Gryphon Audio Pendragon

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
250hz gives you 4 feet of wavelength for room to move. The thing about that is it's center to center of the drivers, and the main baffle is wide. The tower drivers are in the center. (I know you know that Gary, just working it out for others)

Sadly, I was going to calculate this out but the internet no longer provides dimensions. Kind of a pain that they are NOT in the manual... Considering their size, it would be very nice to be able to plan ahead. They use to be on the net, as I calculated them out once for width of a room...

The big thing - to me - is that middle-C is about 260Hz. Hence, I will place the woofers on one side, the midrange in the middle, and the high frequencies on the other side. Just like most stringed instruments are set-up. I have never found a musical instrument where the high frequency resonators are between the bass and the midrange........

PKN

Aug 22, 2016
Indonesia
awesome set-up!!!!
love the black acoustic panels. are they made of bits of wood, or foam?

Those acoustic panels are wooden frames with Rockwool inside them. there are a total of 4 present in the room, they are triangular in shape, so even though they look flat from the front, they actually contain a large volume of wool, at the deepest point these are about 3 foot, and 9 foot high.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I'd like to thank Gary Koh for his very well written "Genesis Loudspeaker Set Up Procedure" manual found on the Genesis website in the Support section. In it, he shares a number of excellent speaker positioning tips and he provides specific music selections for proper setup. It tells you what to listen for, and what adjustments to make, to get the best sound. As he notes, the advice is useful even if you don't own Genesis loudspeakers, but it doesn't hurt if you own any dipole planars with subwoofer towers. You can tell a lot of work went into this and that Gary's a very perceptive listener (no surprise there).

Oh, i'm not a customer but maybe I should be:)

You are most welcome, Barry.

Just in case anyone else might benefit from this - here it is. We updated the website a couple of weeks ago, and the old links on this forum might be outdated.

http://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/support/white-papers-newsletters/

Reactions: kkfan
Wow!!
Stunning!
Congratulations!

I was under the impression that the Pendragon was discontinued. Is that not the case?

I am afraid yes, Ron Resnick bought the last pair that Gryphon manufactured.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I thought that too originally, but I think the actual last pair was manufactured for a client in Indonesia who is a member here.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
I am afraid yes, Ron Resnick bought the last pair that Gryphon manufactured.

Thanks to PKN for the original photos....beautiful home, neighborhood and of course speakers!

Ron: You must be very, very excited; they look amazing!!!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I hope to see mine someday. Maybe the end of this year.

PKN

Aug 22, 2016
Indonesia
I thought that too originally, but I think the actual last pair was manufactured for a client in Indonesia who is a member here.

Yours were possibly the last pair though, as mentioned earlier ours were the last pair from an overseas dealer.

We'll be moving the whole setup coming June, he's moving home so we'll be packing them back up sometime soon. in related news, the Gryphon Mephisto and the pre-amp have been sold and replaced with CH precision pre-amp and power amp. So the whole setup will be CH precision. (the pre and power amp won't be removed from their crates until everything is moved over)

Cheers.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
A-ha! Philip is correct and I was wrong. Sorry about that.

Congratulations on the CH Precision, and best of luck with the move!

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Ron here is a pair in Australia--I have contacted him to see if he would like to chat with you/etc

Will advise

BruceD

Gryphon Pen.jpg

Reactions: Chanc95

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you very much, Bruce. I already wrote an e-mail to him!

This looks like a huge room!

I think I spy Gryphon electronics and MSB boxes?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Wow, I had never hear of these speakers before - they look incredible. If they sound anywhere as good, Ron is one lucky guy...

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
On paper they are my favorite technical design of all time. If I were to describe my ideal speaker design the Pendragon is it.

Time will tell if I can make them sound as good as they look. I am going to attempt to "hatch" the system in one go; we will see (ah, hear) how it all comes together. I am looking forward to lots of critiques and suggestions from WBF members!

I am pretty happy and comfortable with the current equipment list. My Pendragons are still in storage. I have seen only the crates.

In the meantime I have been playing with blue masking tape on the floor of the listening room, sketching out "Rule of Thirds" versus Cardas Dipole Speaker configurations of front wall-to-speaker and speaker-to-listener distances. (The "Rule of Thirds" places the speakers just a foot closer to the front wall and places the listener three feet further from the rear wall than does the Cardas Dipole Speaker formula.)

So I have a decent idea of where I am going to position the speakers to start with. Then I can spend the rest of my life fine-tuning the system. (After visiting Mike I will be starting with a configuration that situates the listening position closer to the speakers than I would have considered previously.)

Essentially I think Flemming tried to update and simplify the concept of the Infinity IRS V.

As a matter of loudspeaker anthropology I personally think it is fascinating to understand the Infinity IRS V, and then to think about how Gary has evolved the big Genesis over time, and to think about the differences and similarities between the Pendragon and the Genesis 1.1/Prime/Dragon.

(Both Flemming and Gary have very strong (and, to me, extremely interesting) opinions about the various design differences between the Pendragon and the Genesis 1.1/Prime/Dragon.)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It's all digital, elevator music. There is no serious analog rig for true addicts on a mission.

Easy, Bob, easy. To each his own. Ours is a subjective hobby, and all preferences are valid.

Many of our digital-only members are true audiophile addicts on missions! (LL21 comes to mind! :))

Reactions: kkfan

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Sheesh Bob Elevator Music!!:mad:

--Oh --I just read your anecdote OK joke accepted--its just I know the owner and he may give me a razz for posting his room here

I hope he sees the "joke" too:rolleyes:

BruceD

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Easy, Bob, easy. To each his own. Ours is a subjective hobby, and all preferences are valid.

Many of our digital-only members are true audiophile addicts on missions! (LL21 comes to mind! :))

;) Bob is as good natured as they come and no offense taken here. And it is true...i chose to put all my efforts into the best digital i could (rather than split resources into tape, LP, digital) and part of that was avoiding the complete dedication required for great LP playback. That keeps me in the on-a-mission camp...but only within the less-than-on-a-mission parameters i set out for myself (and have maintained all these years).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing