Top Wing Seiryu arrives at Believe High Fidelity

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I am interested in buying the AnalogMagik as well. I need all the tools that can help me because, I will say this out loud in the open, I suck at cartridge set up! I am probably the only vinyl person in this forum whom not good at setting up cart. I rely on my tonearm guy who makes his living of setting up carts and tt for so many systems here in Thailand. In fact I should put him on my company payroll :D.

So you guys don’t for one second think I know what I am doing setting up carts. I am no ddk or Peter. I only can use my ears to fine tune the setup that my tonearm guy do for me. Dietrich is another tonearm guy who does his things for me and egolessly ask me every time if it sounds right to me. Ddk will be with me in maybe a month. There shouldn’t be any question of setup by then since he did setup the RS in his system once before.

Kind regards,
Tang

I promise to teach you how to setup cartridges when I'm there Tang, not much to it when you know what you're doing and no gadgets needed!

david

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I promise to teach you how to setup cartridges when I'm there Tang, not much to it when you know what you're doing and no gadgets needed!

david

Is taking out my grounding gadgets part of the cartridge setup training? :p

Tang

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Is taking out my grounding gadgets part of the cartridge setup training? :p

Tang

It will make life and setup easier, your choice in the end and you can always hook them back up again :).

david

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

david

All hail the “EEI Rebirth” Edition bayonet Mount alignment system. Alignment is actually fun and easy with this system for bayonet type arms.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I am interested in buying the AnalogMagik as well. I need all the tools that can help me because, I will say this out loud in the open, I suck at cartridge set up! I am probably the only vinyl person in this forum whom not good at setting up cart. I rely on my tonearm guy who makes his living of setting up carts and tt for so many systems here in Thailand. In fact I should put him on my company payroll :D.

So you guys don’t for one second think I know what I am doing setting up carts. I am no ddk or Peter. I only can use my ears to fine tune the setup that my tonearm guy do for me. Dietrich is another tonearm guy who does his things for me and egolessly ask me every time if it sounds right to me. Ddk will be with me in maybe a month. There shouldn’t be any question of setup by then since he did setup the RS in his system once before.

Kind regards,
Tang

I am near sighted, have deforming arthritis and a lengthy genetic legacy of in-coordination. If I can competently set up a cartridge, anyone can do it!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hi Tang

What do you load the Red Sparrow at? I see it's not an MC and closer to MM in design. 47k or more normal loading of 100 ohms or similar.

Cheers
Shane

Hi Shane,

Sorry I thought I already answered your question yesterday. I used my mobile to answer you yesterday. But I guess it didn’t go through.

I don’t like putting any restrictors on my Ayon phono. I tried trstrictors but guess what.. I felt it restricted my sound...hehe :D. It is like Lamm LP1 that has no loading adjustment.

Kind regards,
Tang

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I am near sighted, have deforming arthritis and a lengthy genetic legacy of in-coordination. If I can competently set up a cartridge, anyone can do it!
One of the few times near sight is of benefit

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Hi DeveyF,

The new tubes for my Ayon Phono are on the way. I haven’t changed tubes yet. But I don’t think this will effect much of the aspects of sound I commented. Beside the Opus1 is also using with this very same phono and on SAT as well. Only variables are tts and cartridge setting.

Kind regards,
Tang

Ok, but once the new tubes are in, please do get back to us with your impressions. I have a sneaky feeling you will be very pleased!
I would suggest some exotic tube rolling into the Lamm phono stage, but this would probably not be met with much enthusiasm.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I would suggest some exotic tube rolling into the Lamm phono stage, but this would probably not be met with much enthusiasm.

I’ll do it gladly if you can offer an alternative to the Russian 6C3P & 6C45P-E tubes.

david

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I’ll do it gladly if you can offer an alternative to the Russian 6C3P & 6C45P-E tubes.

david

Too bad you believe that one is locked into those tubes with the Lamm gear.:eek:
(Although one could try and source a Western Electric 5842 or a Western Electric 437a...:D)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
As David is the only one I know with WE 417As, I wouldn't be surprised if he had those LOL

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Yes, the sound has a lot of family resemblances. One cart has more in degree of some attribute in comparison to another doesn’t mean it is better generally than the other imo. MSL P has nicer midbass than Opus1. Opus1 has better high extension and more holographic than MSL P. So it is really up to personal preferences. The MSL P is now on my Axiom/EMT. I took the Palladian off. I like the MSL more than the Palladian.

Kind regards,
Tang

I appreciate the response and comparison, Tang. I was curious since the MSL is less expensive than the Opus. Good to know what the differences are.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
On the Audio Exotics Forum, they’re going loco over the Red and Blue, calling them “game changers”, “end game carts”.

Tang’s analysis seems to be a bit more realistic and, dare I say it, accurate.

Maybe another example of Flavour Of The Month from the acolytes on that forum?

Like grounding boxes ;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Dave, too many tts/arms/carts
Too few hours sleeping.
Gotta be a connection.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Dave, too many tts/arms/carts
Too few hours sleeping.
Gotta be a connection.
:). Bad habit lingering from my younger days, 12-14 hour work days at the factory and then out with friends into the morning almost every night, but I must admit that I’m not at the same energy level anymore.

david

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Will be breaking in the Red Sparrow with the Primary Control Kinea on the LE system tomorrow. See how it stacks up to the Transrotor and Opus 1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing