love the 002 - i know i did. The 002 is the thing that is responsible for me getting into vinyl - its just remarkable sounding

RaceDoc

Sep 11, 2017
Germany
Hi "byrdparis",

how would you describe the differences between the DS-002 and the new DS-W2 (or the other cartridges you own)?

I currently own the DS-002 and sold the DS-W1.

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Hi "byrdparis",

how would you describe the differences between the DS-002 and the new DS-W2 (or the other cartridges you own)?

I currently own the DS-002 and sold the DS-W1.

Hello Race
i think the main differences between the 002 to the W2 are mostly in coherence, effortless and linearity. all favour the W2 of course.
the big power supply and phono stage of the W2 is a big difference i would think vs the 002 small one. it has more head room and less grainy sound over all (we talking about 1\4% of that ya?!)

i loved my 002' but the W2 is blowing it out of the ball game altogether.
the W2 is really out there with the best!
i just came back from a dear friend of mine house, while we preform a huge A\B tests against his W2!
on an AF3 (like mine) he have the Kuzma Air line (the W2 mount on it)
and the second one is the SAT! that we flipped several cartridges during our time today ; LYRA ATENA SL, GFS, PLATANUS and so on....
every time we flipped his pre amp to the W2 we just smiled to each other. the sheer effortless and balance presentation with so much resolution and details...
it was amazing!

RaceDoc

Sep 11, 2017
Germany
Thank you very much "byrdparis",

how would describe the sonic differences and musicality in comparison with your SPU Synergy?

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Thank you very much "byrdparis",

how would describe the sonic differences and musicality in comparison with your SPU Synergy?

Hi Peer,
sorry for the delayed reply.
unfortunately my synergy is on the way still (i miss to underline it in my signature = on order)
but as soon it will arrive and break in, i will be glad to answer any question you have.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I have Synergy and is very good,natural and musical,but sure DS Audio is in another lever much better

Rabbit

May 2, 2018
Hi pweg - great looking system!

I was hoping you might assist me in my deliberations?

I am currently considering a DS Audio Master1 cartridge for my system and was wondering how's it sounding now that a couple more months have passed since you installed it? Has it "opened-up" in the way a typical MC cartridge would after continued hours of use; or did it hit its straps from the get go?
I note you commented that the 002 was responsible for getting you into vinyl; did you previously have experience with MC cartridges and how would you say the Master1 compares?

Thanks in advance

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
HI Rabbit

no exp with MC cartridges.... The Master1 was pretty good from the get go. DS Audio told me it needs 3-6 months to open up. All i can say is that is sounds great. Compared to the 002 the Master 1 just has more of everything and places you closer to the performance - but like all good hifi things - it then becomes very sensitive to recording quality.

cheers

Rabbit

May 2, 2018
Thanks pweg

I get the point about recording quality, do you use a record cleaner of any description?

Cheers

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
id like to get a KL Audio but they are just too expensive in Australia - more than 6k. Im about to pick up an oki noki as a first step - so ill let u know how that goes.

Rabbit

May 2, 2018
Hi pweg

I took the plunge and purchased the DS Audio Master1 to go with my new Kronos Pro and Tri-Planar U-12.

It's only been up and running about a week and I've barely put 15 hours of listening on the clock, but wow - it's been quite the revelation!

Thanks for the advice.

Attachments

• 20180630_205902.jpg
    20180630_205902.jpg
    736.3 KB · Views: 109

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing