Tripoint Troy Elite - Installed

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I think you could try two things:

1/Tripoints into power amps circuits. Connect only power amps to Tripoints.
2/Removing the P20. Replace it with a power distribution. Plug pre , dac and phono to power distribution.
Alas the Tripoint is not here any longer. Phew....

Reactions: Hieukm

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Last edited:

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
A few helpful people have mentioned that perhaps my PS Audi P20 might not be a good fit with grounding boxes. I might have to try that out one day.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
A few helpful people have mentioned that perhaps my PS Audi P20 might not be a good fit with grounding boxes. I might have to try that out one day.
Well Howie, that might be a good thing. Imagine, a power product so good it obviates further need to spend on further power products. Don't knock it!

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Well Howie, that might be a good thing. Imagine, a power product so good it obviates further need to spend on further power products. Don't knock it!
No, not at all. I would like to hear the Tripoint in a system where it works just for curiosity. Then at least I can dream about its potential in mine.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No, not at all. I would like to hear the Tripoint in a system where it works just for curiosity. Then at least I can dream about its potential in mine.

This is a very good attitude, where you try to see what a component sounds like optimized so that you can see how far it is going in yours. As compared to some here who judge a component based on limiting factors (for the component) in their system.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
This is a very good attitude, where you try to see what a component sounds like optimized so that you can see how far it is going in yours. As compared to some here who judge a component based on limiting factors (for the component) in their system.
Well thank you Ked. I never diss something because it didn't work for me (yet). Lord knows it might simply be my ears!

Reactions: bonzo75

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well thank you Ked. I never diss something because it didn't work for me (yet). Lord knows it might simply be my ears!
Some top end gear should come w free ear syringe and pre-paid course of cult de-radicalising therapy.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes. I double checked with Miguel and other users. They were the standard Tripoint cables, not the super duper ones. I agree that the improvement should be better with the more expensive cables but surely there should still be some improvement with the standard cables and not a degradation of the sound? That was what I can't quite work out. One thing perhaps of interest is that my dealer told me that he had found the same issue in Houses in China as opposed to apartments, where the improvement was universal and consistent. He wasn't sure if it had something to do with the electricity supplies to houses vs supply to apartments over here. In any event, he was not too surprised at my findings after i returned it.

No one knows how these thinks really work - the same way with the Qkore and many tweaks - so we try and listen. If it works we can consider keeping them, otherwise we move out. Explanations are usually futile - I know of an owner of a top system who owns the P20 and is the enthusiasic owner of a full Nordost Qkore system, he even persuaded me to try it ...

onlychild

Sep 18, 2019

Does your P20 have a ground plug on it?

I am expecting my Signature NG in a week or so and I’m using a Stromtank battery power supply so your findings do have me concerned a little.

The Stromtank I am using has a ground plug already and it’s probably going to be the first thing I hook up to the Tripoint.

Did you try connecting the tripoint to the P20 along with your other components?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm sure grounding is hugely room and grid dependent. In my old space, Entreq was literally a life saver. It wrought quietitude, some semblance of air and imaging/depth into my round. Semi-polished a pretty rough diamond of a sound.

Here, it's way more borderline. And tbh, would I spend on it based only my experience here? Maybe not.

But it brings just enough ease and structure to sound, I'm happy to keep it in.

It remains the biggest conundrum of my ancilliaries spends.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012

I am expecting my Signature NG in a week or so and I’m using a Stromtank battery power supply so your findings do have me concerned a little.

The Stromtank I am using has a ground plug already and it’s probably going to be the first thing I hook up to the Tripoint.

Did you try connecting the tripoint to the P20 along with your other components?
Yes it has a ground. I did initially connect the tripoint to the p20 but the effects were negative. I was advised to plug the tripoint into the wall, not the P20 and I was hoping that would be the difference but it wasn't.

Reactions: QuadDiffuser

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
Hi Howie,
I plug the Tripoint into the wall shared with my amps and the Transparent Power Isolator is not connected to the Elite. I do connect the components plugged into the power isolator to the Elite with Miguel's Thor cables, I found this provides the best sound to my ears. Sorry it didn't work for you.

Dave

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012

Hello,

Although I am not familiar with your Stromtank I would not worry. Howie’s experience baffles me somewhat, although I informed him privately that his PS Audio P 20 is not a good combination at all with Tripoint products. Used to employ some older PS Audio units myself in the past and got rid of those once I started playing with various Tripoint components. If you are looking for a refined, pure and dynamic presentation of your music I have no doubts whatsoever that the Signature NG is going to make you very happy Indeed. The Elite NG is doing that right now in my LA set up.

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Hello,

Although I am not familiar with your Stromtank I would not worry. Howie’s experience baffles me somewhat, although I informed him privately that his PS Audio P 20 is not a good combination at all with Tripoint products. Used to employ some older PS Audio units myself in the past and got rid of those once I started playing with various Tripoint components. If you are looking for a refined, pure and dynamic presentation of your music I have no doubts whatsoever that the Signature NG is going to make you very happy Indeed. The Elite NG is doing that right now in my LA set up.

Congratulations Rudolf Whit your Tripoint Troy Elite your system was already reference level so it must be crazy good know!

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Hi Howie,
I plug the Tripoint into the wall shared with my amps and the Transparent Power Isolator is not connected to the Elite. I do connect the components plugged into the power isolator to the Elite with Miguel's Thor cables, I found this provides the best sound to my ears. Sorry it didn't work for you.

Dave
No problem. Mine is similar except I have a P20 inatead of your Transparent Isolator. May be the P20 negates/prevents the Trip pint from doing its stuff.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Congratulations Rudolf Whit your Tripoint Troy Elite your system was already reference level so it must be crazy good know!

Thanks much Amadeus. The LA / Kondo
set up sounds so much better in comparison to when you visited me a couple of months ago; hard to believe what ageing/playing in of ground cables and eliminating crosstalk can do for an audio system. And of course the Tripoint Troy Elite NG is one heck of a ground station. Compared to the sound we both experienced during your visit I hear : a lower noisefloor, more transparency (the (micro) information that is laid bare in the recordings is just ‘crazy’), more speed, more refinement, larger soundstage, better low end, more density, much better dynamics and the tonality has become more beautiful (or if you want: warmer).

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
As was to be expected the powercord of the Elite NG is not stable yet. During the ‘good’ periods the music replay is to die for: the LA / Kondo set up very clearly sounds better during these magical moments than even before. However, during the ‘bad’ shifts the music presentation is sterile, strident, etc, that is pretty horrific. Not sure how long these changes will last. Marcus, can you share your experiences in this regard?

Of course I could disconnect the pc during these bad periods but on the other hand the playing / burning in of this cable goes faster when it is connected to the powerstrip. And as mentioned before, the pc brings a lot to the table. So let’s see how things turn out the next couple of weeks.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
As was to be expected the powercord of the Elite NG is not stable yet. During the ‘good’ periods the music replay is to die for: the LA / Kondo set up very clearly sounds better during these magical moments than even before. However, during the ‘bad’ shifts the music presentation is sterile, strident, etc, that is pretty horrific. Not sure how long these changes will last. Marcus, can you share your experiences in this regard?
Unfortunately I can’t. My Elite NG came with two Emperor mkii grounding cables and as you can read in my report, I listened to the whole package, so can’t isolate burn-in time for each cable. Also I got Emperor PC which may be different than what you have.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Unfortunately I can’t. My Elite NG came with two Emperor mkii grounding cables and as you can read in my report, I listened to the whole package, so can’t isolate burn-in time for each cable. Also I got Emperor PC which may be different than what you have.

I understand what you are saying. Just to be sure as regards the powercords I checked with Miguel: our pc’s are the same. I presume the pc makes in your system a very profound difference for the better as well?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing