Favorite jazz albums 2018

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

Reactions: APP

Simon Moon

Apr 24, 2015
Another candidate for best of 2018, is the new release by trumpet player, Jonathan Finlayson, "3 Times Round".

This is a beast!

The playing by all members is really jaw dropping. The compositions are creative and complex.

Sample here - 3 Times Round

Reactions: Al M.

loki1957

Sep 19, 2012
Santa Fe NM
Jon Batiste
Hollywood Africans

Attachments

• IMG_20181022_112253.jpg
    IMG_20181022_112253.jpg
    524.9 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: jazdoc

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
An awesome album I did a couple months ago by 3-time Latin Grammy nominee, Jovino Santos Neto. If you're into Brazilian Jazz, this is the man. He studied under Hermeto Pascoal.

Review of Por Causa de Voce
A Birthday tribute to Antonio Carlos Jobim

King5 TV interview

Last edited:
Reactions: jazdoc and Kefas

Chicago

Feb 9, 2019
Windy City
Favorite jazz albums 2018? I would say that I have at least a dozen or so. First reveal, which turned out to be a 2nd after their 1st album, it's a group from Windy City - Chicago Edge Ensemble - and their second album 'Insidious Anthem'. An excellent recordings with mix of improvised jazz fusion, avant garde, classical and rock. Everything what I listen to on this album reminds me stuff which came from AACM (Assocation for the Advancement of Creative Musicians), but with new fresh look and great sound. A little-known CD but it does so impressive.

Next album comes from similar jazz as I mentioned above, and in the context free/impro-avant garde jazz of course, but with well known stars of improvised music. This is an album of Jemeel Moondoc Quartet 'The Astral Revelations' issued by famous and fantastic French label 'RogueArt'. It's also fantastic improvised and creative jazz which comes from the top shelf of jazz musicians.

Number three is Joshua Redman and his dream team in recordings 'Still Dreaming' - on stage also Ron Miles - cornet, Scott Colley - bass, Brian Blade - drums. I think there is no need to present these musicians. It's a fresh look on music of Joshua's father Dewey Redman as well as all members famous group Old And New Dreams. Maybe music on 'Still Dreaming' sounds secondary, but I would ask what it does not sound secondary in jazz of 21 century? I really enjoy tunes from this album - there is lots of improvisation ideas set by the new and fresh sound. Also sound quality first class! Bravo!

My favorite 2018 jazz albums from ECM Records? Oh yes, I also have a few favorite tittles. I see on podium three recordings - new album of Andrew Cyrille as 2nd for ECM as leader - 'Lebroba'. Title 'Lebroba' is taken from two first letters of birth places three great musicians appearing on this beautiful album - Wadada Leo Smith was born in Leland, Mississippi, Andrew Cyrille was born in Brooklyn, NYC, Bill Frisell was born in Baltimore, Maryland - so we have LeBroBa :cool:
Music on this album is amazing - a lot of space, precious of silence, meditations, and intellectual musing. This is it! I love this album!

I absolutely have to add to my favorites ECM 'new-old' recordings of Keith Jarrett Trio - 'After The All'. There is a special album for Keith and of course for me. Live recording was taken on November 14, 1998 at New Jersey Performing Arts Center, Newark, NJ after two years absence Master due to sickness. Keith Jarrett had been unable to play in public. This recordings documents his return to performance. And what's happening? You can hear happiness, fun, and pleasure from playing wonderful jazz music three great Masters. I love it!

Chicago

Feb 9, 2019
Windy City
Ben Wendel - 'The Seasons'. I'm very impressed that recording all the more so since I sow live concert last night at Constellations Club in Chicago. It was one of the best show I've ever seen, and please trust me I've seen a lot through the all 'jazz years' in my life. A curiosity are titles - twelve tracks named as months - from January to December - and so throughout a year and even more... that means two long sets witch means over three hours perfect music. Most of music on this recording is without swing with dominating Dur scales so we do not hear 'bebop language' witch I call that music 'European jazz'. Only Aaron Parks 'smuggles' from time to time some jazz phrases as rudimentary thought. So, what we get? We get so much energy, musical knowing at highest level, and what's most important, very very accessible 'musicality'. In some moments this recording reminds me playing Kurt Rosenwinkel and his excellent live album 'The Remedy'. This is it! Bravo!

On board: Ben Wendel - saxophone, bassoon / Aaron Parks - piano / Gilad Hekselman - guitar / Matt Brewer - bass / Eric Harland - drums

Reactions: APP

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Nice recommendations

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
*The Bad Plus "Never Stop II"
*Jon Baptiste "Hollywood Africans"
Owen Broder "Heritage"
*Andrew Cyrille "Lebroba"
Orrin Evans & The Captain Black Band "Presence"
Carlos Hernriquez "Dizzy Con Clave"
Harold Lopez-Nussa "Un Dia Chalquiera"
*Charles Lloyd & The Marvels + Lucinda Williams
Thomas Marriott "Romance Language"
*Brad Mehldau "Seymour Reads The Constitution"
Jeremy Pelt "Noir en Rouge - Live in Paris"
Houston Person & Ron Carter "Remember Love"
Wayne Powers "If Love Were All"
*Jure Pukl "Doubtless"
Scott Reeves Jazz Orchestra "Without a Trace"
David Ricard Big Band "Parallels"
*Terrell Stafford "Brotherlee Love" (vinyl reissue)
*Buster Williams "Audacity"

*vinyl release

APP

Oct 1, 2014
Funny no mention here of the One Microphone recording series, Check this quote from the Audiophile Style review;
"
Review about One Mic Recording by Joe Whip at Audiophile Style.

.....These guys and this recording just rocks. Pace, rhythm, tone and soundstage are just off the charts.
The precise placement of all four of the musicians perfectly matches the photos of the sessions.
The balance of all four instruments is darn near perfect. As you can no doubt tell, I am a huge fan of this recording.
It is one of the best in terms of recording quality I have ever heard. Of course, and as always,
your view of the actual music content may vary quite considerably from mine.
Nonetheless, I think we would all agree that this recording sounds sensational...."

I tend to agree, superb recordings all 4 of them;

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing