New phono Kronos

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Louis told me of this phono since it was a prototype. I understand his sound signature. He likes extreme transparency and resolution, super quiet, very open sound with, body, high extension, t ight quick bass but not floor shaken and majestic. Some find his tt a little laid back, but imo that depends on arm/cart on his tt. I think this phono will carry on his sonic signature. He also uses horns at his home reflecting his taste. Maybe thats why this phono is tube.

Kind regards,
Tang

Last edited:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I think this phono will carry on his sonic signature. He also uses horns at his home reflecting his taste. Maybe thats why this phono is tube.

Kind regards,
Tang

There’s also a common belief among many audiophiles that phono MUST be tubes! Or you have a Big Mac ;)!

david

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
There’s also a common belief among many audiophiles that phono MUST be tubes! Or you have a Big Mac ;)!

david

Ketchup too please!

Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Louis told me of this phono since it was a prototype. I understand his sound signature. He likes extreme transparency and resolution, very open sound with, body, high extension, t ight quick bass but not floor shaken and majestic. Some find his tt a little laid back, but imo that depends on arm/cart on his tt. I think this phono will carry on his sonic signature. He also uses horns at his home reflecting his taste. Maybe thats why this phono is tube.

Kind regards,
Tang

What horns does he have?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Chris F

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Louis does not have horns in his home system. His main speakers are Dynaudio Evidence. Amps are Absolare monoblocks, pre amp is some crazy custom passive thing with stepped attenuator and super high quality parts. Source is Kronos Pro/SCPS/Zyx with Kronos phono.

The Kronos phono is a partnership with Trulife Audio in Greece. It's based off the Trulife Argo which looks like this inside. (I own one)

IMG_2331.JPG

Step up into 12ax7/12au7 with ez81 rectifiers. Teflon board, point to point wiring etc... Trulife is similar to Ypsilon in that they wind their own transformers in house.

In the Kronos version the signal and power sections are in separate chassis. The signal section has a very high quality copper/brass chassis for emi/rf sheilding. input/output is unbalanced (don't think the reference has the convenience XLR out shown in the photo) but also an input straight from the tonearm which eliminates the phono cable/output block. There is a tone control/EQ feature which I think is implemented by dynamically moving the location of the upper/lower RIAA turnovers. There are more changes from the "normal" Trulife model but I am not sure of everything.

I heard my phono back to back with a nearly finalized version of the reference and the reference was clearly better. I agree with Tango's description of Louis's sonic priorities (the Kronos "house sound") and the phono reflects that. I think the internal step up has been optimized for low output MC with low internal impedance (aka: Zyx) so any cartridge with similar parameters (Lyra SL series, A95/Anna etc etc...) will be ideal. The MM stage is world class of course (tried it for fun with my 1200GR DJ setup) and you could use an external step up if you want/need less gain.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
back to Kronos phono, i think most of his sales will be to a Kronos holders... the logistics for put it together under their TT are very unique for Kronos...
but - as one said before (i cant remember who mentioned it when it was announced) most of the PP who owned some of the top Kronos must have some really great phono stage to begin with.

I know a Kronos Pro owner who has the CH.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Louis does not have horns in his home system...
In the Kronos version the signal and power sections are in separate chassis. The signal section has a very high quality copper/brass chassis for emi/rf sheilding. input/output is unbalanced (don't think the reference has the convenience XLR out shown in the photo) but also an input straight from the tonearm which eliminates the phono cable/output block. There is a tone control/EQ feature which I think is implemented by dynamically moving the location of the upper/lower RIAA turnovers. There are more changes from the "normal" Trulife model but I am not sure of everything.

Hello Chris,

I only said what he told me.. but maybe it's me assuming he has it at home.

Did the prototype you tried has fixed gain without load adjustment? Howmany inputs it offered?

Kind regards,
Tang

Chris F

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Hi Tango,

Actually you reminded me. He has an Altec voice of the theater horn based setup at the factory location. Totally forgot about that.

I don't know the final details of everything for the phono but I think like the Argo it will be fixed gain (24dB step up + 44dB MM) with fixed load via the step up. There is one input into the step up and one straight into the MM stage so two inputs but more like effectively one.

I found this video which shows the back and the case as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zP0Pjm0pjo

I think the Kronos phono has been in the works since the start of 2016 if not longer and Louis is expecting it to be directly compared to EMT JPA/CH P1+X1/Ypsilon etc..

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I don't know the final details of everything for the phono but I think like the Argo it will be fixed gain (24dB step up + 44dB MM) with fixed load via the step up. There is one input into the step up and one straight into the MM stage so two inputs but more like effectively one.

Hahaha.. This is so Louis :D. Effectively one input to be used with his Black Beauty. Only intended to have his customers extract most of what he wants his customers to hear.

Tang

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
You have the advantage of system synergy because you have CH the whole chain. You hear more CH strengths than others.

P1 without X1 is like a BigMc without ketchup though.

Tang

I disagree. I don't have the CH chain and the P1 is the best phono I have ever heard.

I passed on the X1 as it made only a very minor difference and in my opinion, wasn't worth the money.

Then again, I'm not a huge BigMac fan. :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I disagree. I don't have the CH chain and the P1 is the best phono I have ever heard.

I passed on the X1 as it made only a very minor difference and in my opinion, wasn't worth the money.

Then again, I'm not a huge BigMac fan. :)

And ketchup can take away the main burger taste

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
It was my understanding that Louis recently acquired Magico speakers. I could be wrong though...

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
My friend had Viva top preamp and Viva amp Aurora mono
He wanted to change Einstein phono and he tried at home Viva phono and my P1 and Kondo GE1
Bought P1,was really very good also in his system

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Then also like Tango told,P1 is a perfect match in his chain,but is good in other system,also we tried in the system of other my friend that has ML 32 and 33 and P1 in his system brought big improvment

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
And ketchup can take away the main burger taste

I guess you also dont dip when eating fish n chips then.
Yes, it was a silly analogy:p.

Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I guess you also dont dip when eating fish n chips then.
Yes, it was a silly analogy:p.

Tang

I hate fish and chips.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
It was my understanding that Louis recently acquired Magico speakers. I could be wrong though...

He and I speak quite often and he never mentioned getting Magico. But that doesn't mean he didn't. But I know what speakers he uses and he has many different makes and models.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing