Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Alpha and Delta NR VS Zitron and Older Line

[Technical Expert] [Industry Expert]
    Quote Originally Posted by ken6217 View Post
    You would, or would not recommend the Cobra? Recommendations are always personal preference.

I started with the Alpha HC, and then moved to the Sigma HC on some components and Sigma NR on others. I now have King Cobra CX on all my components in my system and it has never sounded better. I found that even though the newer power cords have more resolution, they sound too thin with no meat on the bones in my opinion.
    Given the many choices at various price points, I normally don't recommend Cobra zi-tron because from overall feedback, it did not compare favorably to other past models like CX or Python/Anaconda zi-tron models, for example. My recommendations are listed above. I don't factor in my personal preference, but the wealth of feedback we have received over the years. Richard, at the factory and I speak to an extraordinary number of customers and dealers, so our recommendations reflect that feedback.

King Cobra CX and Anaconda CX were amazing products, as was the Black Mamba CX HC at its price. I would characterize the KC CX as having a warm, natural sound with full body and a characteristic _weight_ in the lower midrange and bass befitting a near 5 gauge power cord. The Sigmas are definitely more resolute, nimble and neutrally balanced based on feedback, but I can understand someone favoring a KC CX in one system versus another. The NR models are all heavy-awg.copper products beginning to end, so they don't typically present as thin or lacking weight or body. We've received favorable responses in terms of Sigma NR's tonality, but certainly depending on the system I wouldn't argue with anyone who prefers the KC CX, which leans into the expression of body, warmth and richness in sound over timing and low-level detail. Again, each system and listener is unique so there are no wrong answers in terms of what may be favored in a given system between the KC CX and NR models.

Regards,

Grant
    Grant Samuelsen
    Director, Marketing and Sales
    Shunyata Research

^ Beautifully put Grant. The development of presentation between the various Shunyata pc models is great to be able to capture. We build on our understanding even though so many good things have been written about the cables over the years.

Everything is relative and there are a range of factors that might lead some to prefer different iterations of these over others on the context of each system and on simple personal preference.

While there is a mix of strengths and constraints between them you could build a great system pretty much around any of the cables discussed over the last dozen posts. For me also the Z Cobras were a bit problematic in that while they had a keen resolution which I found attractive coming from Black Mamba HCs but overall the balance was then a shade leaner than most of the other cables in the higher end of the Shunyata spectrum. That said they still had way better bass qualities in terms of agility than most ‘ordinary’ cables by a mile. But clearly from these earlier generations both Zitron and CX Pythons just dig deeper and have a better balance and body with Anacondas more so again. If KCs are even warmer still they could clearly be perfect for some systems and just as logically not as ideal in others where the system asks for less contribution in that quality over other sonic deliverables.

So the reality is that through time we build our systems around critical elements such as cables setting and shaping the sound beyond the essential base qualities of the speaker, amplification and source components. My systems enjoy/rely on the characteristics of the cables that I already have so a significant shift in balance or tone would require additional resetting or rebalancing. Like many I have hit something of a personal relative Shunyata happy place, in my case with a mix of Zitron Python and Anacondas and some CX pythons. I doubt that bringing in Alpha HCs or Sigmas would do any harm either so the horizons going forward are good. The one thing I do realise though is the essential importance of having these cables throughout the sound chain in the context of their capacity to help in building a properly scaled and very clear soundscape with a rather rich and immediate sense of musical connection... both vast and fast.
    Magnepan 20.7 - Harbeth 40.2 - Horn TBA - Shindo - Sanders - Sotm - Chord - Shunyata Cyclops with Anaconda and Python Ztron PCs - Wireworld Platinum Eclipse Signal Loom - Stillpoint Ultra 5s throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by ken6217 View Post
    You would, or would not recommend the Cobra? Recommendations are always personal preference.

I started with the Alpha HC, and then moved to the Sigma HC on some components and Sigma NR on others. I now have King Cobra CX on all my components in my system and it has never sounded better. I found that even though the newer power cords have more resolution, they sound too thin with no meat on the bones in my opinion.
    I would be wary of buying Cobra Zi-tron power cords. This isn't about sound quality, but it is one Shunyata cable that China decided to copy. They've done an amazing job, including a box, materials, and serial number. There is one seller on eBay selling the counterfeit Cobras and many other counterfeit cables. I've reported his Shunyata ads, so eBay seems to just care about the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Sa-dono View Post
    I would be wary of buying Cobra Zi-tron power cords. This isn't about sound quality, but it is one Shunyata cable that China decided to copy. They've done an amazing job, including a box, materials, and serial number. There is one seller on eBay selling the counterfeit Cobras and many other counterfeit cables. I've reported his Shunyata ads, so eBay seems to just care about the money.
    We haven't run into this at the factory or heard from customers about it that I'm aware of, but would of course like to know more about this if anyone has interaction with the seller. We are always happy to vet any product people are considering buying used and can check serial numbers if someone is considering a purchase. E-bay can be a tricky place to buy audio related products if you don't check on products ahead. If the seller represents as, or looks like a dealer we would know something about them. Never hesitate to contact us for more information whenever there may be a question. About 15 years ago I saw one instance of some terrible looking copies of signal cable with our name on them. Other than that, we haven't run into issues, but I'll certainly have a look around e-bay since you've mentioned it.

Regards,

Grant
    Grant Samuelsen
    Shunyata Research

Quote Originally Posted by GrantS View Post
    We haven't run into this at the factory or heard from customers about it that I'm aware of, but would of course like to know more about this if anyone has interaction with the seller. We are always happy to vet any product people are considering buying used and can check serial numbers if someone is considering a purchase. E-bay can be a tricky place to buy audio related products if you don't check on products ahead. If the seller represents as, or looks like a dealer we would know something about them. Never hesitate to contact us for more information whenever there may be a question. About 15 years ago I saw one instance of some terrible looking copies of signal cable with our name on them. Other than that, we haven't run into issues, but I'll certainly have a look around e-bay since you've mentioned it.

Regards,

Grant
    For the unassuming buyer, they look very authentic. There are a couple major differences, especially, looking at the connectors.

Real:
    https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/deta...tron-175m-15a/
    https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/...tron-175m-15a/

Chinese counterfeits:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...Shunyata+cobra
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F263942669472

Quote Originally Posted by Sa-dono View Post
    For the unassuming buyer, they look very authentic. There are a couple major differences, especially, looking at the connectors.

Real:
    https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/deta...tron-175m-15a/
    https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/...tron-175m-15a/

Chinese counterfeits:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...Shunyata+cobra
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F263942669472
    There are certainly defining differences with the connector, but but its apparent some care was put into these old-generation copies. Thank you for the information; we'll follow up on this with e-bay. This reaffirms that some care must be taken when purchasing second market products. Its never wasted time to check with the manufacturer. We have dedicated people available via e-mail and phone at the factory to help whenever a question arises. We are always happy to help with serial number checks and visual identification whenever asked and are just as eager to lend a hand whether the purchase is of a used product or new.

Thanks again for the links.

Grant
    Grant Samuelsen
    Shunyata Research

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234