TotalDac D1 Seven

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Ah, jeez, here we go again. Can everyone please take a step back from the edge? This is a hobbyist’s forum. It is not a pissing contest. We are all on the same side, are we not? It is certainly OK to disagree, to argue, and debate, even forcefully, but for goodness sake, do it with respect. I have some very divergent opinions from those I consider my friends on this forum, and I wouldn’t expect or want it to be any other way. But I’m also quick to say I learn from virtually everyone. I don’t care if your system costs 1K or 1M. What you can teach me about gear and music is the reason I’m here. If that’s not why you’re here, then this forum will inevitably dwindle and/or implode. We want to grow and the only way to do that is to be more welcoming and tolerant. We welcome new members and invite them to express themselves freely.

There are only 2 simple rules. 1) Be a gentleman 2) Don’t be an a**hole
Don’t disparage anyone for any reason even if you know they violated rule #2. Courtesy costs you nothing.

I invite the moderators to close this forum unless it is pertinent to the OP.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
IMHO it is the responsibility of members and readers to know about other members biases, preferences and styles, not expecting them to tell all their life in every post.

Surely you're joking right? What else, their favorite color?

Seems we've hit a nerve on WBF that apparently has been discussed previously, but hasn't healed well. That's not the problem - the problem is the continued defensive posturing and outright push to shut it down. And I thought this was a forum for discussion.

I see no issue with being transparent; many caveat their response - reviewers, dealer, etc., how is this any different?

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I purchased Lampi much before the comments. And since have not purchased anything outside the used market. Or did you not notice I don't have a system.

You do understand apogee restorers and custom DIY horn manufacturers selling direct for tuppence could care two hoots for what I write on the forum

Thanks Ked, appreciate the transparency. This is bigger than just you IMO.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Surely you're joking right? What else, their favorite color?

Seems we've hit a nerve on WBF that apparently has been discussed previously, but hasn't healed well. That's not the problem - the problem is the continued defensive posturing and outright push to shut it down. And I thought this was a forum for discussion.

I see no issue with being transparent; many caveat their response - reviewers, dealer, etc., how is this any different?

Errr... Different that there's no caveat. You are the one who keeps on...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Surely you're joking right? What else, their favorite color? (...)

Sorry, I forgot about that one - you are wright, F. Toole refers in his book that the color of speakers influenced preferences.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Errr... Different that there's no caveat. You are the one who keeps on...

You missed the point, please reread the thread...

Steering back on topic - I'm very interested in the D1 Seven. The D1 Twelve is the best digital I've heard. Before I move forward and upgrade my Aqua I hope to do a compare to a D1 six or seven..

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So, you’re definitely going Aqua Formula to TotalDac?
Interesting, the Formula is something I was v interested in, TotalDac has little exposure in the UK (can’t find a dealer).

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
So, you’re definitely going Aqua Formula to TotalDac?
Interesting, the Formula is something I was v interested in, TotalDac has little exposure in the UK (can’t find a dealer).

Not definite. I've heard the TD Twelve and I'd bet the Six and the Formula are very close in detail retrieval and dynamics. The Aqua (as Mike has said previously) casts a huge sound stage and places instruments spatially that I don't think I quite heard even in the TD twelve; it's a unique and seductive attribute. however, I think the TDs have a bit more body.

The question for me then is - How is an upgraded Formula vs. D1 Seven. I think it's preference more than one being better than the other.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
You are the duck. The only one who will end up with solution raidho system is someone who has water in his ears

Well darn it you got me on that one.

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Hi all,
i know quite well the Totaldac d1-twelve, one of my best friend and neighbor get one and every time I compared it to my Six, I had a small tear, snifff !!! and yet I liked my Six very much.

Now with my new d1-seven (upgrade of my Six), I have infinitely less frustration in passing from one to the other !!! this Seven seems to have a lot of this special Twelve DNA in One Box. I like it so much, for me, it, probably, offers the biggest step in successive upgrades I did in Totaldac ... single, dual, six and now this stunning Seven !!!a great new reference in DAC one-box (Twelve, out of limits multi-box DAC) so amazing sound, body, soundstage, dynamics, harmonic richness, fluidity and all that with a really sense of music.

Now, I'm just waiting at the end of this week, Vincent Brient himself for the installation of his speakers d150 at home
probably a great moment of sharing and i hope, the really end of my quest !! who knows.

Be well

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Can I ask you TotalDac aficionados what the consensus is on the integrated dac-server options?
I’m coming from a more and more unique position, in being a reluctant adopter of computer audio/streaming, having a perfectly ideal cdp right now in my system.
I have no “feel” for streaming, but realise I can’t hold back doing this particular tide for long.
So, there are interesting dacs like Aqua Formula, T&A Dac8, Denafrips Terminator, Eera Meister, CAD and of course TotalDac.
The only reason I’m not going to mention Lampi is not the bad karma on the last few posts, but the fact I’m an odd one out in not rating it (certainly for rock, electronic and avant garde, it does nothing for me).
And of course we have any number of streamers from Elac, Auralic Aries, Innuous Zen/Zenith, Iodata Fidata, Melco, Aurender, Antipodes, CAD, and SGM.
TotalDac not sold via dealers in UK, so it’s a punt on sale or return/trial.
The q I need to ask is whether a TotalDac dac-server all-in-one is a truly no compromise product, able to hold its head up on both the streaming and D-A sides re SQ, and critically easy and intuitive to use.
Or are there compromises here, and dac and server really need to be seperate?

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Well,"the first price", Totaldac d1-core all-in-one is, already without doubt, a real "small" musical bomb with the dual power supply option and the USB GIGAFilter.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/totaldac5/1.html

For the rest, this last d1-seven with integrated server should do the job, too! but maybe this amazing DAC merit also a separate d1-server...it is at least my humble opinion! and sorry, I have no feel for streaming too but i know (I have it) that totaldac with their latest software developments (Mconnect HD player) is also doing pretty well job in this other world!

And TotalDac not sold via dealers in France too... but generally you just need a try.

PS : and i think that no compromised devices are a phantasm, just like no compromised systems, it does not exist,
but there are some, it is certain, which have less than others!

Last edited:

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Can I ask you TotalDac aficionados what the consensus is on the integrated dac-server options?
I’m coming from a more and more unique position, in being a reluctant adopter of computer audio/streaming, having a perfectly ideal cdp right now in my system.
I have no “feel” for streaming, but realise I can’t hold back doing this particular tide for long.
So, there are interesting dacs like Aqua Formula, T&A Dac8, Denafrips Terminator, Eera Meister, CAD and of course TotalDac.
The only reason I’m not going to mention Lampi is not the bad karma on the last few posts, but the fact I’m an odd one out in not rating it (certainly for rock, electronic and avant garde, it does nothing for me).
And of course we have any number of streamers from Elac, Auralic Aries, Innuous Zen/Zenith, Iodata Fidata, Melco, Aurender, Antipodes, CAD, and SGM.
TotalDac not sold via dealers in UK, so it’s a punt on sale or return/trial.
The q I need to ask is whether a TotalDac dac-server all-in-one is a truly no compromise product, able to hold its head up on both the streaming and D-A sides re SQ, and critically easy and intuitive to use.
Or are there compromises here, and dac and server really need to be seperate?

I don't think there's any consensus. I would recommend checking out CA for pros and cons. From what I recall the TotalDAC server ranks as very good. There's also DCS and many other brands (as you highlighted) SOTMs and Sonores etc. I do believe that few servers output dual AES so that likely makes the matching TotalDac server a better option assuming there's an optimization / synergy benefit. Either way you can't go wrong with a TotalDAC DAC / server combo, I prefer their flavor of D to A over MSB, DCS, Aries and maybe even Aqua. Of course it's all system and listener preferences...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I’ll consider the D1Core dac-server, that’s in the sweet spot re what I’m looking at for entry into streaming.
Can I confirm despite it being a one-box solution, it still requires a seperate USB cbl to in effect daisy chain two sockets on the same chassis?
And there’s a second psu option for the server section to add to the psu that comes as standard for the dac?

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
I’ll consider the D1Core dac-server, that’s in the sweet spot re what I’m looking at for entry into streaming.
Can I confirm despite it being a one-box solution, it still requires a seperate USB cbl to in effect daisy chain two sockets on the same chassis?
And there’s a second psu option for the server section to add to the psu that comes as standard for the dac?

You can consider this d1-core not only for streaming! it is real Totaldac with many of the attributes of his "bigger" brothers and don't forget that you can, as you want, like all Totaldac, upgrade it in all the top models.

And yes, the USB cable is neccessary even in the case of a One-box and yes again, it is an additional power supply dedicated to the server card.

If you can, try it in full options ! second PSU and USBGIGAfilier, you'll be, probably, surprised !

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
That’s a £5500 Dac1Core-server/£6250w 2nd psu/£8k plus GigaFilter USB, series of options.
At these price points there are some interesting options, but TotalDac is deffo on my radar now.

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
About the pricelist, i think it's in Euros not in £
so probably a little bit less, about £5000 for d1-core/server...etc.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I don't think there's any consensus. I would recommend checking out CA for pros and cons. From what I recall the TotalDAC server ranks as very good. There's also DCS and many other brands (as you highlighted) SOTMs and Sonores etc. I do believe that few servers output dual AES so that likely makes the matching TotalDac server a better option assuming there's an optimization / synergy benefit. Either way you can't go wrong with a TotalDAC DAC / server combo, I prefer their flavor of D to A over MSB, DCS, Aries and maybe even Aqua. Of course it's all system and listener preferences...

Where did you hear the Aries? Was it the Kassandra Ref II.

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Just for information, there has already been, on this babybear's system, a comparative Totaldac vs Aries Kassandra ref and without relaunching the debate with others DAC, everyone has their own personal preferences and there is probably no better Dac in the absolute, the main thing, being happy with his music! here we just try to talk about Totaldac and the amazing new d1-seven, in particular, really not so far from the d1-twelve !

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/5045

with that Babybear personal feeling that he explains well :

"I have heard the Aeries Cerat Kassandra DAC in my system. I am certain it was the Reference version. I have also heard it in a full Aeries Cerat system - preamp, amps, speakers. I think it is a good DAC but it wasn't for me.

Since I do listen to vinyl, I am always looking for a digital front end that makes me want to listen to digital and not just use it to warm up my system before I listen to vinyl. That is one of my key digital evaluation criteria.

The TotalDAC D1-Twelve is for me, in my system and my musical preferences the best digital front end that I have heard in my system and I have heard a fair number of the top digital performers. They are all good but its so important to hear them in the context of your own system to be sure you know what you are getting. If it was me, I would certainly try to audition the D1-Twelve in your system - it is a fairly significant step above the D1-dual. You still may prefer your Audio Note, but its certainly worth giving it a listen."

And that's all.

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Astrostar59, did you got my answer in private message ?!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing