Golden Gate 2 Reactions

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Anyone tried EML PX4 Mesh or EML 300B Mesh?

Also, looking at the internal construction of the EML 45 Mesh, I can't see any difference between that and the 6th Anniversary 45 Mesh apart from the top of tube supports, base and printing. Really there is none, or at least nothing you can see. Anyone got both and if so can they confirm if they sound the same?

Greg has a pair of EML PX4 mesh if anyone wants to buy. I tried it, preferred the KR PX4. He also has the older EML 45 globe non Lampi

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Sorry I missed the last part both recti are good but if you can borrow a tak recti do so. It’s more refined in details and is better in some setups but not all. I also own a few nos we 274b and nos we 300b as well.
To me only the pacific plays 300b tubes well. The others show bloat and uneven sound

I am not finding that at all. With the latest pair of RK 300B, when I play a track and then switch to 242, 242 loses.

I have only directly done that with three tracks, please note. Nonetheless.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Could be a taste thing? We found on the Pac that the Lampi anniv GM 45 had a lot more bass than the RK 300b, both with EML mesh 274b. With Chinese 274b and Mazda double mica 5r4gy, the gap cut and the RK stepped up so much that my host thought it was a 3rd set of tubes that I introduced!

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I sold my EML 274B when I discovered how good the Chatham 5R4WGB potato masher was. I don't think you liked that Norman, from what I remember. It is an incredible recti the specs are amazing. And it's really cheap. All IMHO.

I find RK has more bass than 242. Not directly compared RK with
anniversary 45 WRT bass but I love that Anniversary 45. Really annoyed I have to give it back to Ked:)

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I like the masher a lot....In the Atlantic. Decent in the GG. Very inferior in the Pac. I had one since my B7 days.
RK could indeed have more bass than 242. Didnt do that comparo yet. 242 is great in the Pac with Shug 274b recti, but hard sounding in my GG.

Anniv globe mesh is a keeper in my books. AL has a pair left, but not sure if he will sell. he also has a pair of the solid plate 45 globes..

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
The DACs are all so different Norman, and so are people's systems. Even equivalent models are constructed quite differently. So there has to be some swings towards certain valves because of that and not the valves performance alone. Add user taste and different ears ( the performance of which really does vary especially with age) and, well, it goes without saying.

Find me a KR recti that works at 60,000 feet and can withstand 900G. These valves were made incredibly well and are far more robust than just about anything I have seen.

I got it wrong I am using the Chatham 5R4WGA (probably made by Tung-Sol?) - spec sheet here.

I have them in my preamp (2) and the DAC.

For the cost I recommend anyone give them a try.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I had 2 mashers and even gave Lukasz one. Chathams. The original monoblics used then and burned them out fast. KR anniv recti has extra tjink glass and 100x times vacuum pressure vs stock 5u4g. Those suckers will last a loooing time. I need to get me one.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Still...in the Atlantic, the Masher is royalty. I give you that.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I had 2 mashers and even gave Lukasz one. Chathams. The original monoblics used then and burned them out fast. KR anniv recti has extra tjink glass and 100x times vacuum pressure vs stock 5u4g. Those suckers will last a loooing time. I need to get me one.

You got some duff ones then. Hard to achieve I would have thought. The B version went through some crazy testing, whole batches being rejected if only one was wrong. The glass is amazing on the Chatham's. PQ of AN likes them so I am told. So do I.

Trying the Cunninghams in the revised DAC now. Sounding so markedly different to the RKs or anything Eastern European it is just a great roll.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Are they he globe ones ? Nice tubes for easy listening for me.
Too laid back for real playing .

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Playing the we300b psvane with the cheapo recti
Not bad overall. Can’t wait to get my eml mesh back

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
You got some duff ones then. Hard to achieve I would have thought. The B version went through some crazy testing, whole batches being rejected if only one was wrong. The glass is amazing on the Chatham's. PQ of AN likes them so I am told. So do I.

Trying the Cunninghams in the revised DAC now. Sounding so markedly different to the RKs or anything Eastern European it is just a great roll.

Not duff. Mine is still going strong. Its the ones in the monobloc amps that died as driver tubes, I thjnk. I have recommended them to all my friends with Atlantics and GG as a good backup. I have tried others from Golum too.

Yes the Cunninghams are excellent female jazz vocalist tubes.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
It was a mil spec tube. There's some interesting info here: http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=252698

I'd be prepared to bet there's nothing made since that can beat its altitude or G force ratings. It had the benefit of massive US military budget behind it.

I'd be amazed if the triple thick glass KR are using is a rugged as the hardened glass in the Chatham.

Still, it was never designed for audio use, but it is one phenomenal achievement I would say.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
It was a mil spec tube. There's some interesting info here: http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=252698

I'd be prepared to bet there's nothing made since that can beat its altitude or G force ratings. It had the benefit of massive US military budget behind it.

I'd be amazed if the triple thick glass KR are using is a rugged as the hardened glass in the Chatham.

Still, it was never designed for audio use, but it is one phenomenal achievement I would say.

But you are aware, that most of us listen at levels around 50 to 1000 meters above sea level, without shaking oder driving or flying the DAC around? :rolleyes:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Ked is now the proud owner of a brand new potato masher. I have given him my spare, since I don't think the ones I have will ever fail.

In my DAC we both thought it better than the KR 5U4G white base.

Did a mass of rapid rolling today. RK300B, 242, Anniversary 45, PX25, CX-345, Marconi PX4 with both rectifiers being swapped in and out and with Air Tight passive and my active pre using 2 mashers and Tesla E88CC Cross Swords, with 211 mono power amps using Amperex 211s.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes, the masher in Justin's system sounded really good. It seemed to have more body, bass, ease.

We did tube compares with his active valve pre and with his airtight passive. With the active, I preferred PX25 the most, followed by RK 300b. The special 45s sounded a bit flat and the 242s sounded average. The RK 300b bass was the highest and I can see why Justin prefers these on his electronic music.

On the passive pre, the special 45s sounded the best, along with the Cunningham 45s. The PX25 and RK did not sound as good though I still preferred the PX25 to the RK. The 242 were sounding a bit hard but nice otherwise, still not the 242 sound I am looking for.

Overall, Justin's system sounds much better with the new big 7 then it did with the previous one.

I think RK 300b, RK PX4 and T100 shootout should be the next

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Ok, I give up. What is a potato masher? Thanks, Larry

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Yes, the masher in Justin's system sounded really good. It seemed to have more body, bass, ease.

We did tube compares with his active valve pre and with his airtight passive. With the active, I preferred PX25 the most, followed by RK 300b. The special 45s sounded a bit flat and the 242s sounded average. The RK 300b bass was the highest and I can see why Justin prefers these on his electronic music.

On the passive pre, the special 45s sounded the best, along with the Cunningham 45s. The PX25 and RK did not sound as good though I still preferred the PX25 to the RK. The 242 were sounding a bit hard but nice otherwise, still not the 242 sound I am looking for.

Overall, Justin's system sounds much better with the new big 7 then it did with the previous one.

I think RK 300b, RK PX4 and T100 shootout should be the next

For Ked's material I agree PX25 seemed a good option. In the few weeks I had it, I didn't use it much at all.

In recent weeks I've found myself using the RK 300B, and EML Anniv 45 the most. 242, PX25 and my own KR PX4 hardly at all.

Just this last Saturday, though, I was surprised how well the Cunningham CX-345 is performing in this variant of what was one of the very first hardwired Big 7s. The circuit has altered, but it is still hardwired and it has the active triode loading found in some GG2 and optional in the Pacific, but it only uses one 6N6P (both halves), as opposed to 2 (using one half I guess). It also has some big meaty Jupiter caps and the original lower rated Duelands. Not really a Big 7 anymore.

Marconi PX4 is good too, with both that and the Cunnigham's providing alternative mid range presentation that for me somehow tends to sound a bit less hi-fi and a bit more tonally embellished. A touch more real sounding especially with acoustic instruments. Its a small difference but it is enough to notice. You notice it more when you aren't switching valves every few minutes like we were for quick compares.

The Marconi seems to merge things or blend them together so you don't think bass, mid and treble like you tend to with KR / EML valves. It sounds more like your attention is being drawn to the music rather than hi-fi. But when you listen with hi-fi ears, it is hard to deny the attraction of the Eastern European efforts, that technically appear to perform better when you consider individual elements and not the cohesive whole.

Tempted to try the EML AD1 on adapters to UX4 just because no one else seems to have done.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing