Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2728293031323334353637

Thread: Golden Gate 2 Reactions

Quote Originally Posted by Sablon Audio View Post
    Agreed but I think people have simply been using them in series on hot output. Lampi dacs typically run quite hot on the output voltage, up to 6v rather than the 2v standard
    I wonder why Lukasz does that (high output voltage on dacs). Even with 300B I normally listen at the 9 o'clock position on my pre. I've found this quote at Rothwell site:
    "Here's the solution to a problem from which far too many audiophiles suffer - too much gain in the system. The symptoms are easy enough to spot - the volume is plenty loud enough with the volume control set to the 9 o'clock position, too loud with the volume control at 10 o'clock, and fine control at low levels is impossible. This may seem like nothing more than a minor irritation, but in truth the performance of the system is being compromised. Although potentiometers work reasonably well over most of their operating range, they are notoriously problematic at extreme settings. The most obvious problem is channel imbalance - one channel will fade out (or fade in) quicker than the other, causing the stereo image to shift to one side - but on a more subtle level, the music may sound veiled and indistinct with the volume control turned down to the point where it is nearly off".
    Is this true? Is the sound quality affected in any way, if I usually listen at the 9 o'clock position?
    Thanks.

I think the history might be to have sufficient gain for his passive volume stage
    Owner www.sablonaudio.com, PF & 6M award winning custom audio cables

Dealer for SGM Music Server

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abeidrov View Post
    I wonder why Lukasz does that (high output voltage on dacs). Even with 300B I normally listen at the 9 o'clock position on my pre. I've found this quote at Rothwell site:
    "Here's the solution to a problem from which far too many audiophiles suffer - too much gain in the system. The symptoms are easy enough to spot - the volume is plenty loud enough with the volume control set to the 9 o'clock position, too loud with the volume control at 10 o'clock, and fine control at low levels is impossible. This may seem like nothing more than a minor irritation, but in truth the performance of the system is being compromised. Although potentiometers work reasonably well over most of their operating range, they are notoriously problematic at extreme settings. The most obvious problem is channel imbalance - one channel will fade out (or fade in) quicker than the other, causing the stereo image to shift to one side - but on a more subtle level, the music may sound veiled and indistinct with the volume control turned down to the point where it is nearly off".
    Is this true? Is the sound quality affected in any way, if I usually listen at the 9 o'clock position?
    Thanks.
    You can adjust the Lampi gain by sending back. At the end of the day instead of reading on the Rothwell site you have to decide if the end result sounds right to you or if you hear a channel imbalance. In analog too different carts have different gains. Here by rolling tubes and finding the right pre you have to manage the overall gain.
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    You can adjust the Lampi gain by sending back. At the end of the day instead of reading on the Rothwell site you have to decide if the end result sounds right to you or if you hear a channel imbalance. In analog too different carts have different gains. Here by rolling tubes and finding the right pre you have to manage the overall gain.
    Sending the dac back and living without music for 2 - 3 months is not an viable option imho. I am not worried about a channel imbalance, and I do not hear any. Also, I did not hear any sound degradation, when I compared my previous dac, Lampi L4, to the Aqua Formula. Just curious, if the quoted statement above has some merit.

Here we go. Much cheaper molybdenum valves, including a 300B.

https://www.monoandstereo.com/2018/0...m=facebook&m=1

Oops just realised someone raised a thread for these...
    Last edited by User211; 09-21-2018 at 03:34 AM.

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2728293031323334353637