Ortofon SPU WOOD? any users?

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
When I had the Schick 12" G-type, I tried SPU-AE with and without adaptor (if you read Stereophile Schick review, there is an alternative p-to-s distance that allows Schick 12" G-type to be used with SPU-As without having to use adaptor). Without the adaptor + new p-to-s distance, the alignment is spot on. Still, I preferred the sound with adaptor.

F456GTM

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2015
Pinecrest, FL
Chaps,

I have a chance to buy a new Ortofon RMG-212i. The owner never used it, it is in the box and comes without a headshell. He believes that this arm is exclusively for the SPU-G [Ortofon G type cartridge]. Would it be possible to use another cartridge such as the Audio Technica AT33PTG?/II?

Cheers,

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
When I had the Schick 12" G-type, I tried SPU-AE with and without adaptor (if you read Stereophile Schick review, there is an alternative p-to-s distance that allows Schick 12" G-type to be used with SPU-As without having to use adaptor). Without the adaptor + new p-to-s distance, the alignment is spot on. Still, I preferred the sound with adaptor.
You have the Schick. May be you can lend me to try some day.

McDee275

Nov 4, 2021
Germany
In November 2021 I believed the race for better sound quality was over. Wow, what a big mistake.

Earlier this year, I changed my player and tonearm for good to give my Ortofon SPU Wood A a better match.

I could buy for a reasonable price a 2nd hand Lenco L75 together with the PTP6 update already included.
Tonearm is a GrooveMaster III 12" especially made to fit the Ortofon SPU A series.

20220508_114751 kl (3).jpg

Shuggie

Sep 9, 2020
UK
ammonite-audio.co.uk
The SPU Wood A is my favorite cartridge. It's easy to criticize in terms of so-so detail retrieval and tracking performance, but for tonal color and sheer musical expression it's sublime - one of the ultimate 'anti-HiFi' products that really does major on the music, rather than just 'sounds'. The GrooveMaster is an excellent partner.

Reactions: McDee275 and Petrat

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
The SPU Wood A is my favorite cartridge. It's easy to criticize in terms of so-so detail retrieval and tracking performance, but for tonal color and sheer musical expression it's sublime - one of the ultimate 'anti-HiFi' products that really does major on the music, rather than just 'sounds'. The GrooveMaster is an excellent partner.
Too bad it’s been discontinued.

McDee275

Nov 4, 2021
Germany
Yes, pity. :(

But OK, as long as they replace stylus and generator in Denmark I am fine with it.

I used before the SPU #1-E with nearly identical technical datas but why the wood sound so much better?

Shuggie

Sep 9, 2020
UK
ammonite-audio.co.uk
The difference is almost certainly down to a combination of materials - the lacquered beech wood shell is very sturdy compared to a 'G' shell, the coil wiring is different, the damper specification is certainly different, and I would not be surprised if the magnet is some old-fashioned alnico affair. Given that the Wood A was possibly aimed largely at the Japanese market, I also wonder if it was inspired by Shindo SPUs (which I've never heard).

Anyway, the Wood A is certainly flawed and most audiophiles hearing one straight after a modern MC cartridge would probably sniff and turn away, but for those willing to listen, it plays music like nothing else.

Reactions: mtemur and McDee275

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing