The Big 4 Tweaks...

j.phelan

Mar 24, 2014
Not for analog sources or tubes:

In audio history, thumbs-down for cable lifters, green paint for CDs, clock radios (to reduce RF), 'speaker bullets', DSP bass-correction (peak flattening), bass traps and 'soundstage-expansion' devices -like Stein Music. This Stein, with multiple units, made small speakers sound 'bigger' (not better?).

Unclear about Shakti's 'hallograph'. Helped some speaker/rooms -with reflections, 'clarifying' the soundstage. Same for ASR's 'resonators', too room-dependent for this list.

A list that really worked:

1)CDRs/disc cleaners-polishers. Either one or both -these did good to improve the reflectivity of CD and help the laser do its job. No longer needed with file or RAM-buffer playback -although Essence's treatment might help w/ ripping and burning.

2)Grounding/balanced-power units. I'm throwing these together as they did the same thing -strip away the excess charge that accumulated near (or in) our systems. "Power conditioners" from the 90s to 2010 did no such thing (or helped in some ways but hurt in others).

The first grounding unit was (probably) the Bybee-Curl device starting in the mid-90s. But its effectiveness was not certain until it improved ca. 2010. Newer entries offer 'blocks' (and claim grounding). Euro-brands Entreq, Nordost, CAD and Vertex while the U.S. has Synergistics. Others, like Audioquest, Shunyata and Telos are grounding -but with full-sized units.

Balanced power is even newer -and seems to be *as effective* as grounding. Only a few reviews, though.

Ground wires form Nordost and Gutwire. These are new and VERY cost effective.

3)Bybee iQSE. Removes a large part of radiated noise inside a component -incl. RF +switching noise.

4)High Fidelity magnetic-waveguide. Speed-up the flow of electrons -Bybee claimed to do this 10-15 years ago with his 'speaker bullets'. But this co. is finally making it work.

2 more, not so big ?

-Stillpoint's wall panels seem to be effective at removing harmful room reflections.

-Footers -from Stillpoints, Black Ravioli and Magico, reduced vibrations+microphony to a high degree. Even under speakers.

Last edited:

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Wall absorption and bass traps are primitive? What would you consider effective for absorption?

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Room treatment/correction and bass management are hardly tweaks, they have a huge profound effect on the music ...orders of magnitude above the other tweaks. If you dont get them right , then the effects of the other tweaks will be masked

Reactions: usaman

j.phelan

Mar 24, 2014
I mentioned Stillpoint's panels.

I cleaned up the list, as there were MANY tweaks to consider. None of this includes LP or tubes !

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Not for analog sources or tubes:

In audio history, thumbs-down for cable lifters, green paint for CDs, clock radios (claiming to reduce RF), 'speaker bullets', DSP bass-correction (peak flattening), bass traps and 'soundstage-expansion' devices -like Stein Music. This Stein, with multiple units, made small speakers sound 'bigger' (not better?).

Unclear about Shakti's 'hallograph'. Helped some speaker/rooms -with reflections, 'clarifying' the soundstage. Same for ASR's 'resonators', too room-dependent for this list.

A list that really worked:

1)CDRs/disc cleaners-polishers. Either one or both -these did good to improve the reflectivity of CD and help the laser do its job. No longer needed with file or RAM-buffer playback -although Essence's treatment might help w/ ripping and burning.

Actually, it's the "treatments" that add a chemical optical layer to the CD, essentially a wax, that work the best. It's similar to multi-coated lenses for binoculars or camera. One of the best was evidently Ultrabit platinum plus, but I can't seem to get it.

2)Grounding/balanced-power units. I'm throwing these together as they did the same thing -strip away the excess charge that accumulated near (or in) our systems. "Power conditioners" from the 90s to 2010 did no such thing (or helped in some ways but hurt in others).

The first grounding unit was (probably) the Bybee-Curl device starting in the mid-90s. But its effectiveness was not certain until it improved ca. 2010. Newer entries offer 'blocks' (and claim grounding). Euro-brands Entreq, Nordost, CAD and Vertex while the U.S. has Synergistics. Others, like Audioquest, Shunyata and Telos are grounding -but with full-sized units.

Balanced power is even newer -and seems to be *as effective* as grounding. Only a few reviews, though.

Ground wires form Nordost and Gutwire. These are new and VERY cost effective.

I have had poor luck with conditioners, but isolating the ground from the house circuit or just putting a new ground rod in the ground and not using the panel ground works well. These are probably not legal though.

The one conditioner that does work, is actually an AC regulator, the Plasmatron. Everyone that tries it seems to buy it. I did.

3)Component noise killers (best -Bybee iQSE). Removes a large part of radiated noise inside a component -incl. RF +switching noise.

I have had mixed results with these. I think they can work on AC circuit inputs to devices, depending on the transient current required.

2 more, not so big ?

-Stillpoint's wall panels seem to be effective at removing harmful room reflections.

-Footers -from Stillpoints, Black Ravioli and Magico, reduced vibrations+microphony to a high degree. Even under speakers.

I second the other post about tube traps, as well as adding scattering devices, called diffusors. These if placed properly can improve imaging, particularly if you have a bigscreen between the speakers. Most people would not consider these tweaks, just acoustic treatments.

Another thing that is not so easy that improves CDs more than anything I have tried is to spray a rubberized paint coating on the top surface, masking the center and edges of course. This is a night and day improvement in jitter for most CDP's.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

j.phelan

Mar 24, 2014
Agree !

I should have re-posted this topic. A tweak is defined as replacing a stock component -or adding something *to* a component. By that def., isolation stands, power units and room treatments don't qualify.

A recap of pure tweaks. No LP or tubes:

Gold CDRs/disc polishing (for optical playback).

Footers -esp. for CD players, large amps & speakers. These have been effective for 10+ years, but what took so long ?. We had Tip Toes in the 80's, but they didn't do much, it seems.

Power cords -unimpeded current flow, a good explanation of how/why these work.

Fuses -from Synergistics or PADIS.

Bybee iQSE -component noise killers.

High Fidelity waveguide -it has science and seems to help electron-flow in wire. But I won't say *every* brand will improve.

DIY -speaker parts. Unless your speakers cost mega-bucks, the parts were probably cheap. But give them time, all parts degrade anyway. Binding posts form Mundorf/WBT, capacitors form Mundorf/ClarityCap, inductors form Goertz and internal wiring from Supra are examples from the past. There are even more choices today.

??? -outboard clocks. Ed Meitner says no, but some reviewers say yes. Expensive, but there are pro-models that can do the job, for less.

Last edited:

carolus

Dec 20, 2013
Belgium (Brussels)
I should have re-posted this topic. A tweak is defined as replacing a stock component -or adding something *to* a component. By that def., isolation stands, power units and room treatments don't qualify. .....

My recent experience with X-tal (clock) versus jitter(!):
In my CéDé-drive TEAC P-2 (very old lady) I change the old (concept) X-tal (& tuning cap) with a new X-tal concept "Neutron Star 2” & special psu.
It was plug & play (in side the P-2 shoe-box!) ….
Amazing the X-tal/psu tweak; more musical micro details (in high & low), larger & profound scène ….
Less jitter (!) …. & more music ….
Fine music … The X-tal tweak, I like it.
Karel

j.phelan

Mar 24, 2014
Thanks -I added clocks as a question-mark because so few use them.

One 'tweak' I found is leaving your DAC on all the time. This, to settle the phase-noise of the clock, which (apparently) needs 4 days to do so !

How many audiophiles were turning their units on/off on/off and never hearing the potential of their component.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Actually, it's the "treatments" that add a chemical optical layer to the CD, essentially a wax, that work the best. It's similar to multi-coated lenses for binoculars or camera. One of the best was evidently Ultrabit platinum plus, but I can't seem to get it.
Steve N.
Empirical Audio

It's available for $150. I went with "L'art du son" for $60 once Optrix was discontinued..

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
It's available for $150. I went with "L'art du son" for $60 once Optrix was discontinued..

I used Ultrabit on my 2000 CDs before ripping using XLD then realised that Tidal via SGM2015 sounds better.
I'll never get that time back.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com

I never like Optrix. The only reason I want some of this is for my 3-D Blu-Rays, not for CD's. Even $60 is a ripoff for 4 oz.

For improving CD transports and Sonos etc., my Synchro-Mesh reclocker and reference BNC cable works much better. 20psec of jitter:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=154408.0

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I don't care if you like Optrix or not and I don't care if your blah blah blah works better.

I was politely telling you that the product you were in search of (Ultrabit Platinum) is still available.

You are very welcome.

PS: It is posts like the one above (I was trying to respond to YOUR inquiry - Post No. 5) that makes me question why I post on this website. And, in the future, show some respect and courtesy for others and please keep your unsolicited opinions to yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: stereonut8

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing