The new affordable A-series from Magico

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

I wonder what the price will be ... $10k ? $15k ?

It seems to retain core Magico technologies: aluminium enclosure, berillium tweeter and carbon fibre mid/woofers (may be even nanotubes or graphene reinforced, but Magico may want to keep those techs to more expensive models).

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Interesting. A few other observations compared to the "S" line at least are:

Bass drivers look a bit smaller than 8" but it could be an optical illusion
Square cabinet verses Rounded
A bit rougher of a finish (ie..looks anodized verses painted)
possibly a different crossover design
Maybe no midrange isolation baffle

Obviously these are just speculations but I was just thinking of things they could do to shave the price down a bit while still maintaining the primary building blocks

I guess this is no different than say BMW offering a 1 series to allow the folks with a Honda Accord budget to now also consider shopping around for a watered down BMW for the same price.

In any event at least now I can hold my head high that my low brow "S" line speaker is no longer the bottom of the barrel :cool:

wgerman

Jul 4, 2012
$5K to $10K speaker segment is very crowded, I hope they offer something that stands out. Wander what the book shelf version will be priced at.

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
Really looking forward to this one :cool:

If I like the sound I may buy a pair :rolleyes:

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
OK, so we now know it is called the A3. It retains most of the magico technologies, minus the diamond coating on the tweeter. The enclosure is much simplified, but still made of solid aluminium with internal bracing.

MSRP US of only $ 9,800.00 (a killer price IMO).

I wonder, if we are gonna see the A1 @ ~$6k ?

Déjà vu

Apr 2, 2013
Switzerland
Highs: 1" MB7 Beryllium Dome (X1)
Midrange: 6” Midrange Graphene Nano Tec (X1)
Bass driver: 7” Bass Graphene Nano Tec (X2)
Sensitivity: 88dB
Impedance: 4 ohms
Frequency Response: 22Hz – 50 kHz
Minimum Recommended power: 50 Watts
Dimensions: 44”H x 11”D x 9.25”W (112cm x 27cm x 23cm)
Weight: 110 lbs. (50 Kg)

Suggested Retail Price: MSRP US $ 9,800.00
Ship date: First Quarter 2018

C.A.P

Apr 23, 2010
Looks promising for the Magico ears.. I dont see any thing lower in full range as it will start to cheapen the brand name.. 22 to 50k for under 10k is ALOT ! You just have to warm up to the BE tweeter

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

I wonder what the price will be ... $10k ? $15k ?

It seems to retain core Magico technologies: aluminium enclosure, berillium tweeter and carbon fibre mid/woofers (may be even nanotubes or graphene reinforced, but Magico may want to keep those techs to more expensive models).

a welcome pause to what appeared to be an endless, upward spiral.

parkcaka

Sep 11, 2016
Istanbul
You can call me a Wilson fanboy.

If this full range speaker plays good, and I'm sure it does, it will be a major blow to the Sabrina and Carmel.

As far as I can see, drivers of A3 are the reference stuff we used to see on 30K+ models about 5 years ago.

This is a great example of elite audiophiles funding (relatively) budget projects for the rest.

Good job for Magico.

Love and respect,

Cagdas

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
suddenly the s3 @28k looked expensive. no?

Well, it depends how you look at it. The S3 mk 2 has:

- 8" woofers vs 7"
- better enclosure (thicker, rounded vs square)
- diamond coated tweeter
- even better higher grade corossover parts

Plus it smokes most of the $30k competition anyway.

parkcaka

Sep 11, 2016
Istanbul
Well, it depends how you look at it. The S3 mk 2 has:

- 8" woofers vs 7"
- better enclosure (thicker, rounded vs square)
- diamond coated tweeter
- even better higher grade corossover parts

Plus it smokes most of the $30k competition anyway.

Dear Elberoth,

You are right but A3 will have negative effect on S3 sales for sure imho. If I know it, Alon knows it too and the very very very nice thing is he doesn't care. That is one good step for the industry and the audiophiles.

The least expensive full range Magico was S3 at 28K. Now it is A3 under 10K. I'm just guessing but from the looks of A3 the performance will be close. Not the same but close. Most probably you'll get 80-90% of S3 with A3. Just remember how S series competed with Q series. Q series never destroyed the S series.

We know Alon by now. He'll never sell a mediocre speaker with a "M" on it.

This will hurt S3 sales. It will even hurt second hand sales.

I'm repeating myself. At the end, entering hi-end speaker realm under 10K is a very good news for us as audiophiles. I hope to see an answer from Wilson.

C.A.P

Apr 23, 2010
Wilson does not answer , They set the mark ! LOL .. In all seriousness, I don't see a under 10k from Wilson as it will cheapen the brand image and sales of upper models are back ordered in some models !

fish fingers

May 11, 2015
Reading the description from the boss of Magico- its a single layer of graphene material per cone(I guess less than the more expensive models), but vague as to what process. Do they use powder in resin or sheet variety?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing