Review: Wilson Alexia Series 2

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Thanks Tim

I have that review

Interesting about platforms

DDK says no to stands, for the Lamm what do u use?

My treble is superb so very happy with that....

I am really glad I saw your review big help to me in my decision making...on my Alexia’s

Thanks - I truly appreciate the kind words.

I went from 1" oak cutting boards to 3" thick oak, to Mondo Designs amp stands (thick floating plinth on sorbothane pucks within maple frame) to that same stand with the amps on Stillpoints UltraSS, to SRA Ohio-Class XL+² platforms. Currently they're on the SRA Virginia-Class platforms which are here for review.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Currently they're on the SRA Virginia-Class platforms which are here for review.
That’s great Tim! Looking forward to read it.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I don't like Stravinsky's big pieces. They sound like Dolby effects for mission impossible type movies. His small ones are better. Of the two later Russian composers I prefer Shostakovich much more, big or small.

I love both composers, but they are very different, Shostakovich is sentimental which Stravinsky never is, agree Stravinsky big ballets are ...big, but when you actually see the ballets performed to the music, it changes the context from a concert piece

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I love both composers, but they are very different, Shostakovich is sentimental which Stravinsky never is, agree Stravinsky big ballets are ...big, but when you actually see the ballets performed to the music, it changes the context from a concert piece

Yes watching the ballet can be different. I have heard those at barbican with the LSO without the ballet. Will try to catch the ballet at opera house sometime

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
Thanks - I truly appreciate the kind words.

I went from 1" oak cutting boards to 3" thick oak, to Mondo Designs amp stands (thick floating plinth on sorbothane pucks within maple frame) to that same stand with the amps on Stillpoints UltraSS, to SRA Ohio-Class XL+² platforms. Currently they're on the SRA Virginia-Class platforms which are here for review.

Hi Tima,
I am considering SRA platforms for my Nagra HD amps and am deciding between Ohio XL2 and Virginia Class both of which you have experience. Can't wait to read about them!

Dave

TommyTunes

Jan 16, 2012
Alpharetta
I received my Alexia 2’s back in May replacing the original Alexia’s. While they sounded ok, I thought that bass was weaker and in general they lacked some of the dynamics of the originals. I was using an ARC GS150 which was a good match with the original Alexia’s.
Recently I switched amps to Pass XA100.8’s that was the missing piece.
Not only was bass restored being tighter and better defined but they overall soundstage layering is better rendered. I added Cardas Clear Beyond power cables to the amps and preamp which further enhanced the clarity.

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
Interesting-so perhaps not easier to drive than the Alexia 1 speaker as has been suggested in some media reports.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Interesting-so perhaps not easier to drive than the Alexia 1 speaker as has been suggested in some media reports.

By the specs, yes, a little bit easier. I don't think the difference is such that it changes the choice of amps. Sonically, the Series 2 seems a tad more at ease. With other sonic attributes its almost a different speaker from the original, or different enough that there's no going back.

Reactions: Lee

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I received my Alexia 2’s back in May replacing the original Alexia’s. While they sounded ok, I thought that bass was weaker and in general they lacked some of the dynamics of the originals. I was using an ARC GS150 which was a good match with the original Alexia’s.
Recently I switched amps to Pass XA100.8’s that was the missing piece.
Not only was bass restored being tighter and better defined but they overall soundstage layering is better rendered. I added Cardas Clear Beyond power cables to the amps and preamp which further enhanced the clarity.

Congrats on your new Alexias!

I haven't heard the GS150. I know the ARC Ref 250/250SEs are real sweeties with either. The Series 2 will tell you more about what's upstream.

Wrt tonality, dynamics, mid- and low bass and the psychoacoustic stuff (soundstage W/D/H, layering, dimensionality, etc.) I found the Series 2 easily superior in articulation, definition and focus. Partly thanks to seriously improved coherence which itself partly comes from finer-grained tweeter adjustment - any attribute that is a function of proper timing shows real improvement. And all that has a direct relation to the quality of your source signal. imo, etc etc.

romaz

Oct 7, 2015
I just received my new Alexia Series 2 a couple of weeks ago. I know some consider Wilson speakers to be ugly but my wife and I just love how these look in our large rusticly appointed living room and the fit and finish (titanium brown with extra flake) are second to none. They replaced a pair of Martin Logan Renaissance 15A electrostats and so these speakers look small in comparison. Straight out of the crates and driven by my Soulution 511 amp, the Alexias were sounding thin and bright. The bass was not there...yet. These speakers began to open up after the first 24 hours and even more after 100 hours. It was clear, even at this early juncture, these were higher resolution speakers than my Martin Logan electrostats. Just loads and loads of detail layers. Electrostats are known for their speed and transparency yet the Alexias appear just as fast if not more transparent. The curved Martin Logan dipoles create this giant image and an enhanced sense of ambience to the sound, however, it is at the compromise of image focus and detail clarity. The Alexias create a much more defined soundstage, an incredibly palpable image, and superior detail articulation. And this superior detail articulation applies across the spectrum, from the bass to the all important midrange and to the treble. Despite the active class D-powered subs used in the Martin Logan Renaissance, the bass response of the Alexias are superior and much more satisfying. They extend lower, are much better defined, and actually have more slam although this has as much to do with the Soulution 511 which has a damping factor of 10,000 and peak transient capabilities up to 3,000 watts. The Alexias also impart better textural information, from the raspiness of an organ to the raspiness of Rod Stewart's voice, these do delicacy and nuance incredibly well, even at low volumes.

I will want to try other amps to see if there is something I prefer more than the Soulution and I am particularly interested in the Luxman M-900u or possibly something from T+A. I know I don't want a class A oven. I am also not a fan of tubes with the Alexias as the control is not there. I was not that impressed with a pair of Merrill Veritas monoblocks. Dynamics were there but they were flat sounding. I purchased the Soulution in anticipation of buying a pair of Magicos since so many have suggested they pair perfectly. Unfortunately, I found the S5 Mk2 to have an overly sterile quality in my room. Tight and clean and resolving but lacking in emotion. Also, bass heft was lacking. The M3 had more of the midrange and treble sweetness I was looking for but even less bass. In my large room, there was no way to use the M3s without subwoofers and so this was a nonstarter. Thus far, the Alexia 2s are nailing it.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I just received my new Alexia Series 2 a couple of weeks ago. I know some consider Wilson speakers to be ugly but my wife and I just love how these look in our large rusticly appointed living room and the fit and finish (titanium brown with extra flake) are second to none. They replaced a pair of Martin Logan Renaissance 15A electrostats and so these speakers look small in comparison. Straight out of the crates and driven by my Soulution 511 amp, the Alexias were sounding thin and bright. The bass was not there...yet. These speakers began to open up after the first 24 hours and even more after 100 hours. It was clear, even at this early juncture, these were higher resolution speakers than my Martin Logan electrostats. Just loads and loads of detail layers. Electrostats are known for their speed and transparency yet the Alexias appear just as fast if not more transparent. The curved Martin Logan dipoles create this giant image and an enhanced sense of ambience to the sound, however, it is at the compromise of image focus and detail clarity. The Alexias create a much more defined soundstage, an incredibly palpable image, and superior detail articulation. And this superior detail articulation applies across the spectrum, from the bass to the all important midrange and to the treble. Despite the active class D-powered subs used in the Martin Logan Renaissance, the bass response of the Alexias are superior and much more satisfying. They extend lower, are much better defined, and actually have more slam although this has as much to do with the Soulution 511 which has a damping factor of 10,000 and peak transient capabilities up to 3,000 watts. The Alexias also impart better textural information, from the raspiness of an organ to the raspiness of Rod Stewart's voice, these do delicacy and nuance incredibly well, even at low volumes.

I will want to try other amps to see if there is something I prefer more than the Soulution and I am particularly interested in the Luxman M-900u or possibly something from T+A. I know I don't want a class A oven. I am also not a fan of tubes with the Alexias as the control is not there. I was not that impressed with a pair of Merrill Veritas monoblocks. Dynamics were there but they were flat sounding. I purchased the Soulution in anticipation of buying a pair of Magicos since so many have suggested they pair perfectly. Unfortunately, I found the S5 Mk2 to have an overly sterile quality in my room. Tight and clean and resolving but lacking in emotion. Also, bass heft was lacking. The M3 had more of the midrange and treble sweetness I was looking for but even less bass. In my large room, there was no way to use the M3s without subwoofers and so this was a nonstarter. Thus far, the Alexia 2s are nailing it.

Thanks for a very nice report, romaz. Tube amps such as the ARC Ref 250SE may not have quite the grip of a Soulution; but they will bring their own positive attributes. Might be worth a listen.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States

I wonder what you are hoping to gain with another amp other than the 511? If it's bass performance, I think you are already at the top of the totem pole with the 511. I currently use a pair of 511 monoblocs with my Wilson Alexandrias which has unleashed their bass capabilities in a way that my Spectral 400s did not. If you are looking for some real magic, you might consider pairing the 511 with one of the many superb tube preamps out there such as CJ, ARC, VTL BAT and Lamm (if you can live without remote control). My VTL 7.5 III is a lovely match for the 511s but wonderful tube preamps can be had for far less money. A tube pre plus the 511s make a very compelling battery. I heard the Alexia 2's at Alma Music in San Diego a while ago with an ARC preamp and D'Agostino amps and thought the sound was excellent.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Fantastic and congrats. Agree with Marty about Tube Pre/SS Amp...a combination I have used for over 10 years now with no desire to change. Your speakers will respond to as much good quality current as you throw at it. I have not spent too much time with your Soulutions, but they are pretty serious amps so choose carefully. Not much will be a definitive upgrade. D'Agostinos are a good option though I cannot say if it would be a definitive upgrade or simple an alternative. I am partial to Class A SS myself, but recognize it is not something you wish to pursue.

By the way, I think you may find relative to your MLs that the 'body' of the notes/artists becomes much denser, solid which is a lot of fun and a very different (and for me, great) experience. Enjoy getting to know your tremendous speakers.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
When I first got my Alexia 2s, my wife said, "they kinda look like robots!". However, recently we had guests over and she said she liked the sculpted design on the side and that helped her warm up to them.

redandgold

Jun 3, 2018

The good news are: your speakers will get even better and better! The first 100-200 hours the different drivers burnt in in different time. Especially the bass modules needed some time to do the best. After 200 yours the coherence of the drivers doesn‘t variate so much more. But the musicality, refinement and fine dynamics are developping. With my Alexia Series 1 it took 700-800 hours to not get better.

Your color choice is great in my opinion. I choose titanium brown and never regretted. Elegant looking, fitting with wood or stone floors or walls, good compromise between reduced colors like black or silver and shiny colors like orange.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Congratulations! I've had mine for about a year or so and love them. Upgraded from series 1 which was no slouch. But these really nail it for me and present a lighter load to my amps. Everything just gels so nicely. And it seems all aspects have been improved.

As for amps to power these, it's likely more a matter of taste than challenge. Given the speakers are not presenting a difficult load, it becomes more a matter of absolute control and speed rather than current delivery, I think. Your 511 amp sounds as if it does this already, quite nicely.

TommyTunes

Jan 16, 2012
Alpharetta
Fantastic and congrats. Agree with Marty about Tube Pre/SS Amp...a combination I have used for over 10 years now with no desire to change. Your speakers will respond to as much good quality current as you throw at it. I have not spent too much time with your Soulutions, but they are pretty serious amps so choose carefully. Not much will be a definitive upgrade. D'Agostinos are a good option though I cannot say if it would be a definitive upgrade or simple an alternative. I am partial to Class A SS myself, but recognize it is not something you wish to pursue.

By the way, I think you may find relative to your MLs that the 'body' of the notes/artists becomes much denser, solid which is a lot of fun and a very different (and for me, great) experience. Enjoy getting to know your tremendous speakers.

Fully agree, when I first got the 2’s I was running them witha GS150 and it did not control the speaker. I switched to a Ref 6 with Pass X100.8’s and hit the magic spot

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
II will want to try other amps to see if there is something I prefer more than the Soulution and I am particularly interested in the Luxman M-900u or possibly something from T+A. I know I don't want a class A oven. I am also not a fan of tubes with the Alexias as the control is not there. I was not that impressed with a pair of Merrill Veritas monoblocks. Dynamics were there but they were flat sounding. I purchased the Soulution in anticipation of buying a pair of Magicos since so many have suggested they pair perfectly. Unfortunately, I found the S5 Mk2 to have an overly sterile quality in my room. Tight and clean and resolving but lacking in emotion. Also, bass heft was lacking. The M3 had more of the midrange and treble sweetness I was looking for but even less bass. In my large room, there was no way to use the M3s without subwoofers and so this was a nonstarter. Thus far, the Alexia 2s are nailing it.

They sound particularly excellent with Ref160 monoblocks from Audio Research. Warren Gehl at ARC is using Alexia's in his listening room and Wilson often pairs them with Ref160s at shows. Dynamics are particularly excellent.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing