Wilson + MSB in Encore Performance at Alma!

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
[FONT=&quot]Well, people had such a blast during our initial launch event with Wilson Audio’s Peter McGrath that we really had to invite him back for an encore performance! This time, he’ll go over the differences between the entry-level Sabrina, and the more elaborate models, like the Alexia 2. Of course, Peter’s great music selection will also feature prominently. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]And since MSB’s Vince Galbo always has exciting new stuff to present, we’re also bringing him back, as well as his awesome MSB amps and DACs![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]It’s all happening Friday, January 19th, from 5 to 8pm. If you haven’t yet, come see our new location, and enjoy another amazing evening in the company some of the best people and gear in all of high-end audio![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Adobe Spark-6.jpg [/FONT]

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hahaha! No problem, Dave :)
Maybe if we can get other local folks to attend, they can listen and post their impressions too...

cheers,
alex

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Warming up the engines, with MQA of course :)

IMG_0352.jpg IMG_0349.jpg

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
Alex,
Looks like a fun event! Is that the Ref Dac with the Femto 33 clock? Is Vince bringing the Ref transport as well. I had them both at home for a few days and really liked the sound going direct to amps but the new Nagra pre still has me on the hook.

Happy New Year,
Dave

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Alex,
Looks like a fun event! Is that the Ref Dac with the Femto 33 clock? Is Vince bringing the Ref transport as well. I had them both at home for a few days and really liked the sound going direct to amps but the new Nagra pre still has me on the hook.

Happy New Year,
Dave

Hi Dave!

No, that's MSB SELECT with mono power bases, and Femto 33 clock :) AKA, "the works"!
Unfortunately the only MSB Reference transport had to be sent to Japan, so we won't have it for this event. I'm very curious myself, but the factory is actually ramping up production, so they'll have more units in a few weeks, and we'll get one then...
As for the preamp, the Nagra system at CES (with YG, that I know well), was extremely impressive, so I don't doubt that preamp is somewhat special. But that $60k... Might be better used towards a SELECT... Just sayin'... :)

cheers,
alex

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
Yes, I really want hear the select at home. I had a chance over the holidays but couldn't make it happen. The Nagra pre is significantly more than I anticipated but if it performs on the same level as the amps, it will be hard to pass up. I've heard its something special. I'll hear it in the next few weeks hopefully. Enjoy the event, always interested to hear what Peter plays.

Dave

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
+1 on the Select II 'Full Meal Deal'.....worth hearing!!!

Mike,
I really liked what I heard from a maxed out Ref Dac but at the price, its getting pretty close to the Selcet II. I think its in my future but I'd like to compare the pre and the dac in my system to see where I go. You are one of the few that I know of that use a pre with the select II which believe I would prefer but I'll need to get back to work to make that happen.

Dave

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Mike,
I really liked what I heard from a maxed out Ref Dac but at the price, its getting pretty close to the Selcet II. I think its in my future but I'd like to compare the pre and the dac in my system to see where I go. You are one of the few that I know of that use a pre with the select II which believe I would prefer but I'll need to get back to work to make that happen.

Dave

Will be checking out whether the Reference Dac can replace my Soulution 721 in a few weeks. The 501's are hard to drive with 2000 ohm input impedance so it will be interesting.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike,

Dave

Dave,

I heard the new Nagra HD pre at RMAF, hard to know it's contribution in a show system, but all I read about it is very positive. would it surpass the Select II preamp? i'd guess that is 'whole system' dependent. the darTZeel design ethos of minimal signal path bits and battery power shares much in common with the MSB 'less is more' circuit approach, which maybe is why the dart takes the Select II a bit farther than most other pre's might.

the dart pre matched the fantastic transparency of the MSB pre, and added more authority, body and drive.....the MSB pre was not lacking in those areas either.....just not quite up to the dart. the surprise was how well the MSB passive pre drove the dart mono blocks direct with 8 meter 'zeel' interconnects. it was very fine sounding. just that with the dart pre it was a little better.

my guess is most active pre's are left wanting on the transparency side of things (directly compared to the Select II passive pre) so it becomes at best a trade-off. and if you are stepping up to Select II performance you are not going to choose to dumb down the astonishing transparency part of things.

Mike

Last edited:

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
Dave,

I heard the new Nagra HD pre at RMAF, hard to know it's contribution in a show system, but all I read about it is very positive. would it surpass the Select II preamp? i'd guess that is 'whole system' dependent. the darTZeel design ethos of minimal signal path bits and battery power shares much in common with the MSB 'less is more' circuit approach, which maybe is why the dart takes the Select II a bit farther than most other pre's might.

the dart pre matched the fantastic transparency of the MSB pre, and added more authority, body and drive.....the MSB pre was not lacking in those areas either.....just not quite up to the dart. the surprise was how well the MSB passive pre drove the dart mono blocks direct with 8 meter 'zeel' interconnects. it was very fine sounding. just that with the dart pre it was a little better.

my guess is most active pre's are left wanting on the transparency side of things (directly compared to the Select II passive pre) so it becomes at best a trade-off. and if you are stepping up to Select II performance you are not going to choose to dumb down the astonishing transparency part of things.

Mike

Mike,
I agree with everything you mentioned about the Select. I have only heard the Ref dac but assume the Select takes everything a bit further. I did love the transparency going direct but wonder if the HD pre would add a little more meat on the bone. I'm not too technie but I believe Nagra is using supercaps in place of batteries and if I remember, is said to be the quietest component they have measured. The Ref Dac also had a really low noise floor in my system which for me is a priority. I doubt I will be able to hear the Select II and HD pre together, so one will be a leap of faith if I go that route. Plus I'm running out of rack space to put all these boxes. I may send you a PM in a couple weeks when Miguel sends me the Elite. Can't wait for that!

Dave

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
Alex,
Congrats on another great show. Nice write-up!

Dave

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Thanks, Dave!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing