Golden Gate 2 Reactions

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
What does you spec sheet say? Does it give the FW number? if not just contact Lukasz about reflashing. its fairly easy but you need to open the chassis and use a windows computer.
The spec sheet says 2002b. So it should work with Linux.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
124F3505-9FB3-4865-8586-E57AB685299C.png

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Yes, USB from EX, LAN between CX and EX. Before I used USB from DX.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I don't know if they support the RAAT device inside THE DAC. in fact I'll bet they don't. The RAAT is network audio device for Roon alone to my understanding

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
AL, he has a GG2, so no built in Ethernet.
I cant figure why he doesn't get DSD512. Only thing is that he has a separate DSD512 chipless engine and its not engaged. R2R DSD ONLY does up to 256.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Azizz, please post a picture of your Dac, front and back.
EDIT: found the pictures here, https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/golden-gate-2-reactions.24388/page-4#post-513809

It seems you need to actively engage DSD512 chipless module. Not sure if that is pushing in the faceplate button, as that is usually to switch between USB and SPDIF input...I always had Vol CTL Lampis since B7 (you use the remote control), so am not sure how this is done on your Dac.

Last edited:

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Azizz, please post a picture of your Dac, front and back.
EDIT: found the pictures here, https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/golden-gate-2-reactions.24388/page-4#post-513809

It seems you need to actively engage DSD512 chipless module. Not sure if that is pushing in the faceplate button, as that is usually to switch between USB and SPDIF input...I always had Vol CTL Lampis since B7 (you use the remote control), so am not sure how this is done on your Dac.
I checked it, when I ordered the dac, and was told, that the switching between chipless DSD512 and R2R is fully automatic in GG2.

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
OK, Didn't know that.

Must be a software setup issue in Roon then. Not familiar with Roon. Al is better to help there.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
A question list
1- Does the antipodes have a usb output that you are using to convey your. ?
2- If so what formats / bit rates does or play ?
3- Can you play any dsd from Roon ?
4- when you play pcm a d dsd post a screen shot of the usb connection as it's seen in Roon .

Mr P

Apr 17, 2015
Fort Myers, Florida
Azizz - On your browser go to http://myantipodes.com. Click on the manage button. Click on settings and then on the Roon Ready icon. Make sure the DSD Support window has Native DSD selected and not DoP. I may be wrong, but I believe DoP only supports up to 256. The screenshots you posted in previous messages are identical to what I have. I have an older version of the Amanero firmware that only supports DoP up to 256. Hope this makes sense. Let me know the outcome.

Reactions: abeidrov

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Azizz - On your browser go to http://myantipodes.com. Click on the manage button. Click on settings and then on the Roon Ready icon. Make sure the DSD Support window has Native DSD selected and not DoP. I may be wrong, but I believe DoP only supports up to 256. The screenshots you posted in previous messages are identical to what I have. I have an older version of the Amanero firmware that only supports DoP up to 256. Hope this makes sense. Let me know the outcome.
Thank you, I will try that, when I get home. I was sure, Lampizator dacs only support DSD via DoP, that is why I've always selected DoP.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
It worked. I have DSD512 support now:). Although, I am not sure, I liked, what I heard.
Mr P, thank you very much!

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Thank you, I will try that, when I get home. I was sure, Lampizator dacs only support DSD via DoP, that is why I've always selected DoP.
not at all. they support native. Dop cant support 512

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I was just curious to try upsampling to DSD512. Beforehand, I briefly tried upsampling to DSD256, and redbook sounded really good. I can't say that it definitely sounded better, than native rate playback, but on some tracks I preferred it to native with 242 tubes.

Reactions: wisnon

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Native rate playback beats upsampling...to me at least.

To me aswell very much!
Even upsampled PCM i find it hard to listen to.

Reactions: wisnon and bonzo75

Bobofei86

Apr 11, 2021
Hi Gents

I'm using RK242 and directly connect my GG2 to the ATC 50a active now, the tone is just right and i want to stay with the 242 tubes, however, due to the impedance mis-matching 1,600 ohm in GG2 and 10k ohm in ATC active, the bass and the overall picture is limited and im going to buy a preamp soon, since i have VC in my GG2, may i know the whats the best range of the sweet spot happens? Always heard that most of the preamp need to work well after 11o clock, may i know any particular range in GG2 is the best as well? E.g between -10db to -20db, i fully understand there are dependences of diff preamp and equipment for the best result, just want to hear the experience of the experts in this thread to share your VC setting. Thx so much, Joe

cpcat

Jun 20, 2016
South Carolina
I’m no expert - but I’d say when you get the new preamp, start with the vc in the GG2 bypassed (0db) and go from there - if you get any distortion then simply back the vc on the GG2 down until the distortion goes away.

when shopping for a pre- go for at least 40k input impedance single ended if possible (20k minimum) and one with high output capability so you are less likely to run into overload issues with the 242.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing