Top Wing Seiryu arrives at Believe High Fidelity

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
My humble feed on this.(It is the Sidre btw)
I think the Bergmann LT is probably top tracker in comparison to most LT i had the opportunity to play on.I have seen LT jump around just by looking at the table :) no names needed to be mentioned :)

Having the air supply on the carrier and not the tonearm makes a lot of positive difference,as the other way around creates unsolvable issues.
However..The tonearm is light,and it does sounds lighter in midbass compared to conventional ,uni or not.
Also the VTF is not practical to adjust ,same as VTA.

It is one of the quietest TT i had the pleasure to work on though.

Cheers

Stavros,

If you have the opportunity, listen to the new Galder and/or the new Odin tonearm. I don't know how Johnnie Bergmann did it, but it is exceptionally full, with quite good bass/mid-bass.
I do agree the original designs (Magne/Sindre/Sleipner) were different, perhaps not as full in the bass/midbass, thus requiring a cartridge with a little more body.

cheers,
Alex

Reactions: Aries Cerat

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hey Alex
Do you know if the Sindre can accept the new tonearms?
Cheers
Stavros

Stravros,

I don't see why it wouldn't, as the Odin was designed to be as universal as possible. But just in case, I've asked Johnnie for confirmation. You might just need a specific armboard for it.

I'll follow up here once I heard back from Johnnie.

thanks,
Alex

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Stravros,

Just heard back from Johnnie, and indeed, as I expected, it is possible to mount the Odin on your Sindre, it'll just require a specific, custom armboard. If you don't have a local dealer, you can contact Johnnie directly and he'll help you, or maybe I can help too.

Thanks,
Alex

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
For your consumption the Top Wing Suzaku (Red Sparrow) review from Michael Fremer is in this May Issue of Stereophile

thumbnail_IMG_6417.jpg

Reactions: bonzo75

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
What did he say? Better than Kuzma or better than Atlas?

He implied it was for acoustic jazz and classical.

"... all about instrumental colors and textures, ... less about hard transients and bright lights. ...its sound was fast and effervescent, ... in the wrong system it could probably sound 'squooshy'."

Whatever that means.

His column also covered the Hificiton Thales Statement tonearm.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

"... all about instrumental colors and textures, ... less about hard transients and bright lights. ...its sound was fast and effervescent, ... in the wrong system it could probably sound 'squooshy'."

Whatever that means.

I can't view the May issue in Zinio

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Whatever that means.

Interesting that the little snippet here doesn’t really capture the negative issues that some had in their systems where it is the opposite of “squooshy” and in fact was found to be a bit etched, detailed, fast and thin.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Whatever that means.

That is sort of what I pictured him saying tbh.

I also can't view May on Zino.

What did he say about the Thales? I wonder if he broke another cartridge using it. :p

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Interesting that the little snippet here doesn’t really capture the negative issues that some had in their systems where it is the opposite of “squooshy” and in fact was found to be a bit etched, detailed, fast and thin.

I'm not familiar with the cartridge so no opinion. But what you report is quite the contrast with other remarks in MF's article not just the snippet. He did talk about "...in the right system...". More was devoted to other items about the cartridge (lack of specs, how it worked, defective first sample) than it was to sonics.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
That is sort of what I pictured him saying tbh.

I also can't view May on Zino.

What did he say about the Thales? I wonder if he broke another cartridge using it. :p

Shorter article. Again more about build and build quality than sonics. Lower resonance. Nice bass. Says he doesn't hear any particular benefits to tangential tracking vs his 9" reference 'arm - whatever that is, probably the SAT.

Reactions: XV-1

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I'm not familiar with the cartridge so no opinion. But what you report is quite the contrast with other remarks in MF's article not just the snippet. He did talk about "...in the right system...". More was devoted to other items about the cartridge (lack of specs, how it worked, defective first sample) than it was to sonics.

I haven’t read the article yet so look forward to that. FWIW - it isn’t what I report.

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
For us non native-english part of the world,what does squooshy means?
And can someone read between the lines and extrapolate about what the right system might be?

Reactions: marmota

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
For us non native-english part of the world,what does squooshy means?
And can someone read between the lines and extrapolate about what the right system might be?

I think the way it was sounding in your videos is excellent (and full not thin) and similar to what I hear in generals and Bill's, but did not hear in a couple other systems (one documented in my Anamighty report and the other in my FM vs Thrax report). The last two seem to concur with what tang heard as well as what one other in a horn based system heard, while yet one more called it rolled off. So there seems to be a lot of inconsistency it is primal very sensitive to VTA, loading, and systems. All the above were very good with analog set ups (or had help) so it is not lack of expertise that's the issue

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
I think the way it was sounding in your videos is excellent (and full not thin) and similar to what I hear in generals and Bill's, but did not hear in a couple other systems (one documented in my Anamighty report and the other in my FM vs Thrax report). The last two seem to concur with what tang heard as well as what one other in a horn based system heard, while yet one more called it rolled off. So there seems to be a lot of inconsistency it is primal very sensitive to VTA, loading, and systems. All the above were very good with analog set ups (or had help) so it is not lack of expertise that's the issue
Is it the a pattern /correlation between these results,and the type of phono amplification?

Reactions: dan31

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Is it the a pattern /correlation between these results,and the type of phono amplification?

Well it seems to play well with Mayer, NVO, and someone I know also tried it successfully with Allnic. So different designs, different gain. Tang tried it with EMT and didn't work, General tried it with EMT and it worked as with Mayer. At Anamighty it was tried with Thrax and their own current phono, it didn't work that well, and in another it didn't work with Thrax, FM, and audio tekne. So don't think it is the phono. If I can hear it sound good on a couple of random pivoted arms, I am in!

Reactions: Aries Cerat

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing