Thread: Repairing mbl finish scratches?

Repairing mbl finish scratches?

Hi folks,

I long dreamed of owning MBL 101s but they have been financially out of reach. Fortunately, a few years ago, I happened upon a pair of MBL 121 monitors for sale. They had been damaged in shipping so I got an amazing deal
    on the little guys. I LOVE their sound as they really do give a nice helping of that MBL magic - and they are tonally gorgeous driven even by me "meagre" Conrad Johnson Premier 12 amps (I have a smallish room and don't listen very loud).

Anyway, they do have some nicks and a few deep scratches I'd love repaired. Given the hard glossy finish on MBLs, how might I get those touched up? I'm wondering if my best bet is to take them to a place that does car finish touch ups or something.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Bump.

I guess this is the wrong forum to ask this question. Not much traffic. I'll try somewhere else as well.

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    Why not call Jeremy at MBL and ask him directly?
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Air Tight Opus-1; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse; line stage: VTL TL-7.5 Series III; amplifier: VTL Siegfried Series II; loudspeaker: Gryphon Pendragon; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Vintage Audio Nothing racks, Herzan TS-140/Taiko Tana for Io, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Torus AVR60BAL; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; acoustic treatment: ASC IsoThermal Tube Traps, Lumitex drapes

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    It's scary to give a recommendation because we don't know how MBLs are finished. Automotive paints and lacquers are fixed differently AFAIK. Best to ask MBL to be safe?
    Disclosure of Industry Participation

Co-Founder and Managing Director PureSound PH - Exclusive Distributor (Philippines only) of Lamm, Von Schweikert Audio, CH Precision, Light Harmonic, Valvet, Townshend, Critical Mass Systems, EERA, KR Audio, Ambience SS, TechDAS, Master Built, Stromtank

Yes, that makes sense. (I should have thought of that).

I'll get in touch with MBL.

Thanks for the replies!