Sony BRAVIA OR BRAVIA OLED

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I’m about to buy the C7 2017 model. Is there any particular reason you went with a 2016 model other than saving $200 ?

mine is the 2017 version. The only difference between 2017 and the current one is a slight difference in brightness.

Once again the deal here is not only 4K but also HDR which few if any 4K OLED's have

I used to be a huge Sony zealot and this was the only brand I would buy until I saw the comparison between LG OLED and Sony. In reality the comparison for me was so convincing that I have never bought another Sony TV

Steve Williams

Congrats, Steve! Enjoy real blacks and the heightened sense of reality it brings, together with 4K.

Do you have a 4K Blu-ray Player to go with it?

Hi Yash

Although the fun part is now being able to stream in 4K I am only now starting to consider a 4K Blu-ray player

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Hi Steve,

Congrats on the new purchase. Highly recommend that you adjust your LG per the CNET settings. Makes a great picture even better. I also cross referenced other internet calibration settings and their appears to be surprising unanimity on this tweek.

Navigating the LG menu to make the adjustments was a bit funky for me.

Hope you and family are well.

Best,

Gordon

Steve Williams

Hi Steve,

Congrats on the new purchase. Highly recommend that you adjust your LG per the CNET settings. Makes a great picture even better. I also cross referenced other internet calibration settings and their appears to be surprising unanimity on this tweek.

Navigating the LG menu to make the adjustments was a bit funky for me.

Hope you and family are well.

Best,

Gordon

Thanks Gordon

Can you point me to the CNET link for that

I just purchased a new 4K Apple TV for the room.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
If you have an LG OLED the latest firmware has a picture setting of "technicolor", this is from the technicolor lab in Hollywood and is great.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Hi Yash

Although the fun part is now being able to stream in 4K I am only now starting to consider a 4K Blu-ray player

There are quite a few 4K titles on Netflix already (I believe Amazon's service also has some). Quality varies quite a lot though, down to the Marvel shows which unfortunately have digitally added grain filters.

Expect a massive step-up when you try out a 4K Blu-Ray player with a 4K Blu-Ray disc, both with HDR on your TV.

Enjoy!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
If you have an LG OLED the latest firmware has a picture setting of "technicolor", this is from the technicolor lab in Hollywood and is great.

That is the new rage. It puts them in a higher league, everyone wants "Technicolor" now. If you buy a new TV look for the 'Technicolor' logo from Hollywood's Laboratories.

The only thing missing, a great feature for movie aficionados and lovers and videophiles is . . . 3D.

I know, for regular people it's no big deal, but for irregular people, way of speech, it is a big deal.
Just imagine...new 3D Technicolor from Hollywood Movie Labs.
Disney movie studios and Marvel and PIXAR would be real proud. Add 3D Dolby Atmos to that and you get the "Tesla" of Hollywwod movie industry.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets ... in full 3D immersive moving pictures and sounds.
That, is the ultimate cinema experience ... Dolby Cinema @ home in (((Real 3D))).
The closest we can get to reality...imported from Hong Kong...ya baby.
Short of that we have 2D 4K to watch on our brand new OLED TVs, with the new 2D Technicolor upgrade/logo. Still excellent but short of the absolute best, IMHO.

Anyway, that new Technicolor upgrade puts the LG OLED TV closer to the Sony OLED A1E TV. Some even dare to say that it puts them @ a superior advantage now.

2018 should be the best year of our lives.
___

? https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/valer...-copy-limited-edition-steelbook/11534599.html

Last edited:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Thanks Gordon

Can you point me to the CNET link for that

I just purchased a new 4K Apple TV for the room.

Hi Steve,

Tried to attach link. Not very tech savvy. Google "cnet lgoled tv settings". Should work with your tv.

Best,

Gordon

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last edited:

EDLIU

Jun 30, 2017
The Sony BRAVIA OLED and some other series are made in Japan. Are they really better than the ones that are made in, say China?

Another question, are the Sony BRAVIA OLED TV motherboards made in Japan too? Some say that the Sony OLED TV motherboards are provided by a Taiwan company.

Thanks.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I just don't know; some audio electronics made in Japan is really good and they usually have better quality control than electronics made in China. I have no knowledge on Sony TVs made in Japan versus made in China. I have zero bias when it comes to the best.

Again, I have zero clue about the motherboards assembly origin. I could probably dismantle the Sony A1E and check the internal motherboard to have 100% confirmation. And say it says made in Taiwan; I have no idea if it means the best or not.
___

There are two things I look in a TV:
1. Best picture for my own use (me it's for strictly watching movies in hi-def and ultra hi-def...2D & 3D)
2. Reliability

We all have different set of criterias. A TV can also be used for DVD, cable, satellite, apps.
Some want good sound from the internal speakers.
Apps are important for few.
Money is a consideration for many.
Tra-la-la etc.

Today with the internet we can have anything we want, almost.
We can find out more than ever, much much more than when we didn't have computers...fifty years ago.

And one extremely important thing: What today we buy and is the best, tomorrow might not be any more.

Cheers,

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
In your first post you asked about Sony BRAVIA or BRAVIA OLED.

In my first reply I provided a video, now deleted because the young 25-year old reviewer was simply swearing a lot, way too much for a hi-end class of civilised people like us here. I agreed with Gordon, and removed it.

That Sony Bravia TV was this model, a FALD LED TV, the X900E:

I am not an expert on TVs, I just read the reviews from the pros and the owners, to learn for myself like anyone else. In one of my above posts the two TVs I mentioned are considered the two very best. They are both the 2017 models, and without the 3D feature, of course.

Some older 4K TVs, LED and OLED (Plasma is dead, and never made it to the 4K territory), from Sony and LG had the 3D capability, the 2016 models, some of them, and from previous years of course (3D is dead dead in 2017 TVs).

* I posted that short video above on the Sony Bravia X900E because I thought it was interesting to see where the 4K TV world can take us from the professional expert reviewers.

Image burn-in is certainly a reality with OLED, as it was with Plasma.
And it depends of each viewer's habits. In another thread I provided some educational links...LG OLED screens from their android phones and from their 4K TVs.

A year from now we'll learn even more, and in 2018 new 4K OLED TV models will be introduced.
...And with HDMI version 2.1 jacks. The times, our time is flying fast, and it will fly even faster tomorrow.

For now, today, the Sony A1E and LG C7 OLED 4K TVs are considered the very best.
I celebrate with great joy with their owners, in in particular with the Sony Bravia model A1E owners because I prefer its design, engineering, video processing chip, latest technology in TV sound, and overall awe...performance and romance.

I'm happy too for Sony, and LG. They are living in the best of our times. ...Even without 3D because I understand the technology and business process.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing