I know this old arm is good but I don’t know why David,Rockitman,Tang,Ron,Mike
Use or will use having top tonearm like Sat,EliteAxiom,Black Beauty,Durand

Why 3012 is so special?
I never had and I don’t understand
Only to know for my curiosity
Regards
Gian

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Tango. Interesting...I just found one of the Denons - looks just like yours, even still has the protective clear sleeves over the barrels - so I bought it, will give it a try. Your right, at $100US, not much to lose!
Dont give up early when you try. Reward is there for thouse who have patient. An hour ago I was listening and just shook my head how this cable turning into butterfly.

My experience with cords, cables and wires is that they sound and behave the same in any system irrespective of brands, topology, etc. wires don't suddenly change character because of where one sticks them. Personal preference is a different thing, for me any type of silver is completely out no matter where in the chain it appears even if it's just the cartridge leads the same is true for all UPOCC wires simply too colored, I just can't stand any of those conductors or cables made from them. Again, personal preference excludes majority of audiophile wires I have heard and it has nothing to do with Lamm.

david
"they sound and behave the same in any system..."

Of course A plain-spoken truth rendered diplomatically. I can hear whatever a wire is doing. I know we're all supposed to say, ears be the judge, adopt a radically subjective posture, but that's just silly. The listening mind is a priori to the mechainim, and Nordost sounds like Nordost...

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

BTW, Peter, if you are listening here, I've been listening to that Denon IC...intriguing, fabulous tone, liquid pace...limits on rear stage space. Just when you think its stopped changing, stabilized at a point, you get a little more. Very "live" wire. Energized harmonic core, if that makes any sense....hmmm.

Dont give up early when you try. Reward is there for thouse who have patient. An hour ago I was listening and just shook my head how this cable turning into butterfly.
Sorry, not Peter on the Denon IC; you, Tango. I can't keep track of everyone here! Tango, I have some further thoughts on the Denon IC, if you are interested.

I know David´s favor for these SME arms. Some of the older ones use excellent old copper litzes, the later ones not. Anyhow - David´s system is a natural sound system, very nice btw.
Today, if you are really having access to a modern well equipped and lined up system you know how good you may listen to all kinds of music. In the sound systems of today you may use modern tonearms as well as vintage ones but with new silver wiring installed. Just take a SAEC 506 with new Ikeda wiring or the most expensive arm, the Acoustical Systems Titanium Grand Complication. You will hear a difference!

Best
E.

www.AudioCirc.com

Attachments

• 2B988C0D-4B5C-4482-ABD7-61816105D292.jpeg
    2B988C0D-4B5C-4482-ABD7-61816105D292.jpeg
    1,009.5 KB · Views: 39
  • DE3A3C30-3285-4B9B-A3B5-175B5DEB331A.jpeg
    DE3A3C30-3285-4B9B-A3B5-175B5DEB331A.jpeg
    663.6 KB · Views: 37
  • CA1B8F21-4495-4D8F-9C4C-C3F58EA6AE98.jpeg
    CA1B8F21-4495-4D8F-9C4C-C3F58EA6AE98.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Reactions: mtemur and ctydwn
I know David´s favor for these SME arms. Some of the older ones use excellent old copper litzes, the later ones not. Anyhow - David´s system is a natural sound system, very nice btw.
Today, if you are really having access to a modern well equipped and lined up system you know how good you may listen to all kinds of music. In the sound systems of today you may use modern tonearms as well as vintage ones but with new silver wiring installed. Just take a SAEC 506 with new Ikeda wiring or the most expensive arm, the Acoustical Systems Titanium Grand Complication. You will hear a difference!

Best
E.

www.AudioCirc.com
i'm excited to hear how the Primary Control FCL arm might enter that Acoustical System's level. not sure it will.......

Reactions: 108CY
Thank you, E. I hear you; the "modern" (what happened to post-modern?) systems in hi-end audio have made strides in many areas, mostly, in my opinion, at stimulating the left hemisphere of the brain.

I have no innate bias on materials, or technical execution, for that matter; its all rearranged matter to me. Whether Homo habilis struck a rock, or some Dane wants to name an extruded metal after Leonardo's arse, it's, frankly, immaterial to me.

HOW DOES IT SOUND? The empiric injunctive is listening.

I remember Dertoarm from audiogon 30 yrs ago....yes, we had a discussion on the vagaries of scientific materialism.

I'm sure the "Acoustical Systems Titanium Grand Complication" is very fine is its silver livery, or otherwise.

But I'm waiting for the Acoustical Systems-Titanium-Grand-Complication-Master-Signature-MkIV-Vacuum-Tribble-Ritalin version that been rumored about...maybe the "inventor" will come to my home and demo it, show me a world beyond myself...maybe, oh maybe, we can be audio buds.

Sorry, E, for using you as a foil....you seem like a nice guy,

Reactions: Lagonda
i'm excited to hear how the Primary Control FCL arm might enter that Acoustical System's level. not sure it will.......
Hi Mike L. I've been watching your posts for a couple of months now,

I always like to see all the new nice stuff you find. I'm interested in your opinion of the "Acoustical Systems Titanium Grand Complication," once you find it.

Your opinions, they are very exciting for me; all of the different things.

Have you ever thought about getting off the grid, copper grounding rods....have you heard of Shun Mook Giant Diamond Resonators, I don't mean the flavor-o-the-month Wilson stiuff...

I remember it took you a while to find wire
ASA, Never use me as a foil otherwise I might become Will Smith :)
E.

www.AudioCirc.com
E. and Mike. I was in an awful mood last night. This all sounds rude. Please accept my apologies....Mark

Reactions: Mike Lavigne
Hi Mike L.
hi Mark,
I've been watching your posts for a couple of months now. I always like to see all the new nice stuff you find.
:)
I'm interested in your opinion of the "Acoustical Systems Titanium Grand Complication," once you find it.
doubt my budget can stretch to that arm, i will have to just sit back and enjoy Airbearing's and Mik's feedback. just hope my FCL investigations get into that neighborhood. tone arms are an interesting subject. there are strong opinions about it.
Your opinions, they are very exciting for me; all of the different things.
glad to hear, it's my affliction.
Have you ever thought about getting off the grid, copper grounding rods....have you heard of Shun Mook Giant Diamond Resonators, I don't mean the flavor-o-the-month Wilson stuff...
some love the Shun Mook, i've gone down other roads; Taiko Tana, Taiko Daiza, Equi=tech, Tripoint, Entreq, and now RevOpods and Nordost QRT.

unlike ddk, many of us have a hard time leaving well enough alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobvin and Lagonda
hi Mark,

:)

doubt my budget can stretch to that arm, i will have to just sit back and enjoy Airbearing's and Mik's feedback. just hope my FCL investigations get into that neighborhood. tone arms are an interesting subject. there are strong opinions about it.

glad to hear, it's my affliction.

some love the Shun Mook, i've gone down other roads; Taiko Tana, Taiko Daiza, Equi=tech, Tripoint, Entreq, and now RevOpods and Nordost QRT.

unlike ddk, many of us have a hard time leaving well enough alone.
Hi Mike. Power conditioning, for me, has always been problematic; I never quite find anything I really like. Did the Bybee stuff, Sig and Pro, then did Audio Magic,...don't really like it that much either, but there it sits all these years later. Since last May, I have a new home and, thank God, it has a super low electrical noise floor, so I'm just lucky there (my last 3 homes were horrific). There always seems to be a subtle denuding of harmonic richness, etc. to these conditioners. But, of course, I haven't tried the new ones. Your Nordost QRT caught my eye...here's a story I forgot...30+ yrs ago, I'm 28 or so, and did a stint at TAS. I did the first PC review there and was always looking for stuff to drive people crazy. A nice guy, Bill Stierhout, got a hold of me, or I ran into him somewhere, can't recall, and gave me the next crazy box. I took it home and, jeez, it worked. Very subtle but there (I was running 50W SETs all NOS tubes on Quad 63s at the time, so I could hear pretty deep into the noise floor back then). So, I reviewed the Electraclear box but then, last minute, even after the galleys, mercurial Harry pulls the review. I never asked why, really didn't care, I was about to quit anyway, but then ended up at dinner with Harry in Vegas. He asks me to sit next to him and sheepishly says he's sorry to have pulled the review. He's surprised that I could care less, but then says the reason is because he popped the box open and there was nothing inside! I said, whatever, pass the salt. That review is still in a box somewhere in my basement, or lost, and then I see some years back Nordost, of all people, have grabbed the tech from Bill and stuck it in a new box! I actually think Bill's at it again, the exclusivity clause with Nordost must have tolled....a place callled ADD-Powr. You might want to check it out...I still have a couple Symphony Pros hidden about, one even on my Pioneer Kuro plasma TV...makes a subtle, impossible-to-find-elsewhere, difference, in a good way. Oddlly, though, one only really notices the difference - like a subtle tension is released from the system - until you take it out. A few days later you're just not as interested in your rig as before; put it back in, wait a bit, and back comes the...feeling, like those best late at night listening sessions. Easy to see on my TV, though. Now I'll go back to my denying-that-any-empty-box-can-do-anything mode; it seems to work best at cocktail parties...

Shun Mook GDS are brilliant, though getting rarer and more expensive these days.
OK, here's another one of my silly audionut stories...In the middle of the pandemic, a non-audio guy puts up a slew of M'Pingp discs on audiogon for a song and I grab them. Then my audio-dog mind starts thinking: where there's that, there might be more, right? So, II call him and, sure enough, he's sitting on 2 sets of UDRs and 3 sets of GDRs, selling for another non-audio friend who's estranged dad just died and had a dormant 25yr+ collection of old audio stuff collecting dust. He takes $2500 for all of it on the spot. I held on to the GDRs for a few months on principal, but I have other hobbies too, so sold the GDRs to a nice, advanced enthusiast in Indonesia for $6800, net cash, had the box picked up off my front door. What can I say, I was in a simplifying mode....and, frankly, they'd probably still be sitting in a box waiting...plus I still have my UDRs and SM clamp (early one; black as oil)....but, but...WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND EVER SELLS EARLY GDRs?!

Oh well....

Reactions: BruceD and bonzo75
Not an issue Asa.
we did not fight yet
enjoy
E.

www.AudioCirc.com
E. Just looked at your website. That's the coolest thing I've ever seen. The big Wavacs are drool-inducing. Last year sold my Wavac 805-based monos when I sold the LM field coil 755 speakers...still miss them both. I use an Eames chair too...I wish you lived down the block so I could bribe you into coming over and tuning my TT...

Hi Mike. Power conditioning, for me, has always been problematic; I never quite find anything I really like. Did the Bybee stuff, Sig and Pro, then did Audio Magic,...don't really like it that much either, but there it sits all these years later. Since last May, I have a new home and, thank God, it has a super low electrical noise floor, so I'm just lucky there (my last 3 homes were horrific). There always seems to be a subtle denuding of harmonic richness, etc. to these conditioners. But, of course, I haven't tried the new ones. Your Nordost QRT caught my eye...here's a story I forgot...30+ yrs ago, I'm 28 or so, and did a stint at TAS. I did the first PC review there and was always looking for stuff to drive people crazy. A nice guy, Bill Stierhout, got a hold of me, or I ran into him somewhere, can't recall, and gave me the next crazy box. I took it home and, jeez, it worked. Very subtle but there (I was running 50W SETs all NOS tubes on Quad 63s at the time, so I could hear pretty deep into the noise floor back then). So, I reviewed the Electraclear box but then, last minute, even after the galleys, mercurial Harry pulls the review. I never asked why, really didn't care, I was about to quit anyway, but then ended up at dinner with Harry in Vegas. He asks me to sit next to him and sheepishly says he's sorry to have pulled the review. He's surprised that I could care less, but then says the reason is because he popped the box open and there was nothing inside! I said, whatever, pass the salt. That review is still in a box somewhere in my basement, or lost, and then I see some years back Nordost, of all people, have grabbed the tech from Bill and stuck it in a new box! I actually think Bill's at it again, the exclusivity clause with Nordost must have tolled....a place callled ADD-Powr. You might want to check it out...I still have a couple Symphony Pros hidden about, one even on my Pioneer Kuro plasma TV...makes a subtle, impossible-to-find-elsewhere, difference, in a good way. Oddlly, though, one only really notices the difference - like a subtle tension is released from the system - until you take it out. A few days later you're just not as interested in your rig as before; put it back in, wait a bit, and back comes the...feeling, like those best late at night listening sessions. Easy to see on my TV, though. Now I'll go back to my denying-that-any-empty-box-can-do-anything mode; it seems to work best at cocktail parties...
when it comes to hifi voodoo, there is no "explaining"....there is only listening, then using if you like it. then a month later, pull it out and listen, then back in, and listen, and THEN see if you still like it. all along step back and see if it serves the music, or just the sound.

why things work is besides the point.......many times even the designer does not really know.

SM clamp (early one; black as oil)....but, but...WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND EVER SELLS EARLY GDRs?!

Oh well....
Guilty as stated here-:( sold my set at double what I paid:oops:!

Still have the Record Clamp, relegated to humble paperweight now with no TT currently.

Excellent products IMHO --well proven in the field.

BruceD

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing