Downsizing - Speaker recommendations

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
So I am the happy and proud owner of the evolution acoustics MM3, but I see a significant downsizing of living space on the horizon and will need to downsize my speakers accordingly. Last year I tried the JBL 4367 but frankly they did not make the cut on the acoustic, small ensemble type music I am listening too mostly. I am going to try another pair or two in 2018 and am intersted in recommendations for smaller footprint speakers. To give you a flavor of my preference, I was very impressed with the Magico S3 MKII at a show, loved the Giya at a show as well. Never cared much for Wilsons, loved my Avalon Eidolons. Any recommendations of speakers you think I should listen to? If nothing works out, I'll hold on to the MM3's until I actually move, but I would much prefer to downsize my system earlier.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
For acoustic small ensemble stats on valves are hard to beat. Try stacked quads

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
The Magico S3 Mk IIs definitely have the small footprint, and the sealed enclosure design gives some flexibility in speaker placement. Love mine.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Have you listened to YG speakers?
Mine (Kipod Signature passives) are very good with chamber music and the very recent HiFi Plus review of the Sonja 2.2s clearly indicates they are outstanding. Their less expensive models like the Haileys would in my view be very worthy of audition.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
If I had the cash I would buy the vivid G4. Great for a smaller space. I want a pair, but it's not in the cards for some time.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Have you listened to YG speakers?
Mine (Kipod Signature passives) are very good with chamber music and the very recent HiFi Plus review of the Sonja 2.2s clearly indicates they are outstanding. Their less expensive models like the Haileys would in my view be very worthy of audition.

I know the guys at MSB absolutely love the YG's. I love the sealed ribbon tweeter in Raidho D3.1's for acoustical music but I have been told I have water in my ears.

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
So I am the happy and proud owner of the evolution acoustics MM3, but I see a significant downsizing of living space on the horizon and will need to downsize my speakers accordingly. Last year I tried the JBL 4367 but frankly they did not make the cut on the acoustic, small ensemble type music I am listening too mostly. I am going to try another pair or two in 2018 and am intersted in recommendations for smaller footprint speakers. To give you a flavor of my preference, I was very impressed with the Magico S3 MKII at a show, loved the Giya at a show as well. Never cared much for Wilsons, loved my Avalon Eidolons. Any recommendations of speakers you think I should listen to? If nothing works out, I'll hold on to the MM3's until I actually move, but I would much prefer to downsize my system earlier.

How large will the new space be? In my room of 24 x 12 x 8.5 feet I am very happy with a monitor/sub combo, with monitors now being Reference 3A Reflector, sub my trusted REL Storm III. Works wonderfully on acoustic, small ensemble type music, but also on rock (really) and larger ensembles, e.g. 20 players. A bit limited for large-scale orchestral music, but still very good. I play small ensemble/jazz at about 90-94 dBA peaks, orchestral around 95 dBA (ca. 100 dB) peaks, rock fluctuating around 90 dBA.

Incredible resolution (on the Octave amp that I plan to buy), marvelous soundstage, great, tight bass (very good mid-bass for rock, too), fantastic dynamics and presence of players in the room.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
In such conditions for this type of music I would consider an used old B&W Silver Signature SS25.

https://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/272/index.html

I still keep a mint pair just for the case I ever need downsizing. BTW, they are true 8 ohm speakers, excellent for tubes (also think OTLs :)), a rare characteristics nowadays.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
BTW, they are true 8 ohm speakers, excellent for tubes (also think OTLs :)), a rare characteristics nowadays.

So are the Reference 3A Reflector, and with a sensitivity of 92 dB to boot (the B&W Silver Signature SS25 have a a sensitivity of 88 dB). Not that it matters, the Octave R320 tube amp (or the Octave MRE220 monoblocks) that I plan to buy can drive difficult loads. But the Reference 3A have been reported to be comfortably driven by SET amps of <10 W/ch (they certainly fare well with my current 15 W/ch triode push-pull amps).

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom
If you loved the Eidolons....then consider the PM4.

at 49"x 12" x 17" (HxWxD)....would have thought consistent with small to medium size rooms.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Tad CR1s with a pair of JL Audio F112 subs + the JL Audio CR1 crossover for a 3 1/2 way and adjustable low frequencies.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I have had TAD, YG Acoustic, Salk and other speakers in my exhibit rooms at shows for 12 years. I finally found a small speaker that beats them all:

Vapor Audio Cirrus Black:

http://www.vaporsound.com/speakers/cirrus-black/

Even though these are 2-way stand-mounted, they beat the bass on most 3-ways. Very fast too. Vocals sound very live. They are around $8K depending on finish. Lots of custom finishes available. Vapors are the flattest response speakers I have encountered, and they only use the very best drivers and crossover parts.

Another good speaker is certain models of Focal.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I have had TAD, YG Acoustic, Salk and other speakers in my exhibit rooms at shows for 12 years. I finally found a small speaker that beats them all:

Vapor Audio Cirrus Black:

http://www.vaporsound.com/speakers/cirrus-black/

Even though these are 2-way stand-mounted, they beat the bass on most 3-ways. Very fast too. Vocals sound very live. They are around $8K depending on finish. Lots of custom finishes available. Vapors are the flattest response speakers I have encountered, and they only use the very best drivers and crossover parts.

Another good speaker is certain models of Focal.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

I heard Vapor Audio at RMAF a few years back. IMO, meh... At the same show were the TAD E1s which were just much more coherant, accurate and musical. Just another opinion...

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
People who like Magico tend not to like Rockport so this is a long-shot -- but I nominate the Rockport Atria.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing