Golden Gate 2 Reactions

Bobofei86

Apr 11, 2021
I’m no expert - but I’d say when you get the new preamp, start with the vc in the GG2 bypassed (0db) and go from there - if you get any distortion then simply back the vc on the GG2 down until the distortion goes away.

when shopping for a pre- go for at least 40k input impedance single ended if possible (20k minimum) and one with high output capability so you are less likely to run into overload issues with the 242.
Thanks so much cpcat :)

Your advises definitely help me to narrow down the options already, i will target for those with relatively high input and low output impedance preamp first, and also try to use the bypassed to test.

Btw, i tried a quite decent passive preamp but it doesn't fit in my chain, I think i will focus to shop around those active preamp

Reactions: christoph

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
To the degree that experience with the TRP w/ volume knob applies... I've been using the ATC SCM19A for a few years and am auditioning a pair of 40A's I picked up used, to see which one I prefer to keep (at 115 lbs the 50A is a little hefty for me). Also starting to use subs, so bass handling is important. When running the TRP directly to the 19A's (faux XLR), I felt some limitations too. When I went looking for a preamp, Mick Maloney's preamps -- Supratek -- very much fit the bill in terms of output, quality, modest tonal warmth and price, as well as having balanced outputs (and inputs) apparently done in a unique way as standard, and lots of room for improvement via tube rolling and a better umbilical.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobofei86

Bobofei86

Apr 11, 2021
To the degree that experience with the TRP w/ volume knob applies... I've been using the ATC SCM19A for a few years and am auditioning a pair of 40A's I picked up used, to see which one I prefer to keep (at 115 lbs the 50A is a little hefty for me). Also starting to use subs, so bass handling is important. When running the TRP directly to the 19A's (faux XLR), I felt some limitations too. When I went looking for a preamp, Mick Maloney's preamps -- Supratek -- very much fit the bill in terms of output, quality, modest tonal warmth and price, as well as having balanced outputs (and inputs) apparently done in a unique way as standard, and lots of room for improvement via tube rolling and a better umbilical.
Thanks highstream and i think it's a common challenge for us to drive the atc active by using Lampi direct out, although it sounds so transparent and tasty, I may prefer to go for SS pre amp to enhance the dynamic and bass. But it's not the first time i hear the good words about Supratek :)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing