Emm labs DA2 v2 upgrade

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
Hi Bar81,

I am using the volume control of the DV2. The volume control here is as good (in terms of sound quality) as the best out there!

I just purchased the EMM Labs DV2 and agree it's a major upgrade from my previous XDS1v2 which I'm now using as a transport. I also eliminated my JRDG Corus since I listen only to digital (anyone interested in a great sounding, beautiful preamp:)).

I bought the XDS1 in 2011 after comparing it to the other top contenders at RMAF that year. I've only been listening for a week, but there's no question the DV2 has real sounding mids/highs and a wider, deeper, slightly more forward soundstage.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
I just purchased the EMM Labs DV2 and agree it's a major upgrade from my previous XDS1v2 which I'm now using as a transport. I also eliminated my JRDG Corus since I listen only to digital (anyone interested in a great sounding, beautiful preamp:)).

I bought the XDS1 in 2011 after comparing it to the other top contenders at RMAF that year. I've only been listening for a week, but there's no question the DV2 has real sounding mids/highs and a wider, deeper, slightly more forward soundstage.

The DV2 needs to be run in. My DV2 has just passed the 3rd weeks of continuous running in. I will give it 2 more days just to be sure it is fully run in.

Last edited:

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi Vienna,

Are you able to sell your DA2? It should not be a problem to sell it because those who want to upgrade to a DA2 V2 can buy it and send the DA2 V1 to the factory to get it upgraded to a brand new DA2 V2! (Note that the power supply and all the digital and analog boards will be changed)

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi guys,

I have just replaced the stock AT&T optical cable with Aural Symphonics Optimism Lotus ST (newest item in white). Many thanks to Bar81 and Tony for the recommendation. I would go so far as to say that using the Optimism Lotus ST is indispensable if we want to hear the full potential of the DA2 V2 and the current DV2!

My first impression:

Certainly great improvements across the entire frequency! More refinement, richer timbre, more lifelike and therefore more dynamic, like the real thing! Certainly more resolution but not clinical, instead more emotional involvement. Instruments are life size, has body and 3 dimensional - very close to what you hear at concert halls. The bass has great impact and excellent details. The high frequency has excellent details too, a first for digital!

Last edited:
Reactions: tonytsui

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
However, I think my Pre2 is quite there with the best. I had compared it with the Soulution preamp in my system, and I preferred my Pre2.
Excellent preamp the Pre2. I Heard It in systems of two friends of mine, both partnered with Viola Bravo Power amp and it was truly excellent.
Recently I tried It in my home extensively and It was truly satisfying, never fatiguing, a great mix of detail and organic sound. If I find a unit at a reasonable price in the used market probably It will be my next preamp.
Just my two cents.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Excellent preamp the Pre2. I Heard It in systems of two friends of mine, both partnered with Viola Bravo Power amp and it was truly excellent.
Recently I tried It in my home extensively and It was truly satisfying, never fatiguing, a great mix of detail and organic sound. If I find a unit at a reasonable price in the used market probably It will be my next preamp.
Just my two cents.

Hi, If you are interested in buying my Pre2 ( upgraded last year - the analog and power systems), email me via this forum. Thanks

Last edited:

Bar81

Mar 24, 2017
Hi guys,

I have just replaced the stock AT&T optical cable with Aural Symphonics Optimism Lotus ST (newest item in white). Many thanks to Bar81 and Tony for the recommendation. I would go so far as to say that using the Optimism Lotus ST is indispensable if we want to hear the full potential of the DA2 V2 and the current DV2!

Your are welcome and glad to see that you are hearing obvious improvements; anyone using the manufacturer included ST cable is really short changing themselves on the ultimate performance of the DA2.

One point thought, the red/pink cable and white jacket Aural Symphonics Optimism Lotus have been current production since 2017 so I don't want people to get the impression that there's been some kind of recent product change.

tonytsui

Apr 20, 2014
Your are welcome and glad to see that you are hearing obvious improvements; anyone using the manufacturer included ST cable is really short changing themselves on the ultimate performance of the DA2.

One point thought, the red/pink cable and white jacket Aural Symphonics Optimism Lotus have been current production since 2017 so I don't want people to get the impression that there's been some kind of recent product change.
Thanks Bar81 I was wondering if my Aural Symphonics is an older model.
Not all optical cables are alike. An audiophile friend who makes industrial optical cables asked his engineers to compare the stock EMM, Jadis and Aural Symphonics cables. Under microscope all three cables have different curvatures and the Aural Symphonics came out best. Apparently this curvature affects dispersion and ultimately sound. It's also easy to scratch and permanently damage an optical cable, so never buy used.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi guys,

Below my current sound system, which consists of Emm Labs TSDX CD/SACD transport, Emm Labs DV2, Constellation Audio Centaur amp, Magico M2 speakers, Magico Q-Sub15. Interconnect and speaker cables: Ansuz Acoustics Diamond. Power cables: Shunyata Sigma NR. Power conditioners: Shunyata Hydra DPC-6, Ansuz Acoustics Mainz 8 Diamond Power Distributor. Resonance Control footers: Ansuz Acoustics Darkz dtc. Rack and Amp stand: Critical Mass Systems Maxxum. Optical cable: Aural Symphonics Optimism Lotus ST.

Attachments

• my  current sound system.jpeg
    my current sound system.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

fuscobal

Apr 8, 2020
Where does the Q-sub take the signal from ? My Pass XP-10 preamp only has 2 XLR outs and 2 RCAs. XLRs are already used for the power amp that drives the speakers.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Where does the Q-sub take the signal from ? My Pass XP-10 preamp only has 2 XLR outs and 2 RCAs. XLRs are already used for the power amp that drives the speakers.

Hi Fuscobal, My Q-Sub 15 is connected to the RCA output of the Emm Labs DV2.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi guys,

Just to share my thoughts on the contributions of the Magico Q-Sub 15 (and the Emm Labs DV2; the Magico M2) to transporting me to the concert hall by recreating its acoustic environment:

The Q-Sub 15 very low distortions allows double basses, bass drums, etc. to bloom like the real thing; the majestic fortissimos to generate overwhelming power and to hear the enveloping reverberation!

fuscobal

Apr 8, 2020
Listened to a lot of subs in the past (none at that level however) and could always feel the sub working separately from speakers. How's the integration in your case, Yuen ?

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Listened to a lot of subs in the past (none at that level however) and could always feel the sub working separately from speakers. How's the integration in your case, Yuen ?

Hi fuscobal,

No issue really. The Q-Sub can be optimized to produced a smooth or flat frequency response with EQ. In fact, adding the main speakers further smoothed the low frequency response from overlapping of the main speakers with the sub.

That was also JV's experience. He says: "With the QSubs in and the Soulution 711 or the Constellation Hercules II driving the entire shebang, I would be hard pressed to say that I hear a substantial difference in the low end between the M3s and the M Pros (also coupled with subs) on a powerful, deep-reaching pop cut like “I’m the Man to Be” from EL VY’s Return to the Moon or Dire Straits’ “So Far Away” from Brothers in Arms." (Magico M3 review / The Absolute Sound)

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi Guys

If you are a Mahler fan, listen to this recording: Mahler Symphony No. 2, by the San Francisco Symphony, conducted by Michael Tilson Thomas (2 SACD). This is the most lifelike, stunning, and spectacular Mahler recording yet. The extreme accuracy of instrumental timbres and clarity (not a single note is superfluous) is evident via the Emm Labs DV2. The instruments sounded so tender, delicate and radiant, yet the massive finale opening so overwhelming in its impact via the Emm Labs DV2!

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
Hi, If you are interested in buying my Pre2 ( upgraded last year - the analog and power systems), email me via this forum. Thanks
Hi Yuen, I wrote you with a private message but I received any answer, please check your "conversations" messages and let me know.
Thanks!
Marco

Bar81

Mar 24, 2017
Finally got the system setup in my new place and now have about 100 hours on it with minor room treatment. I've still got time to go in terms of break in but at this point I feel that I have a good handle on the improvements brought about by the V2 hardware upgrade to the EMM Labs DA2.

It was actually a tough decision as to whether to get the V2 upgrade; I didn't really need an upgrade from the v2 firmware (or so I thought) - I was very happy with my system. I went through with the V2 hardware upgrade primarily because I wanted to support EMM Labs in these uncertain times (it didn’t hurt that EMM Labs has never steered me wrong, from the XDS1 to the XDS1 V2 to the TX2/DA2 and then the DA2 v2 firmware update – the performance of my system had jumped each time with such improvement considerably accelerating with the change to the TX2/DA2 combo and then another massive jump up with the v2 firmware for the DA2).

The two things that immediately jumped out at me with the DA2 V2 are the improved pace and articulation. The pace of the music just flows so smoothly now in combination with my Ayre KX-R Twenty preamp - it's almost hypnotizing. In terms of articulation, so much more can be heard from previously muddled lyrics and unearthed low level effects/ambiance in the music. Having said that, the increase in soundstage both laterally and in terms of depth is impressive in that it is clearly expanded but not unnaturally exaggerated. After how good cymbals and strings were on the v2 firmware I thought there wasn't more there but I was so very wrong, the added definition on cymbals and smoothness of massed strings is just jaw dropping. And the bass, not that it needed any improvement imo (but I was wrong there as well) - the definition and differentiation between types of drums and bass is just astounding.

There isn't one aspect of my system's performance that hasn't been markedly upgraded by the DA2 V2. Until I heard the V2 hardware upgrade, I didn't realize how much improvement could still be wrung out of my system.

Kudos to the EMM Labs team. The DA2 V2 is a revelation.

Reactions: tonytsui

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com

The proper method to integrate a subwoofer in a stereo system is to use an active crossover like the JL Audio CR1. JL Audio T/S was very helpful in providing the procedure below. Using this type of setup your main speakers and subwoofer will sound as one cohesive unit.

Adjust phase alignment between the main speakers and subwoofer(s):

CR-1; set bypass button off, sub & satellite frequency 80 Hz; crossover slope 24 dB; mute right main speaker

F212v2; set master volume to off; LP filter off; LP frequency doesn’t matter (set on the CR-1); elf trim to 12 o’clock; phase 0.

- Match volume level match left speaker and subwoofer; turn preamp volume to talking level (frequency disc) 75 dB; standing exactly between the left speaker and subwoofer, turn the master level control clockwise until the volume matches the left speaker.

- Set subwoofer phase (polarity) to 180 degrees.

- play frequency disc in repeat for 80 Hz; turn the subwoofer phase control clockwise & then counterclockwise to find the quietest position 80 Hz position.

- turn the polarity back to 0 on the subwoofer and unmute the right speaker on the CR-1.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing