Can't seem to agree on anything & jazz recordings sound great

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I needed to step out of the food fight on the other thread that MikeL started where he asked a simple question-do you notice more flaws in your recordings as your system gets better? My original answer to this thread was that IMO, as your system evolves and truly gets better, I do believe that your recordings should sound better as a whole and not worse. I used Sonny Rollins Way Out West as an example of a recording that probably no one back in 1957-1958 had any idea of how good it really sounds.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think that some people were going to jump in and say WOW is really not a very good recording. I never tried to say it was the best recording ever made, but I will stand by my remarks that it will still put to shame many modern recordings. Which leads me to my next thought:

I think as a genre, Jazz has always been some of the best recorded music we have and I certainly find that on average, most jazz recordings sound really damn good. I can't think of a another genre of music that routinely captures so realistically the sound of drums and cymbals. I find it very common to hear air coming off the cymbals as they are struck in jazz recordings-lots of air. The sound of acoustic bass, piano, and horns also sounds really good meaning they sound very natural.

I am very much a Johnny-come-lately to jazz and certainly don't have a large collection (yet). I am still dumbfounded however by how great jazz sounds that was recorded in the 1950s and 1960s. Some people on this forum don't want to give any credit for the final sound quality to the gear that was used to record the albums which confounds me and defies common sense. In these days of loudness wars and 0dB recordings with no dynamic range brought to you in a perfect digital recording, I find jazz recordings to be a breath of fresh air to the ears. When I put on a jazz recording, I expect it to sound very good. That doesn't mean it is always so. However, I don't make that assumption with other genres of music.

mep

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Yep. late 50s/early 60s vintage jazz recordings can be fabulous. I think it mostly has to do with acoustic instruments, recorded simply and well in lively rooms as opposed to the isolation booths, close-micing techniques and layers of overdubs we've gotten since the 70s. Great analog recordings have been made that way too, I just think it's a lot harder. By the way, Mep, I think you're being a bit sensitive about the other thread. My copy of Way Out West does not reveal one of the great recordings of that era, but as I said over there, you have a different master, so I don't know about yours. I'd hardly call that a food fight, but if you want to avoid having your opinions challenged, you might want to avoid opening your post with a couple of them:

I am going to name two LPs that will knock your socks off assuming you have a decent system: Sonny Rollins "Way Out West" and the 45 RPM version of Herbie Hancock "Maiden Voyage."

And in your next post...

Please name me one jazz recording that has been made in the last 15-20 years using all the *finest* digital technology and non-tube microphones that can rival just the two LPs I named in terms of sound quality.

If you're going to lay down a challenge, I think you give up the right to be surprised when someone picks it up. If you're going to imply that anyone who doesn't hear the way you do lacks a "decent system," you might even expect it.

Tim

Robert

Nov 10, 2010
Well, of course it is difficult to generalize about all jazz recordings over 30-40 decades, the few that I heard leave very much to be desired. I will admit that I am not a fan of jazz, but I have tried. Many of the recordings have now reached some legend status and I am sure the liner notes go on about the genius of the recording engineers and the foresight of the producers. However, my impression was that at least some of these sessions were recorded under some very sparse situations, sometimes with novices to recording. Again, not my area of expertise, so I'll put on my flame suit.

I do have something by Count Bassie that sounds very impressive. But what I have by Coltrane, Evans, Brubeck, Pepper and Hartman just don't seem to stand-out for the recording aspect. If you are moved by the performance, then great. I almost wonder if a great performance leaves the impression of a great recording because it makes you feel good. I don't think I've heard WOW to make any specific comment.

Ok. Flame away. I'm ready. You can pepper IMO on that post as well.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Tim-Points well taken and I still stand by my comments. I just don't think it was fair to Mike to stray so far off topic on his thread. I do believe that both WOW and Maiden Voyage will knock your socks off in a good system. They are both really good recordings with Maiden Voyage sounding the more modern as it should (less hard pan-potting).

With regard to my "challenge" that I laid down, it devolved into Raul saying that WOW was a mediocre recording at best which simply floored me. I would love to compile a list of jazz recordings that sound as good or better than the two I listed that are modern digital recordings if for no other reason so that I can hear them and judge for myself.

With regards to my last statement, I stand by what I said with regards to WOW. If you truly feel/believe that WOW is a bad or mediocre recording, something is dead wrong. Again, I am not trying to say it's the best jazz recording known to man, simply that it is an outstanding sounding recording, specially given its 1957/1958 provenance. I have no idea how the CD sounds, I don't know it and can't speak for it. I am only speaking for the LP from Analog Productions.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
With regards to my last statement, I stand by what I said with regards to WOW. If you truly feel/believe that WOW is a bad or mediocre recording, something is dead wrong.

There is something wrong, Mep, or at least very, very different. You're listening to a re-master made for an audiophile audience, I'm not. I am probably listening to a straight transfer of the master tape to digital, if not a copy of the master. Even at that, I wouldn't call Way Out West bad or even mediocre in the pejorative sense of that word. Average for the era would be more accurate. I could supply you a long list of jazz recordings, vintage and modern, analog and digital, that sound better than my copy of Way Out West. But there wouldn't be much point in that.

By the way, welcome to jazz. The catalog is so deep and so rich you could probably spend the rest of your life exploring and never get past the 60s.

Tim

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Robert-I'm glad I took a look at your profile before I asked you what gear was in your system. I wish everyone would list the gear that makes up their system. You have a very, very nice digital playback based system. Therefore, I assume all of your above comments are with regards to hearing CDs over your system. I have some recordings by most of the artists you named above. Can you name some particular recordings by these artists that you find lacking and I will see if I own any of the same recordings (even though mine will be on LP) so I can form my opinions? I certainly never meant to imply that all jazz recordings sound great, just that many are reallly good.

I have always respected jazz from afar and knew it to be great music and great sounding music. Like you, I just never "got it" in the past. I am primarily a rock guy, but I find that changing now so that I currently listen to rock and jazz about 50/50.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Tim-I would appreciate a list as short or long as you would like to make it of "must have/essential" jazz recordings. If you don't want to post it here, feel free to PM me or email me. Thanks.

mep

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
Having a lot of jazz recordings, most of them 50s and 60s and classical music from the same period I’m inclined to say that you can almost hear the recording date.
Not only tape hiss is prominent but especially when a piano is playing legato you can hear the wow and flutter of the capstan. The grand piano of the 50s sounds like a pianola, the cello like being made of paper instead of wood.
You can simply hear the limitations of the recording technique of that time.
The same with Jazz, nothing wrong with Rudy van Gelder but you can simply hear the limitations of his gear.
Not that is matters, a great performance is a great performance.
My favorite performance of Beethoven’s piano sonatas is by Wilhelm Kempff (60s)
I love his interpretation but again, there are better recordings.
For me it is a bit like watching an old movie. The first thing that strikes you is that there is no color. After a while you get used to it.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Vincent-I checked your profile and see no system information unless I'm missing something. Can you please let us know about your system as a point of reference? Thanks.

Mark

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I can't think of a better place to put the list, though understand that they're not all great-sounding recordings. Some of the best stuff in the genre was recorded before the technology crossed the line that allowed those classics of the BeBop/Cool/HardBop eras to sound so fabulous. With that said, lots of people would make different choices, but these are a few of my favorite things...

Miles
Birth of the Cool
'Round About Midnight
The Legendary Prestige Quintet Sessions
Kind Of Blue
Sketches of Spain
Porgy and Bess

Coltrane (I'm not a huge fan; I like him best as a sideman, but it's hard to deny the genius of...)
Giant Steps
A Love Supreme
Blue Trane

Cannonball
Somethin' Else (as much a Miles record as a Cannonball record, and one of my all-time favorites)
Cannonball and Coltrane
Sextet Live in New York

Mingus
Ah Um

Monk
Brilliant Corners
Monk's Dream
Monk's Music

Bill Evans
Portrait In Jazz
Conversations With Myself
Waltz For Debby

Dave Brubeck
Time Out (Don't let anybody convince you this is lightweight because it is accessible, this is brilliant stuff)

There are many, many more. Getz, Gill Evans, Wayne Shorter, Art Blakey, Chet Baker, Dizzy, Joe Pass, Oscar Peterson...don't start me talkin', I'll tell everything I know....

I'm not a big fusion fan, but I love Herbie Hancock before and after that side trip. At some point, steel yourself to ignore the old thin recordings and dive into Charlie Parker, Louis Armstrong, early Ella and Sarah Vaughn. Take an open-minded look at what Joni Mitchell has done in the genre. But primarily, get the best recordings of the main players -- Miles, Coltrane, Cannonball, Evans, Monk, etc. Look at who the sidemen are and follow them to other projects and sometimes wonderful careers as band leaders. It'll keep you busy for a long, long time.

Tim

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
They spined on my system very recently :

Errol Garner "Concert by the Sea" (very poor sound quality, great performance)
Eric Dolphy "Out to Lunch!" (great music with great sound)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Tim-Thanks so much for the thoughful list. Some of your selections I have and many I don't. I just bought Somethin' Else last Friday and I like it. I have several Art Blakey LPs and like them very much as well. I have already mentioned the Herbie Hancock Maiden Voyages as a great sounding recording. I will start hunting down some of the others you mentioned that I don't have.

Mark

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Tim makes a good list. At some point nearly everyone played in Miles band. Check the players in the band for vocalists. Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Quincy Jones. If you look at the great players and the standard tunes you'll go far. You can also take the record labels like Blue note, Columbia, Prestige, etc and that will lead you. The internet makes it a lot easier. I remember I had to listen to the radio, hope the announcer would name the tune and try to have a pen ready.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I can't think of a better place to put the list, though understand that they're not all great-sounding recordings. Some of the best stuff in the genre was recorded before the technology crossed the line that allowed those classics of the BeBop/Cool/HardBop eras to sound so fabulous. With that said, lots of people would make different choices, but these are a few of my favorite things...

Miles
Birth of the Cool
'Round About Midnight
The Legendary Prestige Quintet Sessions
Kind Of Blue
Sketches of Spain
Porgy and Bess

Coltrane (I'm not a huge fan; I like him best as a sideman, but it's hard to deny the genius of...)
Giant Steps
A Love Supreme
Blue Trane

Cannonball
Somethin' Else (as much a Miles record as a Cannonball record, and one of my all-time favorites)
Cannonball and Coltrane
Sextet Live in New York

Mingus
Ah Um

Monk
Brilliant Corners
Monk's Dream
Monk's Music

Bill Evans
Portrait In Jazz
Conversations With Myself
Waltz For Debby

Dave Brubeck
Time Out (Don't let anybody convince you this is lightweight because it is accessible, this is brilliant stuff)

There are many, many more. Getz, Gill Evans, Wayne Shorter, Art Blakey, Chet Baker, Dizzy, Joe Pass, Oscar Peterson...don't start me talkin', I'll tell everything I know....

I'm not a big fusion fan, but I love Herbie Hancock before and after that side trip. At some point, steel yourself to ignore the old thin recordings and dive into Charlie Parker, Louis Armstrong, early Ella and Sarah Vaughn. Take an open-minded look at what Joni Mitchell has done in the genre. But primarily, get the best recordings of the main players -- Miles, Coltrane, Cannonball, Evans, Monk, etc. Look at who the sidemen are and follow them to other projects and sometimes wonderful careers as band leaders. It'll keep you busy for a long, long time.

Tim

Thanks for the shopping list Tim. Keep 'em coming!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Last edited:

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
The New York list looks pretty good but definitely is not catering to audiophiles (fortunately). I'm pretty familiar with all of Tim's favorites and think that they are a good place to start. Some of them even sound pretty good.;)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
If you are listening to jazz,I'm happy.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
mep - Thanks for starting this thread. I am also sorry at the turn Mike L's thread took...it leads to some interesting questions. Perhaps this will help redirect things back on track.

I too was a bit taken back by Raul's comments, but he is often a contrarian ; - ). I have a Japanese reissue, a 45 rpm reissue and an original copy of WOW -- I prefer the original. Generally recordings on the Contemporary label from that era range from well recorded to exceptional. I think WOW is somewhere between.

I recently purchased a couple of original LPs from the collection of Contemporary's founder, Lester Koenig, including a pristine mono copy of Art Pepper's 'Smack Up'...it may be the best sounding LP I own. The stereo copy of Teddy Edwards' "Teddy's Ready" ain't no slouch either! A few other Contemporary LPs of exceptional musical and recording quality include:

Barney Kessel, Ray Brown & Shelly Manne "The Poll Winners", M3535, 1957
Barney Kessel, Ray Brown & Shelly Manne "The Poll Winners Three", M3576, 1960
Art Pepper "Gettin' Together", S7573 (Pepper backed by Miles Davis' band), 1960
Sonny Rollins "And The Contemporary Leaders", S7564, 1959
Leroy Vinnegar "Leroy Walks Again!!!", S7608, 1963

I have a theory as to why the jazz recording of this era sound so good. It was the apex of pre-transistor technology. There were no overdubs. Many of the best records were cut in one or two days, so they were as close to a spontaneous live performance as possible. And by the way, those guys could play their asses off!

Tim - Great starting list for someone interested in exploring jazz; none are less than terrific. I have found that Columbia and Argo recordings from the mid-50's to mid 60's are often spectacular, provided you get the mono pressing and play back with a mono cartridge. The stereo recordings are more hit and miss. In my limited experience, the Blue Note records of that era while typically exceptional performances, are often sonic disappointments. Thank goodness for MusicMatters and Analogue Productions 45 rpm reissues. Original Impulse! recordings tends to be pretty good. Prestige, Atlantic and RCA are hit and miss sonics-wise. From the mid-70's to early 80's; Pablo records are a standout sonically. Of more recent vintage, Venus records from Japan are usually quite good recordings and I like their artists such as Ken Peplowski.

Although I usually prefer vinyl, I am not dogmatic regarding digital recordings. Some recent sonic gems with performances to match include:

Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band "The Phat Pack", Immergent, 2006
Arturo O'Farrill "Live In Brooklyn", Zoho Music, 2005
Anat Cohen "Clarinetwork: Live At The Village Vanguard", Anzic, 2010
Harry Allen & Joe Cohn "Hey Look Me Over", Arbors Records, 2006
Russ Reinberg "Blue Scarlett", Jazzed Media, 2006
Pearl Django "Swing 48", Modern Hot Records, 2003

Last edited:

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
The master alto sax player clean & sober with a world class back up group:

For some great new jazz check out: www.smallslive.com

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Here's another one I just discovered recently:

Diana Krall: The Girl In The Other Room.

This is a complete break from the tyranny of The Great American Songbook. There's not a standard to be found here, and for that, it's probably not nearly as popular as Krall's torchy, over-produced records. But it's a hell of a lot better. With songs from Tom Waits, Elvis Costello and Joni Mitchell, some purists probably don't consider it jazz at all. They're dead wrong. The singing is terrific. The piano playing is magnificent. The sound is gorgeous. I'd put this one up against the sound of any of the records of the golden era under discussion.

Krall needs to do more of this, and albums like Live In Paris. She'd be poorer for it, but a lot more jazz fans would understand what she is, which is the real deal, and one of the greats.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing