Golden Gate 2 Reactions

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Your comments are spot on. I wonder, how the sound of both tubes will change with break in. Maybe they will sound closer to each other. Anyway, I am now listening to 242, and I have no desire to go back to 300B;)

I've sent my 300B back for replacement.

I still like that RK, though. It does things nothing else does. The word "architectural" springs to mind, for some reason. Compared to most, it is a bit flat in the z-plane imagery wise. But it seems to hold a soundstage of great structure and assumed ease - it has an air of confidence about it. It's like "this is quite an easy job to do, isn't it". I caught it sounding a little dry yesterday on some material. But I still like it.

Another goodie is the EML Lampizator 45 6th Anniversary Special Edition (mesh plate). Way better than the EML 45 solid plates I had for a while some time ago. I thinks it's is fabulous - really sweet, spacious mid range. Just lovely. They should make some more.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I've sent my 300B back for replacement.

Another goodie is the EML Lampizator 45 6th Anniversary Special Edition (mesh plate). Way better than the EML 45 solid plates I had for a while some time ago. I thinks it's is fabulous - really sweet, spacious mid range. Just lovely. They should make some more.

No more anniv globe mesh globes will ever be made! no begging or pleading will ever change that. What will replace the RKs?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
No more anniv globe mesh globes will ever be made! no begging or pleading will ever change that. What will replace the RKs?

More RK Norman. What is your current fave?

I wasn't planning on begging for anything. Plenty of other fish in the ocean. Those that have them got a goodie.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Figure of speech Justin. Message is to hold dearly to your pair. RKs are not the problem. They will be continually made. Its the EML mesh globes that are kaput.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
My current favs are RK 300b, Uk Design psvane 300b and eml anniv mesh globe 45s.

Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Figure of speech Justin. Message is to hold dearly to your pair. RKs are not the problem. They will be continually made. Its the EML mesh globes that are kaput.

They are Keds - on loan, not mine:(

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Just heard the Psvane WE replica 300b with the thick glass. Me likey!

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Just heard the Psvane WE replica 300b with the thick glass. Me likey!

You like the 300b WE replica better than your RK 300b?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Cant say...didnt do head to head. It did beat the treasured UK design head to head.

You will get a chance to compare this weekend and tell us.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
The RK 300b was specially designed to be a cross between 300b and 242. I have never heard that properly btw, so my previous reply on 242 was wrt compares on other valves. But there it did not lack bass. Though it can sound different across systems

I got the new replacement RK 300Bs back from Frank at Best300B.

They don't sound the same as the first lot. I'm sure of it. I think they're better, and they're definitely better in the z-plane. Need more time to evaluate.

Wookii

Jan 7, 2015
Its good to hear some of the feedback on the RK 300B in here, I've had my finger hovering over the 'buy' button for some time waiting for feedback (didn't think of looking in this thread).

I have the Psvane UK 300B on Normans recommendation, in my B7, and think its a superb tube - its a hard choice for me between that and my 242's, they offer quite different things so my hope was that the RK 300B's might bridge the gap and provide some of the best of both worlds.

On another note, does anyone know whether Lukasz will eventually release the network audio board, as seen on the Pacific, as an upgrade on the GG2? I'd love to be able to lose all the additional USB 'boxes' I have, and that might persuade me to make the jump form B7 to GG2. Certainly on my PS Audio DS the network board gave a substantial step up in SQ over the USB input, so I'd guess Lukasz's implementation would offer the same.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Hi wookii

When I was able to try the RK 300B I was delighted because they sounded really good to my ears.
But when I switched back to the 242 (for me, in my System, in my ears), the 242 did everything better again yet.

So if the 242 works in your System, I honestly don't see a reason to get the RK 300B in addition to the 242.

Wookii

Jan 7, 2015
Hi wookii

When I was able to try the RK 300B I was delighted because they sounded really good to my ears.
But when I switched back to the 242 (for me, in my System, in my ears), the 242 did everything better again yet.

So if the 242 works in your System, I honestly don't see a reason to get the RK 300B in addition to the 242.

Thanks Christoph. My only 300B comparison to the 242 is the Psvane UK Design 300B, and in my system (I suspect many factors are dependent on the interaction with the whole system) there are things they do better than the 242's.

For me the 242's offer the greatest level of resolution and sense of space, and greater sound stage size - all the factor's I would typically 'look' for in audio equipment - they do sound truly fantastic . . . but (and its a big 'but') as soon as I switch to the 300B, the sound instantly becomes more natural and organic (for lack of a better word) - the sound draws me into the music significantly more than the 242's. Ultimately the 242's for me lack that sense of engagement.

I've swapped between them many times now, and the result is always the same, irrespective of what music I play. I see the effects straight away, with the 242's I'm constantly switching to the next track, never content to just listen. With the 300B's its the opposite, I put a track on, and it surprises me when Roon switches to radio mode because I've reached the end of the track and not even thought about tee'ing up the next one.

It was my hope that the RK 300B's might offer a similar level of engagement to the UK 300B's, but add back in some of that sound stage, air and detail of the 242's. It could well be that the two are mutually exclusive, and I'm chasing something that doesn't exist!

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Hi wookii

I get what you mean.
When I try to describe the Sound of the 242 to other audiophiles, I have to use words that would normally let myself be hesitant to go in that direction, but in my System and for my taste, the 242 is so very good "in spite of" those attributes like extrem transparancy, very airy and very detailed and wideband extension in the FR.

A friend of mine was at my place and brought his original WE 300B from the 70ies and even he preferred the 242 over his 300B (the best 300B I heard so far in my System!!). He was very happy to be able to save his valuable WE 300B's for amp purposes and use the 242 in his GG.

There are other tubes I like (KR PX25 or EML 45 mesh anni globes) but for me the 242 just clicks and I always return to them :D

Wookii

Jan 7, 2015
Hi wookii

I get what you mean.
When I try to describe the Sound of the 242 to other audiophiles, I have to use words that would normally let myself be hesitant to go in that direction, but in my System and for my taste, the 242 is so very good "in spite of" those attributes like extrem transparancy, very airy and very detailed and wideband extension in the FR.

A friend of mine was at my place and brought his original WE 300B from the 70ies and even he preferred the 242 over his 300B (the best 300B I heard so far in my System!!). He was very happy to be able to save his valuable WE 300B's for amp purposes and use the 242 in his GG.

There are other tubes I like (KR PX25 or EML 45 mesh anni globes) but for me the 242 just clicks and I always return to them :D

What recti do you use with it, the Tak? Is your unit balanced or SE?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

He uses KR in SE, because KR is short for Kedar.

Other than that, 242 doing well is dependent on the match with the pre and the Vout. Never figured out how that works apart from trial and error. Mine didn't work with the AR ref 6, but his did

Al rainbow uses Tak, KR, Westinghouse. The 242 didn't sound good in one of his big 7s with either. Think he found it sounding extremely good in his other big 7 later. He was then using his MSB dac as a pre. Dctom's sounded even better with his 242 into the Ypsilon passive after he reduced the gain. And now Justin has new epiphany of 242 with the airtight pre after it made thumping sounds with his previous Lampi dac and passive pre

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I've just been doing (in the last five minutes) a 242 versus the replacement RKs.

I did say the replacements were different to the first lot.

The track I have been using for direct compare is The Brandt Brauer Frick Ensemble "On Powdered Ground" from the album Mr Machine.

So first of, I tried 242 with some Rothwell attenuators into my active pre. Mistake, they are shite, robs the 242 of its life. Much better putting up with the high gain. I still have enough volume flexibility to use it realistically without. It just isn't as nice as lower gain options.

Next in the RK. Like the first lot, the bass is stronger than 242. There is more of it, definitely. Secondly, in just about every parameter the RK is superior. Better spatiality, better clarity, better separation, easier to listen to. It is just plain better.

I was using this same track the last time I was comparing 242 versus the RK.

That's all I have to say for now. Ked's welcome to listen and agree or disagree.

I'm pretty happy I complained and seemed to have scored a very good pair.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Good to know.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
It does win on that track, whereas before, they didn't.

Over a much wider range of material the "average" results could be different. And that's very important. The "average" performance is what is important WRT which valve you end up using the most.

But I never stay with the same valve - I am always changing depending on mood, probably more than anything.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

Unfortunately I have never heard the Takatsuki 274b recti.
(Apart from the Tak I don't know) my all time favorite rectifier is the KR 5u4g white base, because it sounds so good :cool:
(and not because of Keds huge deficit in lack of self esteem) :rolleyes:

Oh, my GG is SE

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing