Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Wing Seiryu arrives at Believe High Fidelity

Quote Originally Posted by amadeus View Post
    I did received my Blue Dragon And Red Sparrow as well and i am gonna mount one of this Carts soon on Thales Statement Arm but i really cant choose..
    Which Cart i will start whit?
    Can you guys please explain the differences of this two first class Cartridges?
    Weight. Different materials. Presumably different compliance.

Fortunate for you to have both to play with!
    Regards,
    Erik
    Solypsa Audio

Distributor in North America for
    Sensitive Sound MC Cartridges

Available for in home setup and calibration of fine turntable systems

I now have about twenty hours on the Red Sparrow. Well I cheated a little... had my secretary played it when I was in the meetings and during weekend . Yesterday I listened about four hours. Right now I am playing it too.

Peter asked me to compare to the Opus1 and the Atlas SL. I will do just that. May be after 100 hrs what I write today will be different. But for now...

The Red Sparrow is super in detail rethrieval and resolution. If you are not accustomed to hearing exceptional transparent tiny details from vinyls you will be amazed by this cart. The resolution of RS is about as high as the Opus and I haven’t heard anything more resolve than the Opus. In piano, you can clearly hear how hammer strike the string. And in Cello, you practically hear into the texture of strings. The AtlasSL is less resolve than these two on my current set up. But just for a note, My AtlasSL is on the Axiom arm, EMT 927 using EMT JPA66 phono. The RS is on SAT/AF1P while Opus1 is on SAT/Kronos using the same Ayon wonderful phono that no one but me use in this forum. Definitely not apple to apple.

RS has a tone that is as vivid as Opus1 making the AtlasSL a shade greyish in comparison. The body of RS is smaller with less meat on the bone than both Opus and SL. Image size is Asian size with a stage set further back. Midbass is less than both Opus and SL. Bass region doesn’t seem to be the high light of this cart. Extension on highs is as good as the other two. The cart seems to be linear from bottom to top but the bottom is not so heavy. RS is not warm and not cold. Very detail but not analytical.

Dimensionality. Both Opus and SL are more dimensional, dense...more object-like sound. The RS is flat in comparison. It has depth, it has layer, but it is flat. The Opus is most holographic, follow by SL. The RS is not holographic. I mentioned of piano and cello to describe the resolution. However, On these same instruments, the Opus clearly outshines the RS in term of giving you an excellent sense of the whole body or house of cello and piano. You hear “ the whole” piano and cello with Opus and SL, not just vibration and sound from strings. Dimensionality gives you this sense of whole instrument.

Musical involvement. I built my system to get connection to the music I play. I don’t even have to play loud for both of my set ups of SL and Opus1 to draw my attention and musical involvement. The RS is less so. I get more musical “pop” and “illumination” (borrow this word from micro ) from the Opus and SL setup. With these two carts, when different instruments play at the same time, each has a lot of its own illumination, not boringly “within the crowd.” Also, When cellolist or bassist goes at it, the vibration and plug just hit my chest more with SL and Opus. With RS I have to crank the volume up more to get attack, sharp dynamic swing, the hit. I listened mostly jazz. I haven’t played RS on classical so it could be better than the Opus and SL in that type of music. Your phono need to have a very high gain to play RS dymamically. It is rated 0.2 mV. Only 0.03 mV lower than SL, but SL plays quite louder given the same volume.

The bottom line is this cart is A+ in detail rethrieval without being clinical. Transparency and resolution is sky high. The rest you just have to listen by yourself. Carts are up to ones preference. My SL took a while to grow meat and become balance. I have to play around more with RS. Switch arm to heavy mass Axiom. Switch tt. My life playing with vinyl front is a lot easier and less back ache than uncle MikeL .

Kind regards,
    Tang

Added: The sense of ambient is big delta more with Opus, smaller delta more with SL. I don’t know why the RS on one hand is so very resolving while on the other gives less ambient spatial cues than the other two.
    Last edited by Tango; 05-01-2018 at 02:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    I now have about twenty hours on the Red Sparrow. Well I cheated a little... had my secretary played it when I was in the meetings and during weekend . Yesterday I listened about four hours. Right now I am playing it too.

Peter asked me to compare to the Opus1 and the Atlas SL. I will do just that. May be after 100 hrs what I write today will be different. But for now...

The Red Sparrow is super in detail rethrieval and resolution. If you are not accustomed to hearing exceptional transparent tiny details from vinyls you will be amazed by this cart. The resolution of RS is about as high as the Opus and I haven’t heard anything more resolve than the Opus. In piano, you can clearly hear how hammer strike the string. And in Cello, you practically hear into the texture of strings. The AtlasSL is less resolve than these two on my current set up. But just for a note, My AtlasSL is on the Axiom arm, EMT 927 using EMT JPA66 phono. The RS is on SAT/AF1P while Opus1 is on SAT/Kronos using the same Ayon wonderful phono that no one but me use in this forum. Definitely not apple to apple.

RS has a tone that is as vivid as Opus1 making the AtlasSL a shade greyish in comparison. The body of RS is smaller with less meat on the bone than both Opus and SL. Image size is Asian size with a stage set further back. Midbass is less than both Opus and SL. Bass region doesn’t seem to be the high light of this cart. Extension on highs is as good as the other two. The cart seems to be linear from bottom to top but the bottom is not so heavy. RS is not warm and not cold. Very detail but not analytical.

Dimensionality. Both Opus and SL are more dimensional, dense...more object-like sound. The RS is flat in comparison. It has depth, it has layer, but it is flat. The Opus is most holographic, follow by SL. The RS is not holographic. I mentioned of piano and cello to describe the resolution. However, On these same instruments, the Opus clearly outshines the RS in term of giving you an excellent sense of the whole body or house of cello and piano. You hear “ the whole” piano and cello with Opus and SL, not just vibration and sound from strings. Dimensionality gives you this sense of whole instrument.

Musical involvement. I built my system to get connection to the music I play. I don’t even have to play loud for both of my set ups of SL and Opus1 to draw my attention and musical involvement. The RS is less so. I get more musical “pop” and “illumination” (borrow this word from micro ) from the Opus and SL setup. With these two carts, when different instruments play at the same time, each has a lot of its own illumination, not boringly “within the crowd.” Also, When cellolist or bassist goes at it, the vibration and plug just hit my chest more with SL and Opus. With RS I have to crank the volume up more to get attack, sharp dynamic swing, the hit. I listened mostly jazz. I haven’t played RS on classical so it could be better than the Opus and SL in that type of music. Your phono need to have a very high gain to play RS dymamically. It is rated 0.2 mV. Only 0.03 mV lower than SL, but SL plays quite louder given the same volume.

The bottom line is this cart is A+ in detail rethrieval without being clinical. Transparency and resolution is sky high. The rest you just have to listen by yourself. Carts are up to ones preference. My SL took a while to grow meat and become balance. I have to play around more with RS. Switch arm to heavy mass Axiom. Switch tt. My life playing with vinyl front is a lot easier and less back ache than uncle MikeL .

Kind regards,
    Tang

Added: The sense of ambient is big delta more with Opus, smaller delta more with SL. I don’t know why the RS on one hand is so very resolving while on the other gives less ambient spatial cues than the other two.
    Hi Tang

What do you load the Red Sparrow at? I see it's not an MC and closer to MM in design. 47k or more normal loading of 100 ohms or similar.

Cheers
    Shane
    Source:TW Raven AC-3 - Thales Simplicity II, Exclusive P3, Technics SP10mk3, Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas SL, Etna SL, Delos, Dynavector XV-1s, Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon DL-S1, ESC'd 103R, Audio Tech AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: TW Acustik/Thoress phono, Accuphase C-37 EQ: ​​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: cj GAT, Amps: cj teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum Stereo, Speakers: Wilson Maxx3 -Townsend Supertweeters

Kind regards,
    Tang

I really appreciate your report, Tang. It is very easy to understand what you are hearing and the differences you describe. Thank you so much.

You do mention that the cartridges are all on different arms, turntables and phono stages. You have written in the past that you don't think the turntables contribute much or anything to the differences you hear, but I suspect the arms and perhaps the phono stages/cables do. This is great information, and if you get around to switching the cartridges around for different combinations, that will add some important information to these impressions. Great work.

What do you mean by your comment about MikeL's vinyl playing being more of a back ache? He seems to have fewer choices than you do with your incredible cartridge/arm/table collection. Is this a reference to his amplifier choices?
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-22 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Q3, Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar

Kind regards,
    Tang

depends on who has to install your AS-2000 when it arrives. agree that arms and cartridges are easier to move around than amplifiers or tape decks.

thank you Tang for your feedback on this new cartridge. sounds to me like the Opus1 and Atlas SL both overall bring more to the music. it's is a service to all of us you having such a wide array of top cartridges (and arms.....and tt's) to comment from. many thanks for all your considerable efforts.
    Wave Kin. NVS tt, AS-2000 ord. (2) Durand Telos (1-Sapphire) arms, CA Gold Stat, Ort Anna carts, -2- Studer A-820 RTR (1/4" + 1/2").*MSB Select II dac w/33 Femto clock + mono powerbases, SGM serv + (2x) 30 tb NAS. *darT NHB-18NS w/2 phonos, King-Cello. *dart 458 mono blocks. EA MM7. *Equi=tech 10WQ, (10) Abso Fid PC & (2) Evo Acou PC. *Evo Acou 12' TRSC and 8m + 1.25m 'zeel' ic's, *Tripoint Troy Sig + Elite, Entreq Sil Tel + Pos, *Herzan TS-140 & TS-150, Wave Kin. A10 U8's + 2NS, Adona GTX.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    On the Audio Exotics Forum, they’re going loco over the Red and Blue, calling them “game changers”, “end game carts”.

Tang’s analysis seems to be a bit more realistic and, dare I say it, accurate.

Maybe another example of Flavour Of The Month from the acolytes on that forum?

Quote Originally Posted by spiritofmusic View Post
    On the Audio Exotics Forum, they’re going loco over the Red and Blue, calling them “game changers”, “end game carts”.

Tang’s analysis seems to be a bit more realistic and, dare I say it, accurate.

Maybe another example of Flavour Of The Month from the acolytes on that forum?
    LOL. until next month
    Source:TW Raven AC-3 - Thales Simplicity II, Exclusive P3, Technics SP10mk3, Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas SL, Etna SL, Delos, Dynavector XV-1s, Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon DL-S1, ESC'd 103R, Audio Tech AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: TW Acustik/Thoress phono, Accuphase C-37 EQ: ​​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: cj GAT, Amps: cj teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum Stereo, Speakers: Wilson Maxx3 -Townsend Supertweeters

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    I think we will have to wait till Tang changes his arm, cart, and TT combo
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! MadFloyd's Avatar
    Slightly off topic, but Tang, do I recall correctly that you also had the MSL Platinum and found it very similar to the Opus-1? I am guessing you eventually decided it wasn't as good?
    Speakers: Magico M-Project w/MPods Amplification: CAT JL7s, <preamp?>, CH Precision P1
    Analog: Kronos Pro Limited Edition / SCPS-1 / Black Beauty tonearm / Lyra Atlas SL, Airtight Opus-1
    Digital: Roon / dCS Upsampler / Schiit Yggdrasil DAC
    Cables/Power: Kubala Sosna SC, ZenWave D4 interconnects

Addicted to Best!
    I have not much time to write as I am currently at work but I don’t recognise quite a few observations by Tang in the General’s system. In brief:

> Bass was very deep and textured and plenty of it
    > Spatial resolution was incredible with loads of harmonic texture and generous in mid bass
    > Ultra vivid mid range and extended treble
    > Highly musical

These observations were vs Sumile cart (and Benz LPS very short time).

I wonder whether this cart is very sensitive to arm, loading, gain, vta etc to explain this.

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast