Cartridge for Triplanar arm?

Gemini

Oct 14, 2015
Germany
Dear All,

I would be interested in suggestions for a new cartridge which would work well on a Triplanar arm. I currently have a Tranfi Proteus but would like to try something new. A Dynavector XV–1s come to my mind but there must be other options. Would perhaps an Etsuro Urushi work? Any ideas are welcome. Phono stage is an Allnic H3000.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I used to own a triplanar. It’s a great arm. One of my favorite cartridges to mate with it is a Allaerts mc2 finish. I also used a Lyra atlas. Maybe the Lyra Etna although I haven’t tried it ...

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
I used to own Triplanar too. FWIW, my favorite cartridge was Benz LP...

Gemini

Oct 14, 2015
Germany
Thanks for the tips so far. The Lyra Etna seems to be very popular and certainly something I will try to audition. I hadn't thought of the Jan Allaerts MC2 and will need to check it out. On paper it looks like a very good option as well. Maybe someone is able to share some ideas how these cartridges compare?

The Benz LP is no longer in production and the Benz LP S doesn't seem to be a direct successor model?

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
It is. It’s just heavier and has MR sylus.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Gemini,

I also use the Allnic H3000. I also use a KR Audio 5U4G rectifier tube, and recomend these wholeheartedly. The cart that I have recently started using with it is the new and little known about Aidas PanzerHolz Diamond. It is very very good, and sensible cost with a specification above anything at this price point, ie, PanzerHolz body, Sapphire cantilever, MicroFine polished diamond stylus. Record surface is noise is non existent, this is cd quiet between tracks, which is exceptional. I use a SEAC WE506, not Triplanar tonearm.

Good luck in your search :)

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I have two triplanar

I use dynavector’s either xx2 or XV, with great success

Also Carnegie mc1

I use the damping, and removed the bias weight, and replaced the wiring with silver wire

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I always liked Koetsus on Tri-planar arms. I have my Jade on my 7U2.

Gemini

Oct 14, 2015
Germany
Thank you for all the fresh ideas.
I have not heard about the Aidas cartridge before.
@Jack: I would have thought that Koetsus (13 grm.) are too heavy for the Triplanar which is said to prefer medium-weight cartridges?

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Here is the Aidas on my Nasotec Swing headshell and SAEC WE506/30. I really do not know how it would sound on a Triplanar, but from what I am hearing in this set-up, for the money ($1850) it will soon get a lot more attention.

tts-aidas-nasotec-7.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing