VDH Colibri XGW KOA Stradivarius - on the way.

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
So, after some thoughts in to it (ok, not so much...:cool:)
I decided to pull the plug on one to own and avaluate for myself, in my own set up -and hear what everybody raving about.
After Mr Myels astor posts and review (pf) and our own Mr Mike Lavigne posts about his vhd 0.7 he bought and play recently vs his Anna and GFS...
i couldnt resist any more and ordered one.
mine is the "regular" 0.38mv but with the same "new" development and KOA body and laqure Stradivarius Style JA build in the last year.
this cart supposed to be a "super cart" to beat almost everything else out there... (i kidding of course :p).

i have in my belt for now the:
Ortofon Anna
ZYX R1000 AIRY3 SB
Ortofon SPU Synergy (on order)
and also on order the -
VDH Colibri XGW KOA Stradivarius

there some more cart's on my wish list, hope i can get more of them in the near future.

here some pictures of my VDH pictured befor shipping to me;

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

ferrari275

Jan 18, 2018
United States
byrdparis,

After you are acclimated, try the VDH Colibri Stradivarius Signature next, it has the new motor and extender system, its on another level entirely. I currently own many cartridges, most of top tier caliber, and can assure you, its worth the leap especially if you like the Koa Stradivarius character. Another plus is its higher output of 0.07mv. :b

Last edited:

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Hi there.
It is the Stradivarious. Just the 0.38 and not the 0.7...
It is a great cartridge!! I’m enjoying it a lot!

ferrari275

Jan 18, 2018
United States
Sorry for the confusion, its the Signature version you really need to hear next! :)

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Ya I figured after I post after you... that what you meant for.
I was talking to the dealer who sold me the Stradivarious, and asked him about the signature vs the 0.38. He was talked about very suddle changes. And if I want for instance more body and bass I will need to get the African black wood instead of the Stradivarious Koa one (also suddles changed but some..)
But YMMV of course and each with his own. I will be glad to compare them two to hear the differences, but it’s not going to happen I’m afraid :)

bluedoor

Jun 19, 2013
its sure is.
i think im very close to break in period.
its a very very good cart and im happy i bought it and add it to my stable of cartridges.

Next you should try the Colibri Master Signature in African Black Wood (1,1 mV).
It's absolutely stunning.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Today I tried the vdh Colibri Stradivarius (Koa Body, 0,38mv) in my Rigid Float Tonearm (9', metal).
My Stradivarius has seen many different tonearms, but the combination with the Rigid Float Tonearm is stunning.
If anyone is looking for a perfect match with his Colibri, give the Rigid Float a try.

(I will get a Colibri Stradivarius Master Signature African Grenadine Wood with unique 0,9mv in 6 to 8 week, looking forward to that dynamic boom combination) IMG_7237.jpg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I am interested in listening... Always want to hear a vdh well set up.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I am planning for the 16' of June the next "workshop" .
Comparison of DACs and finally against the Stradivarius.
DACs planned are Pacific (if Lampizator can deliver), GG2, Ypsilon DAC 1000 silver edition , BAT REX and some more....

Will be some fun :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Only listening, no buying, haha
In Holland we have a saying , kijken kijken niet kopen

I have bought an atmasphere, a Berning, need to sell them. Bought and sold koetsu coralstone platinum, vdh colibri, SPU a95. Holding on to the Jan Allaerts. Bought almost 10k GBP worth of records this year alone. Multiple thousands in trips. And 50 shows a year or more. Forgive me if I am not like those guys who buy on reading on forums and then say what I own is the best till I sell it off.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I am planning for the 16' of June the next "workshop" .
Comparison of DACs and finally against the Stradivarius.
DACs planned are Pacific (if Lampizator can deliver), GG2, Ypsilon DAC 1000 silver edition , BAT REX and some more....

Will be some fun :)

Ah no, have a family wedding then. Will try next workshop.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
@Bonzo

You get married?

Tell me when you get married,i do good gift to you

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
@Bonzo

You get married?

Tell me when you get married,i do good gift to you

Lol not me. Someone in the family. Though if guys like you and Tang start making gifts I will get married as many times as required.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
(I will get a Colibri Stradivarius Master Signature African Grenadine Wood with unique 0,9mv in 6 to 8 week, looking forward to that dynamic boom combination)

Dear Shakti,

The model name of this manufacturer is very confusing to me. Have you received this Strad Master Signature? How does it sound? Ddk is bringing me the Colibri Master Signature next Tuesday. I don’t know if this is the same one as you were mentioning since the output level isn’t the same as ddk told me. He thought the sound is really good. Some aspects are in the same league as his Neumann.

Kind regards,
Tang

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing