Diaghragmatic absorbers

newmill

Jul 30, 2015
I was wondering if anyone has built the or purchased the bass absorbers from acoustic fields by Dennis Foley. Any thoughts would be welcome. Thankyou.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
No, but I filled out their form to assess my room and he replied it's unusable (which I presume he says for any room not up to professional standards based on his many video). Also, I believe his absorbers are a variation on a theme of activated carbon as a key ingredient.

newmill

Jul 30, 2015
Thanks for the reply. Just out of curiosity, what were the room dimensions you submitted?

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Thanks for the reply. Just out of curiosity, what were the room dimensions you submitted?

My room is 16'8" W (2/3 of the room) x 19' deep by 9' high with an entry that makes the width about 22' for 1/3 the room.

newmill

Jul 30, 2015
Hi o6:
This room doesn't seem like an unusable space. Not sure why you were told that. The room I am building is 17'-0" X 21'-0" with 8.25'-0" ceiling height. I am thinking about building some of the bass management into the walls, and am investigating the carbon technology. Surely I am not the only one that is checking out Dennis's options. Unfortunately, no responses here other than yours. Appreciate your input though.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Dennis said my room is not usable because he expects 2 channel and HT homeowners to knock down walls and have a specially built room like pro studios or cost no object audiophiles (check out his videos). With my sub and DSP I actually get excellent bass in my room so no need for his consulting.

Good luck with your room which is about the size of mine. You should be able to accommodate many speakers with a nice distance to the sweet spot.

newmill

Jul 30, 2015
Built my room without the built ins Dennis had suggested. Pretty disappointed at the sound. Lots of issues. I am an again considering the acoustic fields carbon technology. Any one given this a try?

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
newmill i have hired Dennis for a rather involved build which includes literally tons of carbon. Dennis is legit and rather straight to the point. my build is a metal building with dedicated 2 ch room. absorption and diffusion will be in the walls. i would give him a try but its not inexpensive.

newmill

Jul 30, 2015
Thanks for the reply Hugh. Please keep us posted as to the progress and/or end result. I have, likewise contacted Dennis and am going to sample some of the carbon technology as well.

squasher

Apr 7, 2016
One word of advice: make sure you save all correspondence and records of payments with Denis.

I'm also a believer in the technology and have a number of diaphragmatic absorbers and diffusers in my listening room that are based upon his designs. They've truly made a big difference in my room.

However, I had some serious frustrations with the payment and product-delivery side of Acoustic Fields...

p.s. And let me know where you're located. I have a huge amount of unused activated carbon that I will never get around to using...

Reactions: QuadDiffuser

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
These permanent installs never come with a cast iron guarantee of impvts, I'm surmising.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
One word of advice: make sure you save all correspondence and records of payments with Denis.

I'm also a believer in the technology and have a number of diaphragmatic absorbers and diffusers in my listening room that are based upon his designs. They've truly made a big difference in my room.

However, I had some serious frustrations with the payment and product-delivery side of Acoustic Fields...

p.s. And let me know where you're located. I have a huge amount of unused activated carbon that I will never get around to using...

i confidence in him. He is delivering as he promised. I just bought a bunch. I am making the in walls myself. Will see how much i still need once i start. Glad to here they made a good difference.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
These permanent installs never come with a cast iron guarantee of impvts, I'm surmising.

He does guarantee satisfaction. The room will certainly be better than i could do alone.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing