My favorite 2017 Jazz Albums

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Wow! We are truly living in a golden age of jazz. Many great releases this year....

Billy Childs "Rebirth"
Great quintet recording from pianist/composer

Anat Cohen Tenent "Happy Song"
This LP will definitely make you feel happy. My favorite is "Anat's Dolina"

Anat Cohen & Marcello Goncalves "Outra Coisa" (vinyl)
Excellent duo LP of clarinet and 7-string guitar. Homage to Moacir Santos. Excellent sonics.

Avishai Cohen "Cross My Palm with Silver" (vinyl)
One of the year's features his signature "noir" sound. Outstanding sonics on this 180 gm release.

Chano Dominguez "Over The Rainbow"
Live solo piano. My favorites are the title song and "Django"

Jimmy Greene "Flowers"
Part II of his elegy for his daughter Ana who was killed at Sandy Hook. A beautiful record.

Louis Hayes "Serenade For Horace"
The drummer on many of Horace Silver's seminal Blue Note releases pays homage to his mentor. Highlight is Gregory Porter's vocals on "Song For My Father"

Sherman Irby "Cerulean Canvas"
JLCO vet with guest appearance by Wynton Marsalis. Excellent modern straight ahead jazz

Vijay Iyer "Far From Over" (vinyl)
Featuring his current sextet playing excellent compositions. Great sonics.

Christian McBride Big Band "Bringing It" (vinyl)
Double LP by the always excellent bassist. Don't miss him live.

Cecile McClorin Salvant "Dreams and Daggers" (vinyl)
On her second release, the vocalist builds on her current live repertoire. Amazing sonics.

Thelonious Monk "Les Liaisons Dangereuses" (vinyl)
Monk at the height of powers. Never before release recordings that were to serve as the movie soundtrack. Great sonics by Kevin Gray and QRP.

Stanton Moore "With You In Mind" (vinyl)
Tribute to Allen Touissaint featuring many of New Orlean's heavy hitter. Great sonics.

Steve Nelson
"Brothers Under The Sun"
Homage to his friend the late Mulgrew Miller. One of the year's best and a fantastic recording to boot!

New Orleans Swamp Donkeys
"Slightly Concussed"
True to the label "Traditional Jass Band". Live 2 CD set rips through standards and a great rendition of the Game of Thrones theme. Killer sonics.

Jeremy Pelt "Make Noise"
Another excellent release by one of the best trumpeters out there.

Preservation Hall Jazz Band "So It Is" (vinyl)
Not your fathers PHJB, reborn with younger players and more modern sound while maintaining their New Orleans' roots. Well recorded.

Reactions: cpvniii

Migo

Aug 10, 2013
Great list I will check out your suggestions. Thanks for posting.

asindc

Sep 27, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve been getting into more contemporary classic jazz artists lately.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

APP

Oct 1, 2014
The one most played here is this household has definitely been Carmen Gomes, also because it's the one everybody can agree on, the wife and the kids...:)
But it is a great album.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
He played one show in the Met in NYC this January. I was tempted to fly out and go see him -you never know what will be his last. Regrettably, I did not execute.

Migo

Aug 10, 2013
The one most played here is this household has definitely been Carmen Gomes, also because it's the one everybody can agree on, the wife and the kids...:)
But it is a great album.

I was talking with a friend(no audiophile but big music fan) who records everything he listens to with his iphone and insists that the SQ is more than sufficient. Well I stumbled upon this recording from the actual concert of the above album and I can't wait to let him compare the 2 recordings:D

APP

Oct 1, 2014
I was talking with a friend(no audiophile but big music fan) who records everything he listens to with his iphone and insists that the SQ is more than sufficient. Well I stumbled upon this recording from the actual concert of the above album and I can't wait to let him compare the 2 recordings:D

:D and what was his reaction?

Migo

Aug 10, 2013
The Carmen Gomes CD's are now available on Bandcamp:
https://carmengomes.bandcamp.com/

cpvniii

Sep 29, 2013
Wow! We are truly living in a golden age of jazz. Many great releases this year....

Billy Childs "Rebirth"
Great quintet recording from pianist/composer

Anat Cohen Tenent "Happy Song"
This LP will definitely make you feel happy. My favorite is "Anat's Dolina"

Anat Cohen & Marcello Goncalves "Outra Coisa" (vinyl)
Excellent duo LP of clarinet and 7-string guitar. Homage to Moacir Santos. Excellent sonics.

Avishai Cohen "Cross My Palm with Silver" (vinyl)
One of the year's features his signature "noir" sound. Outstanding sonics on this 180 gm release.

Chano Dominguez "Over The Rainbow"
Live solo piano. My favorites are the title song and "Django"

Jimmy Greene "Flowers"
Part II of his elegy for his daughter Ana who was killed at Sandy Hook. A beautiful record.

Louis Hayes "Serenade For Horace"
The drummer on many of Horace Silver's seminal Blue Note releases pays homage to his mentor. Highlight is Gregory Porter's vocals on "Song For My Father"

Sherman Irby "Cerulean Canvas"
JLCO vet with guest appearance by Wynton Marsalis. Excellent modern straight ahead jazz

Vijay Iyer "Far From Over" (vinyl)
Featuring his current sextet playing excellent compositions. Great sonics.

Christian McBride Big Band "Bringing It" (vinyl)
Double LP by the always excellent bassist. Don't miss him live.

Cecile McClorin Salvant "Dreams and Daggers" (vinyl)
On her second release, the vocalist builds on her current live repertoire. Amazing sonics.

Thelonious Monk "Les Liaisons Dangereuses" (vinyl)
Monk at the height of powers. Never before release recordings that were to serve as the movie soundtrack. Great sonics by Kevin Gray and QRP.

Stanton Moore "With You In Mind" (vinyl)
Tribute to Allen Touissaint featuring many of New Orlean's heavy hitter. Great sonics.

Steve Nelson "Brothers Under The Sun"
Homage to his friend the late Mulgrew Miller. One of the year's best and a fantastic recording to boot!

New Orleans Swamp Donkeys "Slightly Concussed"
True to the label "Traditional Jass Band". Live 2 CD set rips through standards and a great rendition of the Game of Thrones theme. Killer sonics.

Jeremy Pelt "Make Noise"
Another excellent release by one of the best trumpeters out there.

Preservation Hall Jazz Band "So It Is" (vinyl)
Not your fathers PHJB, reborn with younger players and more modern sound while maintaining their New Orleans' roots. Well recorded.

Excellent list. Thank you.

Reactions: jazdoc and Kefas

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing