Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I need a Studer repair man in the Los Angeles-South Orage County area

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Williams View Post
    Sadly my A810 seemed to bite the bullet yesterday and I am looking for a Studer technician in my area.

After playing one of Ed Pong's amazing tapes I noticed that the A810 was making a noise at the take up spool. When the tape had run through and I took it off the spool I noticed that the spool was still turning in spite of pushing the stop button.. I also smelled something burning. Any help or ideas is much appreciated

Ki Choi where are you ?
    Steve

Sorry to hear about your A810. Recently, I had known several other folks' A810 having similar unnecessary excitement with their Spooling Motor Controller issues. It seems time must have come for these A810 to die all at the relatively same time.

Judging from your description, you need to replace three .47uF caps in the Spooling Motor Controller card that is mounted on the right side frame as you look from the back. Same cap is found in Voltage Stabilizer Assembly as well.

I will post some photo of the suspect cap.

Thanks,
    Ki

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ki Choi View Post
    Steve

Sorry to hear about your A810. Recently, I had known several other folks' A810 having similar unnecessary excitement with their Spooling Motor Controller issues. It seems time must have come for these A810 to die all at the relatively same time.

Judging from your description, you need to replace three .47uF caps in the Spooling Motor Controller card that is mounted on the right side frame as you look from the back. Same cap is found in Voltage Stabilizer Assembly as well.

Thanks,
    Ki
    Are you referring to the (in)famous cracking capacitors used in Studer's and Revox's for motor suppression?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack, Soundlab A1 Px's while waiting for the XLF successor, EMT927, SME3012R, ARC Phono 3, Lamm ML1.2 Ref, Lamm L2ref, Stealth Dream speaker , Crystal Dreamline ICs, TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables, CenterStage footers and Nordost Qkore8's!

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by Ki Choi View Post
    Steve

Thanks,
    Ki
    Hi Ki

Great to hear from you

I just got back from LA where I dropped my A810 off at Marc Bishoff's house. Indeed one of the caps on that board exploded. He replaced all 3 of those caps and hoped all was well but when he plugged it in the take up spool continued to run and the noise persisted which to George suggested it took out part of the board. He will be recapping the entire machine as well as trouble shooting the board. I am hoping that I can pick it up on Saturday as Marty arrives for the weekend only to be followed by Joe a day later.

FWIW I was impressed with Marc's diagnostic acumen as wells his work bench which was filled with scopes from floor to ceiling as well as 2 complete stacks of Revox Studer machines that he salvaged from CBS

Thanks to everyone for referring Marc
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    USA Dealer of Center Stage Feet and owner of PitchPerfect Sound (www.pitchperfectsound.com)
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

The story has a happy ending. It's all fixed for pickup tomorrow
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    USA Dealer of Center Stage Feet and owner of PitchPerfect Sound (www.pitchperfectsound.com)
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

The story has a happy ending. It's all fixed for pickup tomorrow
    that was quick!
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Lyra Etna SL; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC, Oppo BDP-105;

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    Great, Steve!
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Air Tight Opus-1; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies; line stage: VTL TL-7.5 Series III; amplifier: VTL Siegfried Series II; loudspeaker: Gryphon Pendragon; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Vintage Audio Nothing racks, Herzan TS-140/Taiko Tana for Io, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Benjamin Electric subpanel, JPS in-wall wire, Furutech NCF outlets, Torus AVR60BAL; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; acoustic treatment: SoundSense A.T.I. + Lumitex drapes + Vibramat, ASC IsoThermal Tube Traps; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks, self-propelled sound-absorbing cocker-poo

Quote Originally Posted by dminches View Post
    that was quick!
    Thanks to you
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

I’m embarrassed by what he charged and got me operational for my guests
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! Barry's Avatar
    I’m embarrassed by what he charged and got me operational for my guests
    I never pay my 2 tech guys what they expect- always more. Sometimes much more. Both are well known. They don't charge enough considering the work involved and I really appreciate it. They've never let me down. Actually, over the past 15 years or so, they've become good friends.

I took what he charged me and multiplied it by 2 and paid him in cash

His work bench was simply amazing as was his parts which ran from floor to ceiling. People like him are a dying breed. I asked him if he was teaching any younger people his skills and he said no one is interested.
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast