Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Top Wing Seiryu arrives at Believe High Fidelity

I'll second that the Kinea is much more impressive in person.
    Regards,
    Erik
    Solypsa Audio

Distributor in North America for
    Sensitive Sound MC Cartridges

Available for in home setup and calibration of fine turntable systems

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best! Believe High Fidelity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    Around the beginning of next month brother.

david
    Too close. Even with the LAAS show being cancelled I will still be flying out on the 5th on June coming back on the 12th. May end up missing the grand occasion
    Believe High Fidelity Ltd is the North American Distributor for:

Aries Cerat Ltd
    Torqueo Audio
    Vermouth Audio Cables
    Etsuro Urushi Cartridges
    Primary Control
    Echo Diastasis
    Top Wing

Kassandra LE DAC wins Best DAC of 2016/2017 with reviewer purchase @ Mono & Stereo! Article here

Like us on Facebook!

Email: j@Ibelieveinhifi.com
    Web: www.ibelieveinhifi.com

Quote Originally Posted by Believe High Fidelity View Post
    Here I was thinking that you were giving a comprehensive review of the RS....disappointing.
    How did I miss this line. Disappoint of what? I wrote plenty good things about this cart.

My hearing and testing protocol must be substandard then.

Right now I clock 60 hrs on this cart. I changed the phono from Ayon to the EMT with continuous adjustable loading. Two days ago, I was playing with the loading adjustment knob for two hours. I know what I am hearing. But since my hearing is not so good, maybe I should just send this RS to Peter or Shane or Gian to listen to it for a month and write a comparative review. Peter has been living with Airtight and MSL while Shane has been living with Atlas and AtlasSL and Gian even has both Opus1 and AtlasSL. All of them should be more experience than me and not an industry associate.

Tang

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    I compared the Top wing to Allaerts boron mk2 and a bespoke cart of less than 0.2 mv made by Anamighty sound using the Schroeder CB arm and the Anamighty sound phono (anamighty is a vinyl services shop in Paris). I preferred the Anamighty sound cart the most- it was like a musical version of Lyra... Extremely detailed, fast, transparent, but with more decay and musicality than Lyra. Fast transients like Decca. The Allaerts came second with more body and depth than top wing, and better on vocals, while top wing had more liquid highs and details than the Allaerts. So, I kind of relate to Tang's comments. However this is not what Bill heard, and I would like to listen to these carts with the Thrax next. They are a dealer for top wing and extremely good at set up. They changed VTA by fractions to affect sound, it was quite interesting watching them in action.
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Ked, Iím sure you know as much as anyone that there can be a trade off in speed/agility v heft/density/bass extension.
    This v well may be what you will hear in La Grange v Balance.
    Certainly when I heard La Grange many moons ago, it seemed superior to TW AC3 and SME 20 (different dealers, different systems).
    My guess is that for purely classical listening, the authority/heft/texture of Balance would mean more than perceived extra nimbleness of La Grange.
    Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    I compared the Top wing to Allaerts boron mk2 and a bespoke cart of less than 0.2 mv made by Anamighty sound using the Schroeder CB arm and the Anamighty sound phono (anamighty is a vinyl services shop in Paris). I preferred the Anamighty sound cart the most- it was like a musical version of Lyra... Extremely detailed, fast, transparent, but with more decay and musicality than Lyra. Fast transients like Decca. The Allaerts came second with more body and depth than top wing, and better on vocals, while top wing had more liquid highs and details than the Allaerts. So, I kind of relate to Tang's comments. However this is not what Bill heard, and I would like to listen to these carts with the Thrax next. They are a dealer for top wing and extremely good at set up. They changed VTA by fractions to affect sound, it was quite interesting watching them in action.
    Ked, were they changing VTA during the initial cartridge set up proceedure, or after that to further fine tune the sound for different LPs? I suspect, as more listening impressions are shared for these new Top Wing cartridges, that people will find things they like and don't like so much. In this sense, they seem little different from other top tier cartridges, despite the incredible early reports. It is clear that no one cartridge does it all, and that they all have various strengths and weaknesses.
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-22 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Q3, Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    How did I miss this line. Disappoint of what? I wrote plenty good things about this cart.

My hearing and testing protocol must be substandard then.

Right now I clock 60 hrs on this cart. I changed the phono from Ayon to the EMT with continuous adjustable loading. Two days ago, I was playing with the loading adjustment knob for two hours. I know what I am hearing. But since my hearing is not so good, maybe I should just send this RS to Peter or Shane or Gian to listen to it for a month and write a comparative review. Peter has been living with Airtight and MSL while Shane has been living with Atlas and AtlasSL and Gian even has both Opus1 and AtlasSL. All of them should be more experience than me and not an industry associate.

Tang
    I would not worry, Tang. Not everyone will be satisfied with your reports of what you hear, or your methods of comparison. You are not a professional reviewer, nor are you paid for sharing your impressions. I appreciate your efforts and willingness to write in these forums. You are only able to do what you can within your limits of time and experience. As you own many top flight examples of turntables, arms, and cartridges, I value your position as a hobbyist and collector and not as one who has a vested interest in the results. I like your style and your candor.
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-22 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Q3, Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

Quote Originally Posted by Believe High Fidelity View Post
    Too close. Even with the LAAS show being cancelled I will still be flying out on the 5th on June coming back on the 12th. May end up missing the grand occasion
    We’ll figure out the dates to make it work when we’re closer to d-day!
    davis
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformers,
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.
    VENTA Air Washers & Humidifiers

Manufacturer: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack.

System 1: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1
    System 2: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 2- Near field setup

Peter, as you say not every component does it all, incl carts.
    If this Top Wing did, I guess well heeled audiophiles would all flock to it.
    And it seems itís all in the install/dialling in as well.
    Nothing new here.
    Whatís interesting is that the AE crowd have gone gaga over the Top Wings, and for the first time Iíve heard of reports on our side (Audiophile Bill, ZeroStarGeneral) that are backing up the hype.
    As opposed to other AE epiphanies that get little or no feedback here eg Trinity, Divin, Pranawire, Wadax etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Ked, were they changing VTA during the initial cartridge set up proceedure, or after that to further fine tune the sound for different LPs? I suspect, as more listening impressions are shared for these new Top Wing cartridges, that people will find things they like and don't like so much. In this sense, they seem little different from other top tier cartridges, despite the incredible early reports. It is clear that no one cartridge does it all, and that they all have various strengths and weaknesses.
    To tune your LPs, like you do. And I could hear differences that mattered
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920 LastLast