Hard Point Trinia footers---very impressed

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
New listening room, Christian? Tell us more, perhaps in a dedicated thread or your system page.

New home I close on towards the end of Dec. The basics are a 18' x 28' x 9' room in the basement to work with. Need to sheet rock the ceiling move a door or two and re-wire it. Probably won't move the stereo there until summer next year.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Kool pics , look forward to reading more . Especially on the Tripoint , if that can be isolated .

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
note; the following is copied and pasted from my Taiko Tana thread as it's relevant here too.

ok; now we have curveball time. that completely unexpected thing that happens and you just have to stand back and go......really? i am going off topic here a bit but it's relevant to my whole system situation. the Taiko Tana direction has been brewing since almost a year ago now and it arrived on Friday. the timing was not mine......it happened when it could happen.

parallel to this direction for me was my use of passive footers, the Hardpoint Serene and Trinia. at first, about 6 weeks ago, i had one set of Serene's on the SGM, then i purchased 2 sets of the new version, the Trinia's, and then ordered 2 more sets of Trinia's.....which arrived......yesterday. so i'm in the middle of this Taiko Tana investigation and here are more passive footers. i already know they work well, but where should i try them now? easy to simply put the two new sets under the SGM and the 2nd power supply (to go with the original 2 sets of Trinia's already under the other MSB power supply and dac box), which then leaves a set of the Serene's left over.

i look around and see the Tripoint Troy Signature on it's stock footers sitting there on my hardwood over concrete floor behind the dart 458's. this is last night (Monday) after the previous Sunday night and Monday morning I've already listened and established a new vinyl reference. so i unplug the Troy Sig, roll it onto it's back on the carpet and remove the stock footers, and then gently place it on top of the Serene footers and reconnect everything (1st picture in post#62 above).

imagine somehow making your amplifiers more accurate, more focused, and more agile.

adding these attributes to what the Taiko Tana had already delivered to the vinyl was quite astonishing. and I've debated all day with myself, should i even post about it? it just confuses the issues. but it's really what i'm doing. tweaks. resonance control and various approaches to grounding or otherwise optimizing your signal path. it's all interconnected. how can it not be? Emile has posted about how the piezo effects and grounding effects are intertwined.

i cannot say if there are not 20 other passive footer products besides the Hardpoint Serene/Trinia that will supercharge your Tripoint Troy Signature; but no doubt that the Hardpoint delivers the goods in my particular system. and i'm going to quickly figure out a way to get a set of those puppies under my Tripoint Elite posthaste. low hanging fruit if you've already got the Tripoint kit.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
now backtracking to the MSB Select II and SGM now all 4 chassis (picture #2 in post 62 above) sitting on the Hardpoint Trinia's (as the Taiko Tana is now under the NVS), how does that compare with the Taiko Tana under the SGM? and now with the Serene's under the Tripoint Troy Signature?

overall better mostly, but not quite as good in some ways.

with the Taiko Tana under the SGM but without the Serene's under the Troy, we had a bit more overall detail and ambience. the Taiko Tana allowed for greater levels of information. but the energy and focus is now better as a net gain. overall i prefer it now.....but would like to add that greater level of ambient info. i'm thinking the Taiko Tana would be a step up put back under the SGM, or the dac box. which we will get to along the way here.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Very interesting report, Mike.

In photo #62 are your two stands on flat footer feet or on spiked feet (going into the carpet and the wood below and then into the concrete slab)?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Very interesting report, Mike.

In photo #62 are your two stands on flat footer feet or on spiked feet (going into the carpet and the wood below and then into the concrete slab)?

the two racks are spiked into the concrete floor (carpet + pad over 6" of concrete--no wood). through the carpet and pad. for the AS-2000 I will be cutting away a 'round' of carpet and pad to insure it's solid onto the concrete. since the Herzan stand does not use spikes.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Mike, tough keeping up with you . :D . I got my Tripoint on a first generation Stillpoint tripod ,
it ups its performance handily . Those now free , Tripoint brass footers work ell as damping weights . Try them on your AMinimus or even Posiedon , for some extra focus and control .

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
tonight i did try the Trinia's under the Tripoint Elite.

first i removed a set of Hardpoint Trinia's from one of the MSB power supplies, inserted A10 U8's, and listened to get a baseline for that configuration; which was Trinia's on the SGM, one power supply, and the dac box, and the Serene's on the Troy Signature.....along with the A10 U8's on the other power supply. the nuance and sparkle was down a small but noticeable notch with the Trinia's gone from that MSB power supply. still wonderful and special sounding.

next i removed the ground cables from the Elite, turned it over and removed the stock footers (huge brass cones) placed a BDR shelf down on top of large walker brass cones through the carpet into the concrete underneath, and stood on it to set it, placed the 4 Hardpoint Trinia's on top of the BDR shelf, and set the Elite down on the Trinia's. reconnected the ground cables, and sat down to listen.

stone cold and just connected it was better than before, more body and weight easily evident right off. after 10-15 minutes it was clearly quite a ways better and the body and weight were more nuanced, rich and textured. it had started to open up more and the musical flow was better too, more drive and energy. the bass was more impactful and fuller. bigger, bolder, and authoritative. this was with digital. similar with the vinyl; i especially noticed more rosin on the strings, much richer tone and weight, more body and more tonal weight on note decays. i'd say the system took on a more tonally rich presentation overall.

these are not huge changes, but easily heard and musically significant.

I've got to live with this for some time to see how it evolves, but i like the change a lot and consider it a good step up on both digital and vinyl. it seems that the Hardpoint takes both the Tripoint's further.

ET-1.jpg

ET-2.jpg

Attachments

• HP-1.jpg
    HP-1.jpg
    531.4 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, tough keeping up with you . :D . I got my Tripoint on a first generation Stillpoint tripod ,
it ups its performance handily . Those now free , Tripoint brass footers work ell as damping weights . Try them on your AMinimus or even Posiedon , for some extra focus and control .

just tried that, 2 on the Poseidon and 1 on the Atlantic Minimus......it might be better.....later i will remove them and see what i hear. these are the very heavyweight 4 inch tall brass cones on the Elite. i cannot remove the screw shafts from the Troy Sig footers to have a flat surface to use as damping weights. i tried but am concerned at ruining the threads.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Very interesting! I have found in our system that putting HRS/Stillpoints mass dampers on TOP of the Tripoint helps. It can take real weight to make a noticeable improvement...i have spoken at length with Miguel about this, and he was not surprised. Something to experiment with perhaps? The Tripoint currently is on top of 4 inches of birchply on top of 1.5 inches of slate (basically the construction of the equipment shelf)...and when i tried Ultra 5s underneath...i felt that putting them on top was a better improvement. I will try it again later just to check.

tonight i did try the Trinia's under the Tripoint Elite.

first i removed a set of Hardpoint Trinia's from one of the MSB power supplies, inserted A10 U8's, and listened to get a baseline for that configuration; which was Trinia's on the SGM, one power supply, and the dac box, and the Serene's on the Troy Signature.....along with the A10 U8's on the other power supply. the nuance and sparkle was down a small but noticeable notch with the Trinia's gone from that MSB power supply. still wonderful and special sounding.

next i removed the ground cables from the Elite, turned it over and removed the stock footers (huge brass cones) placed a BDR shelf down on top of large walker brass cones through the carpet into the concrete underneath, and stood on it to set it, placed the 4 Hardpoint Trinia's on top of the BDR shelf, and set the Elite down on the Trinia's. reconnected the ground cables, and sat down to listen.

stone cold and just connected it was better than before, more body and weight easily evident right off. after 10-15 minutes it was clearly quite a ways better and the body and weight were more nuanced, rich and textured. it had started to open up more and the musical flow was better too, more drive and energy. the bass was more impactful and fuller. bigger, bolder, and authoritative. this was with digital. similar with the vinyl; i especially noticed more rosin on the strings, much richer tone and weight, more body and more tonal weight on note decays. i'd say the system took on a more tonally rich presentation overall.

these are not huge changes, but easily heard and musically significant.

I've got to live with this for some time to see how it evolves, but i like the change a lot and consider it a good step up on both digital and vinyl. it seems that the Hardpoint takes both the Tripoint's further.

View attachment 37567

View attachment 37568

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I am listening to my system with two Troys and a pair of Empress on carpet right now. I REALLY wonder how it could get even better than this. It sounds like I am bragging my system sounds good. I really dont intend that. I am sure some other peoples systems in this forum here sound better than mine. But to think that my sound could get even better than this with the Elite and footers under them just really...cant think of words.

Tang

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I am listening to my system with two Troys and a pair of Empress on carpet right now. I REALLY wonder how it could get even better than this. It sounds like I am bragging my system sounds good. I really dont intend that. I am sure some other peoples systems in this forum here sound better than mine. But to think that my sound could get even better than this with the Elite and footers under them just really...cant think of words.

Tang

No doubt about it, Tang: the Elite will elevate your system significantly. And you do not need special footers to achieve this. Wait and see (or: hear). It is going to be Veni, vidi, vici.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Not to derail this thread (hope Mike understands) but here's a potential, and far less expensive anti-vibration footer alternative.

Just installed the Iso-Acoustics Iso Pucks between my speaker stands and my speakers. Very solid interface and, to my ears and for the price, a good return on value.

Available through Amazon and Music Direct with a money back guarantee if you don't like what they do. A two pack costs $60.

Best,

dude

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing